StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just thinking that my KLR reminds me of my old jeep. Its rough, uncomfortable, and not very good on the highway. But it can pretty much go anywhere. What do you think the wee's car equivalent would be?

·
Administrator
17,232 Posts
Pacer or Gremlin.......

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Subaru Forester or Toyota Rav4.

Great on the road, capable commuters, good for highway trips and some reasonable dirt ability, but not full on 4WD capablities nor luxury touring.

Just like the Wee, neither a Goldwing nor a Tenere 660, sitting in the middle of the two ends of the spectrum.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's more like a Honda CRV, an economy model that does everything okay, isn't great at anything but bang for the buck, and reliable. Some people take it off road but that's pushing the envelope. Yeah Rav4 and Forester are good too.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
It's more like a Honda CRV, an economy model that does everything okay, isn't great at anything but bang for the buck, and reliable. Some people take it off road but that's pushing the envelope. Yeah Rav4 and Forester are good too.
Yes,

Or maybe a Ferarri with 10 sparkplugs missing.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
the equivalent is

my 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L part time 4WD, good off road, reasonable mpg on road, no frills, solid

mine rides rougher than most as I have the tow package (heavier springs)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was just thinking that my KLR reminds me of my old jeep. Its rough, uncomfortable, and not very good on the highway. But it can pretty much go anywhere. What do you think the wee's car equivalent would be?
I could accept the Forrester or rav4 as an equivalent, but for me the car equivalent is my old Volvo 850. Adequate power, handles better than you'd expect, has a really nice manual tranny, likes twisty roads, can handle the highway at 120/130 Km/h + but gets tiring at more than that, can do dirt roads (not off-road) quite nicely, and not necessarily pretty, thank you. That describes both vehicles. I've taken neither in the really ugly stuff. The leather seats in the car are nicer than the stock seat on the DL650, and there's less buffeting. But the DL is what I hope to be taking to Toronto this weekend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kia Soul. SUV looks but no all wheel or 4 wheel drive. Cheap, well made, does everything.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good call on the Forester. I think that's a perfect comparison. Gets the job done without the frills, rock solid and reliable. That being said I drove my Forester in off road situations where I would not take the Wee. I used it as a beach fishing buggy when we'd go to Mexico.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This thread explains why Im so comfortable on my new(to me) Vee
we have a 2011 forester as well, though it is probably better off road than the DL:mrgreen:

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
So most of you think the best analogy is a cute ute?:jawdrop:

:headbang:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I like the Forrester comparison. Perhaps the standard Forester to the Wee and the XT version to the Vee. I had he XT great little do it all vehicle, but not the best in any one catagory.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
For me the best comparison is a small truck, not a car. Something like a Base 4 cyl. Manual Trans. Toyota Tacoma 2WD. Similarities would be: Limited passenger space, good commuter, can haul a decent amount of stuff (assuming bags on the Wee), decent mpg, nimble handling, few creature comforts, adequate on the highway but can get pushed around by the wind, okay for some off-road travel but nothing too rugged, very reliable and easy to maintain, affordable, etc.

The DL1000 would be the same thing with the 6 cyl. motor. By contrast, the BMW R1200GS would be more like a Ford F-150 XLT.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts