StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are guys out there that have done it so here goes. What is a safe way to remove the bolt covers on the bar clamps? I would like to rotate my bars back a little to keep the handguards from hitting the console and thought this would be an easy solution. I could take it back to the dealer to have them do it since they put it together that way but I just don't like dealing with people and would rather do it myself. I'm guessing I'll have to rotate the controls as well to keep them in the right orientation. Eventually I'm looking at putting pullback risers on so this information will be needed for that as well.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Finger nails work if you have strong ones, or a pocket knife. Just be careful you don't slip and cut yourself;)

Jerry

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I use my nail or a jewlers screw driver. Try not to rotate the bars with the clamps drawn down, as the aluminum is more malable or softer than the steel. Also the bars have lateral cuts in then clamp area, so they will bite into the aluminum, if you rotate them while they are drawn down, you also will remove aluminum from the clamp assembly. Its easier if you have 2 people, then you can remove all tension, position the bars and have the hand tighten them down. Also you cannot rotate the switch asseblies as there is a plastic pin on each side that inserts into a small hole in thew hanlde bars. This i think is to faciliate assembly as it is not much help when setting up your ergonomic`s.
When tightening down the bars, I have always tightened donw the front ones first so the gap is nill, then tighten the rear ones to the specified torque, the gaps should be close to equal.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you use something plastic, there's less of a chance it will hurt the caps. I have the Gen-Mar barbacks and the little plastichrome caps don't fit the new bolts anyway. One word of advice though, put a heavy towel over your gas tank before your start fiddling with the bolts.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you use something plastic, there's less of a chance it will hurt the caps. I have the Gen-Mar barbacks and the little plastichrome caps don't fit the new bolts anyway. One word of advice though, put a heavy towel over your gas tank before your start fiddling with the bolts.
That's one smart clown. Listen to the man.

I use a utility knife to slide under the caps and pop them off. Just don't slip and slice yer fingers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I used a dental pick (very handy tool to have around) to carefully lift mine up, but even that left a tiny mark. Try this: put a piece of duct tape over the cover and give it a good quick pull like a bikini waxer......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts