StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tank bag for my '17 Wee XT. Prices seem all over the board on tank bags. I was looking at a Givi XS308 with Tank Lock. It's got a lot of cool features and is 20L. $178

Then I run across the Wolfman Blackhawk. It' a strap system, 8L, less features and $180.

Is Wolfman that much better quality? Is the Givi crap? Why the same price for half the size and less features?

Help a noob understand....

Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don’t remember paying that much for my XS308 but it was a couple of years ago. I like the TankLock system but if I were going to buy again, I’d get something a little smaller. The 308 kind of gets in the way of my legs when I stand on the pegs. As to the price, it fits on a motorcycle! Everything for two wheels costs more than it should...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I can tell you Wolfman is top shelf. It also seems to retain a lot of the purchase price (if kept in good shape) if you decide to sell.

I do not have any experience with GIVI

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can tell you Wolfman is top shelf. It also seems to retain a lot of the purchase price (if kept in good shape) if you decide to sell.

I do not have any experience with GIVI
I am seriously considering the Explorer Lite from Wolfman but it is fraking KILLING ME that they want me to pay $30 extra for a rain cover! It just seems like if you're paying that much for a fraking "premium" bag, it should INCLUDE a rain cover!

I know it's dumb but it rubs me wrong!

Jim

·
aka Rick in Alabama
502 Posts
It’s a purse for the bike, and a handy way to stash essential stuff.

My preference is SW Motech with a tank ring mount. Pricy, but excellent design and function.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Edj and MAZ4ME

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
I use magnetic and paid more for my Nelson Rigg 20 Liter tank bag as it came with a hydration bladder and a lot of desirable features

Quality of the material, life time warranty, design features ( expandable to 27 liters ) all influenced my choice ...oh yeah a really good rain cover.

I'm doing without a top case on the CB500x so the expandable space is really useful.

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
599 Posts
I have a Wolfman on my CRF250R. It is small indeed as it needs to be for that bike. However it is very robustly fabricated. The Zips are massive compared to some tank bags and it is clear that it will take a lot of abuse. Good product.

I have also used Givi products and found them to be well made.

On my Strom I have used the Touratech tank bag. It has a strap base system that allows easy removal for petrol filling. It is light and has enough capacity without being intrusive while riding. It is not as robustly fabricated as the Wolfman but I am otherwise very happy with it.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
If you use a magnetic tank back be sure to remove it nightly or risk damaging the paint. Wife had a Ninja 250we left the tank bag on for weeks on end. When I remove it where the magnets were the paint was ever so slightly rippled. Not sure if it was because it was metallic paint or if this can happen with any paint but from that day forward magnetic tank bags were removed every night.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am seriously considering the Explorer Lite from Wolfman but it is fraking KILLING ME that they want me to pay $30 extra for a rain cover! It just seems like if you're paying that much for a fraking "premium" bag, it should INCLUDE a rain cover!

I know it's dumb but it rubs me wrong!

Jim
I have the explorer lite. If I somehow lost it tomorrow I would order another one without any hesitation. It just fits the size and lines of my 2017 DL650 perfectly and has enough room for all my rain gear plus whatever else I am too lazy to open the rear saddlebags for or want quick access to: a couple library books to return, a sandwich and water bottle etc. The way I use it I don’t need a rain cover. I have driven through rain for hours. The maps and my phone in the see-through map pocket stayed completely dry. Same for my wallet underneath. With a Givi airflow windscreen there is not that much water hitting it to begin with. Probably true for the stock screen as well. The rear zipper pocket is perfect for my heated vest controller and cables, a first aid kit for quick access, and a sidestand plate for parking in soft stuff. Two quick detach buckles up front for easy filling of the gas tank. The whole thing fits in my left OEM side case for parking in the city, just detach all four buckles. Also it has scratch protection flaps front and rear along the buckles.
It’s a well made product, pretty sure you won’t think about the cost once you own it.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,474 Posts
Pay the money for a tank ring mount. No matter what brand you choose.

I have used Nelson Rigg and Givi. Givi has been quite good. Be careful to not buy one too big.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also have the Givi XS308. I had a magnetic Tourmaster that I used on my previous bike and served me well, but I didn't like how it fit on my D'elle, not enough magnet contact. Givi's Tank Lock system has the largest ring and base mount and is very stable on the bike. It also has a quick release lever to remove the bag, which I like better than other bags which use a pull cord mechanism. With any tank ring system, the bag makes negligible or no contact with painted surfaces. Very well made, quality hardware, and comes with a removable map holder and clear panel rain cover.
Givi also has come out with a key-lockable Tank Lock system (UT309 & UT310) which locks the bag to the tank ring. Pretty pricey at US$309-$319. I emailed them and the locking base is not available as a separate accessory.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
don't like the rings at all.

Reactions: Hogges

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I use a Nelson Rigg magnetic mount. Metallic red '06 Vee. I've had the bag on there for about 11 years and no sign of damage from the magnets. I think it's an old wives tale. People with problems with the magnets likely got some type of cleaning solution or fuel under there that caused the problem.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use a Nelson Rigg magnetic mount. Metallic red '06 Vee. I've had the bag on there for about 11 years and no sign of damage from the magnets. I think it's an old wives tale. People with problems with the magnets likely got some type of cleaning solution or fuel under there that caused the problem.
Fuel sitting stagnant under the magnets is the likely culprit for OP's rippled paint.
I'll stand ready to be corrected, but I believe that the metalflake in automotive finishes is aluminum, bronze or gold- non ferrous- so the magnets weren't sucking the flake out of the pigment.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The key to not scratching the tank with a magnetic bag is to not drag the bag across the tank. And, wherever I remove it, like to get gas, I fold the ears under before setting it down, even on the seat. And give the tank a gentle wipe with my forearm before putting it back on. No scratches. Nothing that the bag is made of will scratch. It's dirt that scratches. If you happen to ride in the dirt, get a different type bag. Not magnetic. Does everyone know that there is also a quick release tether on the bag to keep it on, even if the magnets fail to hold on a major bump. Mine has not come loose in 60,000 miles and I often forget about the tether. I am not claiming that magnetic bags are the best type, only that much of the bad press is from people that don't know how to care for them or haven't tried one. And I have not tried any other type. My Nelson Rigg has lasted all that time. And it's cheap.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've had Wolfman . Cheaply built ( well marketed with a catchy name ) and loose and floppy with no padding in the base. Similar to a cloth walmart shopping bag. Gladly let it go when I sold the bike. My SW Motech clip-on was very difficult to re-mount and had tiny slivers for side pockets. Would only hold a condom and a book of matches . My Givi 308 was much easier to remove and re-mount but rubbed the paint glossy at the back edge . Givi was my favorite of the clip-ons. My good old Oxford Sports "Humpback" magnetic tank bag . I've had the same one for 20 years . It's faded to a light gray now and still functions perfectly. I treat it just like bobbystrom does and it has never scratched a tank. Thousands of miles on my 2 Triumph Speed Triples and my 2 FZ1s and many thousands on my V-Stroms. It now serves as a tailbag on my KLR and I wash it with soap and water and hose it down. I would buy a new one if they still made this model.
Two things to consider on the clip-on bags- 1. If you get the adventure style that droops down at the back it will probably rub the paint when loaded . 2. The clip mechanism is mostly INSIDE the bag and takes up lots of the interior space.
I recall hearing about magnets leaving a "shadow" in paint but I've never seen it.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
No matter what brand, go with a quick release tank ring mount.
it's an adventure FFS not a showroom princess. >:) Quick release ain't and it does not allow you to shift the location of the tank bag the way the magnets allow.

I did scratch my pretty CBF1000 tank but that was just being careless

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts

I have used Nelson Rigg and Givi. Givi has been quite good. Be careful to not buy one too big.
I'm with RealShelby. I happened to go with SW Motech Bags Connection; started with the Engage and then moved up to the City. Very happy with both.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts