StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 80K on this machine and my first replacement set of seals started leaking a bit on the left fork. The OEM seals lasted 28K and the first replacement set lasted 52K. I don't know what the brand was as the shop furnished the seals. Is there a recommendation on the forum for the best fork seals available today that will fit this bike. Thanks

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I found most of the time leaking fork seals don't need replacing at all, rather they just need the grit cleaned out of them with a "seal saver" or thin piece of plastic.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
A fork seal is nothing more then an end shaft seal. The motor shop where I work uses TCM seals unless specified different by a customer.

I'll agree with DA that unless the ends shaft seal is cut scored or dry rotted it most likely dirt between the sealing lip of the ends shaft seal and the fork leg allowing oil to pass by. This is commonly the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Typically OEM seals provide the best performance and life. Keep in mind that the OEMs are only using what the manufacturer of the forks specified, so really the seals are not Suzuki seals but KYB spec'd seals.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I prefer the Seal Doctor.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found most of the time leaking fork seals don't need replacing at all, rather they just need the grit cleaned out of them with a "seal saver" or thin piece of plastic.
I bought the seal saver and am looking forward for it to arrive. It seems logical that this should take care of it. Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here if it does or does not do the trick.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You can also DIY a seal save out of a sturdy thin piece of plastic. Empty water (like LifeWater) bottles work. Cut a 1" x 4" strip and cut a slight radius on one edge to help it slip between the seal and fork tube.

If you over the age of 40 and know wat 35mm film is it also works a treat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the seal saver and am looking forward for it to arrive. It seems logical that this should take care of it. Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here if it does or does not do the trick.
You can also DIY a seal save out of a sturdy thin piece of plastic. Empty water (like LifeWater) bottles work. Cut a 1" x 4" strip and cut a slight radius on one edge to help it slip between the seal and fork tube.

If you over the age of 40 and know wat 35mm film is it also works a treat.
I tried the Seal Saver twice and had no luck stopping the weepy seal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I made my own seal saver last night. Several in and arounds with pumping the suspension in between and today it is significantly better. May not have stopped it though. I’ll have to wait until this weekend to abuse it again on mountain roads to see if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I made my own seal saver last night. Several in and arounds with pumping the suspension in between and today it is significantly better. May not have stopped it though. I’ll have to wait until this weekend to abuse it again on mountain roads to see if it works.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Forget about trying to do the sealmate trick - After 52k miles, you should change the fork oil anyways. You actually should’ve changed it long ago.

I usually use OEM fork seals, usually can get a kit with 2x fork seals and 2x wiper seals. With that many miles, you may need new bushings too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts