StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain was in this condition when I purchased the bike. I'm starting to work up some miles on it and I'm ready to do something about this gunk.

From what I've read I plan to clean it with kerosene and rags/brush.

Do people generally take the chain off to clean it? Seems like it'd be a major pain to keep the kerosene off things if not.

Not sure what product I'll use yet to lube it after the cleaning. Still reading about those (as usual, plentiful) options.

What is this on my chain at the moment though? I am of a mind I'd like to see it much less built-up and cleaner looking than this... by a lot!

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

· Registered
230 Posts
LOL... looks like it was undercoated!

· Registered
7,576 Posts
If need be, slack the chain all the way and dunk & clean in kerosene with a stiff fibre bristle brush. Some of the chain lubes are like that stuff, as well as some industrial open gear lubes that would do a good job but make a big mess.

· Premium Member
3,742 Posts
It's dried chain lube. As was said it will come off cleanly using kerosene.

To remove the chain would require removing the entire rear end of the bike or cutting and re-riveting the chain each time. It's a whole lot easier to clean the chain while it's on the bike. Just soak a rag with kerosene, and wipe the chain down. If necessary, LIGHTLY use a toothbrush moistened with kerosene to loosen dried on crud. If kerosene drips on something it won't hurt anything down there.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. Undercoating. :bom_laugh4: That's not bad.

Now to go find some chain lube somewhere. Not any nearby motorcycle shops, so this should be interesting.

Undercoating may stay on for a while, but at least I know how to clean the chain and to do it on the bike.

Mike

· $tromtrooper
2,395 Posts

· Registered
7,576 Posts
If you have a Lowes nearby, you can get DuPont Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant
Five dollars. Recommended.

· Registered
43 Posts
Chain

Pick up a grunge brush, it's great for cleaning chains. I would also clean the front and rear sprocket, paying close attention to the front sprocket area, it's probably full of that gunk. I think there are four bolts holding the cover. Lowes sells kerosene as well as the dupont multi lube in the blue spray can.
Good luck

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
The good news is that "it appears" the Previous Owner did lube the chain........maybe he did not clean it often, but at least it isn't "bone dry" which would have meant neglect. Clean it up good and you just might find a like-new chain underneath all that gunk!! Think of it as a "preservative". :biggrinjester:

· Registered
4,397 Posts

· Registered
759 Posts
+10 on the Dupont Multi-Lube from Lowes. :thumbup: Good stuff and plenty of people here use it faithfully.

Also, as mentioned, take a few moments and pull off the front sprocket cover and clean that area as well. I am sure it is caked up good and dirty. It is not hard to do and this simple process gets you a little more familiar with the bike.

· Registered
230 Posts
But does it taste like shit?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Really appreciate it.

Glad to report my cleaning effort went pretty well! Took a lot of effort, but I think it was worth it.

This chain was seriously gunked up and I couldn't get it all off even with several sessions with a kerosene soaked rag, but I got a hell of a lot off. I had to scrape some of it off between sessions where the kero/rag wasn't cutting through.

The chain was pretty well "preserved" under all that. :)

I've had the front sprocket cover off a few times since I've had it for clutch adjustments. That area wasn't all that bad surprisingly. I did scrape off some chunks that had built up there before, but the kerosene made short order of cleaning that up great.

I got the chain cleaned and dried as best I could, then held a rag behind it as I spun it and applied a coat of the Dupont Multi-Lube from Lowes. Let that dry a few minutes and did it again.

It's surprising how much easier and quieter the rear wheel spins when I give it a spin on the center stand now.

The inside side of the chain didn't get quite the same treatment, but I was able to get it pretty well too.

Mike

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.