StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
You'll love it. A tank bag beats having to get off the bike to retrieve something from the top case, or under the seat, or dig through pockets on your gear. You won't even notice it on the interstate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You'll love it. A tank bag beats having to get off the bike to retrieve something from the top case, or under the seat, or dig through pockets on your gear. You won't even notice it on the interstate.
Thanks, and this is what I'm hoping for, one not too large and unobtrusive.

I'm starting to feel the urge to pull the trigger on a maybe 10l plus/minus.

·
Registered
396 Posts
10l does seem like the sweet spot, but unless im missing something Givi jumps right from 5 to 15, in the tank lock anyway. Are there any im missing?

Edit, now that im thinking about it, 4-5l might be perfect anyway

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
Some of these are expandable by simply undoing a zipper. I suspect some of them listed as 15 liter might be much smaller until expanded.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just at Givi site, and see the apparent jump from 5 to 15.

I'm looking at this Givi ST603B Sport-T 15L Tanklock Tank Bag but it looked smaller than 15, then I saw the 15 indication.

If it was smaller, and had easier access when at a long red light perhaps, maybe a small exterior sturdy zipper pocket, it appears at least similar to what I envision as a great solution.

Perhaps with a vacuum bottle/ hydration connection.

I'm not looking for much ? just the perfect fit!

Well, at least I'm consistent in searching.

You should see me when I've got the GAS bug (guitar acquisition syndrome) as called in some places.

At some point an item just clicks, and away we go !!
???

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am liking the tank ring mount very much. That at least is one decision made.
?
@realshelby

I just observed the way it indeed expands when chamber is unzipped.

So, its smaller, mostly, unless expanded.

It's now my top choice, I believe. It does look easy access perhaps.

Although a more flat top style at first glance is attractive too.

I'm looking at Wolfman, and Nelson-Riggs, however nothing so far is a top two choice.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Yep, I'm pretty excited about upgrading to a quick release tank ring setup. Easy and quick on/off. That matters because I always want to take the tank bag with me, if I've parked in public, and it's going to be a lot easier when getting gas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I'm pretty excited about upgrading to a quick release tank ring setup. Easy and quick on/off. That matters because I always want to take the tank bag with me, if I've parked in public, and it's going to be a lot easier when getting gas.
That's my exact thought. On, off when at restaurant or rest stop etc.

I kind of envision it to be my second "bag" when I'm traveling, so I can free up a little space in the Givi V56NNA, and not feel like I have to add side luggage just yet or ever.

The givi tank bag may be my last storage device for first trip, a four/five day at Cedar Key.

Have one not formal but nicer clothes dinner, rest of time extremely casual shorts/flip flops.

I've given up thinking I can take my second helmet, an HJC flight style for local riding.

So, we'll see.

The givi bag may be the best, I'm feeling the love.

PS, there may be significant drinking and bar hopping, and I never drink and ride.

There will be fishing, my bud has a nice boat!!

Everything there is walking distance anyway.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Less is more IMO. I don't need a ton of stuff in the tank bag, even for long trips. Here's an exhaustive list:

-bike paperwork

-paper map

-utility knife and/or multitool

-pen(s)

-touchscreen stylus

-garage door remote

-extra earplugs

-tire pressure gage

-small flashlight

-extra batteries for small flashlight

-extra USB charging cables/adapters

-(winter only) dual-channel heat controller

All of this will fit in well under 5L. I probably could have gone with a 4L, but none had side pockets. I like to put the garage door remote in a side pocket, so I can push the button through the side of the bag.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had strap tank bag on my Aprilia and the straps acted like sandpaper. I wish I would have put something under them. Even something as simple as spraying plasti dip on the tank probably would have saved it. Live and learn.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
MT505 and mounting hardware arrived earlier than expected, today. Tracking info said it would arrive next Tuesday so that was a pleasant surprise.

Easy install.

Room enough inside for everything important. My Butler maps will fit in the main compartment without folding. Lid is its own zippered compartment, so that's where the rain cover and shoulder strap will live until needed.

Side pockets are great. Didn't see this before ordering but there are loops to hold the zipper pulls in place. Neat.

The one concern is that the bag is a little far forward and there is no apparent way to adjust forward/backward position. Bag crowds the handlebars a little at full lock. But I think I can work with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Givi moto sport 15 expandable, but it's the top choice.

My V56NNA Givi top case and mounting bracket came in today from Amazon.

Now to get to putting it on. ??!!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Now that I've ridden some with the Givi MT505:

It definitely works for getting gas. Takes all of 2 seconds to unlock and put it on the seat or handlebars (or wherever it won't slide off). About the same to get it back on.

What doesn't work so well is that stuff touches the bag with handlebars all the way left or right. The first time I did this at home, I accidentally closed my garage door, because my throttle lock poked the remote, which was in a side pocket.

I'm sure this is because I have my handlebars set back a few inches, using risers. Givi probably (and reasonably) designed the bag to be well clear of things with a normal, non-risered handlebar setup. If you look at the bottom of the bag, the tank ring adapter is placed about as far forward as it can be, so that the bag sits as far back as possible.

The bag's locking plate is held on by screws and can therefore be removed & replaced. I should be able to make a simple adapter plate to move the bag back by a couple cm. Will try a prototype out of plastic cutting board material, since I have some lying around.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my Givi XS307 bag. Full lock left or right and I hit the bag with my handlebar accessories....

I have my plate set so I minimize the handlebar accessories hitting, while still being able to stand up without the bag hitting my manly accessories....

I wish I would have gotten a smaller bag. (Givi bag, not the manly accessory holder...)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
Right, the XS307 has multiple lock plate positions so I think you can see where I'm going with my adapter idea for my MT505.

I will need a second set of screws to hold the adapter to the adapter.

If my adapter idea works out, and maybe even if not, I'll post photos in case anyone wants to shamelessly copy the design. If it does work out, I'll likely upgrade to sheetmetal for better long-term durability.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Now that I've ridden some with the Givi MT505:

It definitely works for getting gas. Takes all of 2 seconds to unlock and put it on the seat or handlebars (or wherever it won't slide off). About the same to get it back on.

What doesn't work so well is that stuff touches the bag with handlebars all the way left or right. The first time I did this at home, I accidentally closed my garage door, because my throttle lock poked the remote, which was in a side pocket.

I'm sure this is because I have my handlebars set back a few inches, using risers. Givi probably (and reasonably) designed the bag to be well clear of things with a normal, non-risered handlebar setup. If you look at the bottom of the bag, the tank ring adapter is placed about as far forward as it can be, so that the bag sits as far back as possible.

The bag's locking plate is held on by screws and can therefore be removed & replaced. I should be able to make a simple adapter plate to move the bag back by a couple cm. Will try a prototype out of plastic cutting board material, since I have some lying around.
Just saying that’s two plus points for the strap on bag right there:
1) Can’t slide off because it’s still attached under the seat while filling gas and
2) adjustable position back and forth as needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm still taking all this in on the tank bags.

Still looking at Givi ST603 Sport-T, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Like the concept, am almost there.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
How do those strap-on bags work when you're getting gas? Do you just sort of push them aside, or do they have a divot in them so you can get to the fill cap, or what?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
You have to undo at least some of the straps. Move the bag to the rear, tilt to the front, or fold over the side. Quite cumbersome compared to a tank ring lock bag.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts