StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen threads on here recently where people seem to worry about milage they will be able to get out of their Strom. I personally think most bikes will do over 100k if well taken care of. They seem to be made better than most cars IMO. Plus we take better care of our bikes than our cars normally.

I have see 1 BMW with 75k, and an other BMW with 100k.

But the most miles on a bike, and I even got to ride this bike, was a 89 Goldwing. 5 years ago was the last time I saw it, it had 189000 miles.

When I owned a St1100, there were may folks who had over 100k, and mine even had 45k and ran PERFECT.

Not that this matters much, but I read some where that the DL1k has forged pistons, which means to me, Suzuki was commited to the DL lasting a long time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bmw

For groups, I've seen the Norcal BMW club parking rows of show room clean Bmers, all with 45K on up mileage. As a group, they really run the mileage up.

·
Registered
852 Posts
One of my previous bikes was a 1986 Kawasaki Concours. In the "Riders of Kawasaki" magazine, there are normally reports of the Concours going 175,000 and more. Just a very dependable design.

Mine had 140,000 plus miles on it, nothing more than routine maintenance!

·
Registered
800 Posts
My brother has a BMW Paris Dakar from the early 90's with just under 130,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
It was a BMW with 60,000 miles that ran like a top. That was in 1971. Bikes didn't go that kind of mileage back then. I think BMW owners are still paying for the reputation today.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
I met an older gentleman about 5 or 6 years ago, then again a couple more times, I hear he died a year or so ago.

first time I met him he had over 675k on his 1973 BMW the last time I saw him he had close to 750k, he had consistenly put 30,000 miles/year on his bike since he bought it new

my 99SV650 has a measley 135,000 in comparison

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A local guy in the Concours Owners Group has just over 200K on his '98 Connie (maybe it's a 95, can't remember). Bike looks and runs like it's brand new.

It's all about the care, take care of 'em and they'll go forever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A guy here at work has an '84 Goldwing that he rides everyday with over 220K miles on it. All with just routing maintainance.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I work in home health and about 5 years ago I had a patient that was the original owner of a '48 Harley. He pulled out receipts of every service done to that bike with documentation of mileage and registration. Total miles 495,000.
Only rebuilt twice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some will recognize the name Holycaveman. He has over 100,000 mi on a KLR. Ran the thing in the National Enduro '05 and the Peace Pipe last year.:) Here he has parked it on the side of a hill in Richland Furnace.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There's a VStrom around here (or was it ebay?) that's for sale with 92,000+ miles on it. Price was somewhere around $3K. Don't remember exactly, but I'm close on both figures...

EDIT:
Well, whatyaknow? Some dude named "monkeyinmypants" on this very forum bought the bike (and has encountered problems):

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14237

·
Registered
84 Posts
My former state Senator Dave Zein has around 900,000 on a 1982 Harley FXRT. He's in the record books.

The mechanics at the dealership SCATTER when he pulls in. No one wants to work on the thing because of the OTLA (one thing leads to another) syndrome.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw an R1100GS with 380,000 K

bmw airhead 400K miles plus....very very ugly it was
And it was pretty beat up. Owner drove it all over Europe for years, then brought it out to NZ with him.

He said when he took the barrels off it, you could still see the original cats-paws honing marks on the cylinder walls.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
A former coworker of mine had a '97 1150GS w/ 130k and a '94 1100GS w/80k?. Also had a Honda XR650L with a bunch of miles. He rode year round in PA, snowstorms and all, and didn't own a car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The question is......Can no other bikes go the distance other than a
Goldwing or BMW, or do the rest of us not ride enough?:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts