StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had heated grips and a PowerHub2 installed on my '12 DL650. The shop that did the project noticed an unexpected wire coming off the battery in the direction of the front of the bike. He couldn't trace the full route without tearing off plastics, so simply told me about it. When he did, he pointed out a device attached to the wire near the battery. See photos below.

When I turn the bike on an LED flashes red, then green, then turns off.

The shop thought it may be something the previous owner installed to brighten the headlights. I haven't been able to get in touch with the PO to ask the question.

Anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
273 Posts
Huh...never knew such a thing existed.

Does the Wee have unusually bad speedo calibration?
No.. Pretty much all vehicles (cars and motorbikes) have some amount of inaccuracy in stock form and there are are additional factors that can throw it off even more such as gearing changes, tire size changes & etc... It bothers some people enough to fix it..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Huh...never knew such a thing existed.

Does the Wee have unusually bad speedo calibration?
I have seen ~10% under floated about depending on tyres and an assortment of other factors. Usually the suggested fix is a "speedo healer". Its a common complaint with a lot of modern vehicles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
All my cars' speedometers are pretty accurate, but my bikes are usually way off. They get worse when you change sprockets and all. I might ride with a GPS for a while to see how bad the speedometer's off, and then use my calibrated eyeballs to monitor my speed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
All my cars' speedometers are pretty accurate, but my bikes are usually way off. They get worse when you change sprockets and all. I might ride with a GPS for a while to see how bad the speedometer's off, and then use my calibrated eyeballs to monitor my speed.
I did just that, used a GPS to see how far out my speedometer was and once I got a better idea of the difference I took the GPS off. I might chuck the GPS back on at the beginning of the season this year to refresh my memory.

·
Super Moderator
4,508 Posts
My Wee displays 108km/hr at a true 100km/hr. I believe that manufacturers feel compelled (for legal reasons) to ensure that their speedo's are not pessimistic.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also found it odd that MCs came from the factory with inaccurate speedos. Surely the technology exists to, at minimum, ensure they're calibrated when they leave the line.

Back to the question at hand -- is there anything I need to do to 'recalibrate' the device? I've never done anything with it in the 2 years I've owned the bike, and I am running different tires than the stock Bridgestones that were on it when purchased.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I always have a GPS on my bikes....hold over from my flying days...anyway, all my bikes have seemed to always read about 4 or 5 MPH faster than what they are really going. I never bothered with trying to fix them. So many factors can change the indicated speed anyway. Something as simple as a few PSI difference in tire pressure, now much the tire tread is worn, etc. changes the reading. Calculating speed off the rate of the wheel rotation is an inherently imprecise measurement anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,508 Posts
Back to the question at hand -- is there anything I need to do to 'recalibrate' the device? I've never done anything with it in the 2 years I've owned the bike, and I am running different tires than the stock Bridgestones that were on it when purchased.
I would imagine that if you have one fitted that a PO has already calibrated it.
To confirm this use a speed app on your mobile phone, or a GPS to compare your actual speed with your indicated speed.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yup my k9 650 is off more than my other bikes so I installed the same speedo DRD. Just follow the link WildDoktor gave you and like he said, just follow their instructions and it will be quite easy to calibrate to your liking.
Just takes a number of rides to sort it out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Using an onboard Rand McNally TND530 GPS, my '17 DL650 is accurate to about 25mph/32kmh then it reads a fairly consistent 3mph/5kmh fast up to around ~75mph/120kmh, then increases irregularly as actual speed increases ,with 4600mi/7400km on the stock Battlax's.
Back in the mid-70's there was an irrational effort to reduce fuel usage by our train-riding, chauffeur-driven politicians to decrease fuel usage by limiting speedometer faces to 85mph/137kmh. The thinking was I suppose that if you didn't know how much faster you were going, you wouldn't go faster. 🥴 My '80 Kawasaki KZ750 has such a speedo and using an early Garmin eTrex GPS, is accurate to less than 1mph fast throughout its range with fairly fresh tires. They can be manufactured to read accurately.
For me, it hasn't bothered me enough to spend $70US for a speed calibrator; it's a ways down on my swag list. Then I'd start worrying how accurate the ambient air temp gauge is, then the voltmeter, the tach, the...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2004 Wee read 100kph at 92kph......headless drivers in Buicks were passing me.

A Speedhealer fixed that up, easy to calibrate.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
yes previous owner installed speedo healer, that part is used to program/confirm settings.

should be able to search for an online manual/you tube video to set/verify programming. maybe check accuracy first with gps/phone app etc. as mentioned first.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I always have a GPS on my bikes....hold over from my flying days...anyway, all my bikes have seemed to always read about 4 or 5 MPH faster than what they are really going. I never bothered with trying to fix them. So many factors can change the indicated speed anyway. Something as simple as a few PSI difference in tire pressure, now much the tire tread is worn, etc. changes the reading. Calculating speed off the rate of the wheel rotation is an inherently imprecise measurement anyway.

Good thing your bike doesn't calculate the speed off the wheels then!

Gen 2 and later get the speed from countershaft sprocket.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts