StromTrooper banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Wondering if Desertbike has had some time now with it on bike?
Yes, adapter pictured above worked well for over a year, except for one thing. The red and yellow plastic sheets have almost no stiffness. The whole thing sagged just from the weight of the empty bag.

Not enough sag that anything touched the tank, but it wasn't very nice to look at.

I got around to making a second prototype recently. Have plans for a third.

I posted about it elsewhere, but can't remember which thread. Looks like this:

Summary: I used a thicker and therefore stiffer plastic piece (cutting board), and eliminated a layer. The screws that secure the bag now go directly into plastic. Working ok so far.

I may do a third prototype. From the photo it's clear I should extend the plastic to almost the very back end of the bag, else it will slump back a bit and pull away from the front screws.

Need a jigsaw or similar tool first. I wasn't able to finish the second version very satisfactorily. The visible edge is super rough. Hazard Fraught was out of stock of the jigsaw I wanted, and a drill + hacksaw is a lousy substitute.

I might even get fancy and paint the 3rd version black, so it blends in.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Jigsaw and fresh material (cutting board) should be here early next week.

I was a little concerned about threading screws directly into the plastic, but the connection seems robust. Version 3.0 will distribute the load a little better, so that the front pair of screws isn't doing almost all the work.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
I got everything together and knocked out version 3.0 of the tank bag adapter plate over the weekend.

There's no substitute for a jigsaw. No other good way to cut out curved shapes. I didn't get the new plate perfectly symmetrical, but it looks pretty good.

Knocked down the cut edges with a file, 150 grit sandpaper to smooth off the remaining edge. I'd need a router to get perfectly rounded edges, but it's good enough for now.

Drilled and tapped holes for the hardware, cleaned up the holes, then applied a few coast of Krylon Fusion. Fortunately it was an almost-windless day.

This version was much easier to assemble than previous. It was a lot easier to get the screws holding bag to plate started with their holes pre-tapped, vs. tapping the holes with the screws themselves.

Photos as soon as I get around to it. Result is much prettier than seen above.

·
Administrator
13,916 Posts
Still loving the Givi tank lock bag system, now using it on my new steed......will never go back to straps or magnets!!!
I'm with you on that. I have no idea why someone would want to waste time with straps or magnets (I have had both.)

Do want to add that I am very happy with my SW-Motech tank bag. I switched because all the larger Givi tank bags had map pockets and for me the plastic would harden and crack after a year or so. The SW-Motech doesn't have a built in map pocket but I read one is available as an attachable/removeable option. It does feel a bit higher quality than the Givi ones but I wouldn't have any issue using a Givi if this one wore out and Givi had a bag that I wanted.(I kept the Givi tank lock and old tank bag in case I want to use them.)

At the beginning I wasn't too thrilled with the SW-Motech locking system and found it fiddly but now that I am used to it I find it goes on and off easily. Only other negative (to me) was the release cord at the front was hard for my fat fingers to reach. I added a little strap to lengthen it and that fixed that issue.

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
I don't think those clear plastic windows in tank bags ever last long. They either yellow, detach from where they're glued or stitched in, or crack. The one on my Joe Rocket Manta tank bag went south in less than a year. Didn't fall completely apart but the lower edge detached.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
I don't think those clear plastic windows in tank bags ever last long. They either yellow, detach from where they're glued or stitched in, or crack. The one on my Joe Rocket Manta tank bag went south in less than a year. Didn't fall completely apart but the lower edge detached.
My experience has been different. I have had and used a SW Motech/Bags Connection map case with my Engage and City tank bags since August of 2012 with something like 60,000 miles of usage. It is still in great shape and crystal clear. Maybe it's because it is a SW Motech or maybe because it is a map case, but it will be back on the tank bag come spring.

YMMV

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Tank bag adapter 3.0:

Works much better, since it supports the back end of the bag, bag doesn't slump.

We'll see whether the plastic softens & bends in the summer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have Wolfman pack, it came with the bike, unsure of model/size since I couldn't find label except for Made in USA.

It may not look pretty, but it does the job. I would able stuff more than I expected. It has velcro and strap to remove side. Unzip around 3 side to increase bag capacity.

Though it isn't as water proof with zippers, but it protects the heavy rain, not much of moisture in the top clear package.

I would buy this again, just because I'm not sure the weight of stuff I put in would be ok for tank mount.

Side note, previous owner has replaced 2 of strap. I have yet to replace 3rd but I should soon before the 4th does.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
The Givi bag did have some warning label regarding max weight, but I forget the number.

The limiting factor is probably the plastic locking mechanism/adapter. The tank lock ring itself (metal) is super sturdy, could probably support enough weight to bend your tank.

Never been a problem for me, I like the tank bag light enough to carry anyway. Then I don't have to worry about it being stolen while I go in a gas station, and it's quick and easy to move for refueling.

·
Administrator
17,758 Posts
Yup I don't use my tankbags for anything other than quick access items or frequently used, so that's how I keep the weight down on mine. The bigger the bag the more crap you'll put in it, I want it nice and light for when I carry it around with me off the bike. My Givi doesn't have the map pocket nor would I ever have the need for one, but can understand why some want that.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts