StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen claims that some people bought a new 2018 V-strom 1000 for as little as $7,000 out the door? Is this for real? I am looking for advice / guidance on what is the best realistic minimum out the door price. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Realistic? I’m guessing in the $9-10k range.

Could you do better than than? Maybe. That being said...I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of getting a new one for $7,000 out the door.

There is a brand new one on cycle trader for $7000
“Excludes tax, title, tags and other fees. For general informational purposes only.”

I would put money on it that they have a hefty assembly and/or shipping fee to tack onto that $7,000.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Realistic? I’m guessing in the $9-10k range.

Could you do better than than? Maybe. That being said...I don’t think there’s a chance in hell of getting a new one for $7,000 out the door.

“Excludes tax, title, tags and other fees. For general informational purposes only.”
Everything excludes tax/title/tags when advertised. So if you took that 7K and added 6% of tax and a couple hundred in title/registration fees you are still way under 8K

·
Registered
174 Posts
Everything excludes tax/title/tags when advertised. So if you took that 7K and added 6% of tax and a couple hundred in title/registration fees you are still way under 8K
$7,000 +6% = $7,420 + $200 registration = $7,600 +$500 (or more) for assembly and/or shipping = $8,100+. Emphasis on the +.

When I was in the market...every dealer that had click-bait online prices had ridiculous out the door prices.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
This may very well be one of those dealerships that advertises online at an extremely low price then have a $600 set up fee then a another $500 or $600 in freight then administration fee and soon you are in the 9/10K range but you can tell all your buddies you paid $6,999 for the bike.

Kind of like when the dealerships give you $5,000 over KBB for your trade but the only take $1,000 off MSRP of the new vehicle.

A quick call would certainly clarify if they do or don't add on fee's to the $6,999

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have been reluctant to tell my story because it is more than a bit unreal....

i had been looking for a dl650/dl1000 for several wks last august... all were sold before i contacted the seller...
so, i settled into a habit of checking cycletrader & misc dealers early every morning....
i saw a '18 dl1000 w/ 1200 miles on cycletrader early one morning....
i emailed the dealer before they opened & a salesman called back on opening....
he was unaware of the price - it had been marked down from $10500 to $5650 after closing hrs the previous day....
i immediately put down a deposit over the phone & flew to the dealer city the nxt day.....
on arrival the salesman informed me that several other salesmen thought they had the bike sold over the phone later the morning after i put down a deposit.... and, 4 other folks came to the dealer in person to buy the bike that same morning....
bike was in perfect condition & i rode part way home the same day.....
yeah, unreal luck....

i suspect the sales person responsible for setting/posting online prices got a good talkin' to.... or was fired....
they were really pushing the extended warranty to make up their losses.... i declined....

to your question, i haven't a clue what a realistic minimum price might be...
however, w/ the ongoing pandemic & likely many folks looking to get rid of their bike due to lack of work, i suspect both dealers & private sellers are particularly motivated now....

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have been reluctant to tell my story because it is more than a bit unreal....

i had been looking for a dl650/dl1000 for several wks last august... all were sold before i contacted the seller...
so, i settled into a habit of checking cycletrader & misc dealers early every morning....
i saw a '18 dl1000 w/ 1200 miles on cycletrader early one morning....
i emailed the dealer before they opened & a salesman called back on opening....
he was unaware of the price - it had been marked down from $10500 to $5650 after closing hrs the previous day....
i immediately put down a deposit over the phone & flew to the dealer city the nxt day.....
on arrival the salesman informed me that several other salesmen thought they had the bike sold over the phone later the morning after i put down a deposit.... and, 4 other folks came to the dealer in person to buy the bike that same morning....
bike was in perfect condition & i rode part way home the same day.....
yeah, unreal luck....

i suspect the sales person responsible for setting/posting online prices got a good talkin' to.... or was fired....
they were really pushing the extended warranty to make up their losses.... i declined....

to your question, i haven't a clue what a realistic minimum price might be...
however, w/ the ongoing pandemic & likely many folks looking to get rid of their bike due to lack of work, i suspect both dealers & private sellers are particularly motivated now....
Damn! Good for you. Someone's typo at the dealership meant you got a steal. Wow.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What is that 6 % tax? around here it is 9% or more. the price of a bike new or used can vary a lot from different parts of the country and at different times of the year. It won't be long before it is so hot in Phx that dealers will be desperate and lower prices. the middle of winter elsewhere is great riding time in southern arizona and the best time to sell a used bike. there is so much variation in values in different parts of the country and at different times of year that you cannot really compare values outside of your area.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
What is that 6 % tax? around here it is 9% or more. the price of a bike new or used can vary a lot from different parts of the country and at different times of the year. It won't be long before it is so hot in Phx that dealers will be desperate and lower prices. the middle of winter elsewhere is great riding time in southern arizona and the best time to sell a used bike. there is so much variation in values in different parts of the country and at different times of year that you cannot really compare values outside of your area.

Cheers

RLBranson
Sales tax in florida where the bike is is 6%
Sales tax in MN is just under 7%

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my 2018XT (black) in CT for 11K out the door. So the actual bike price was $10150.00. looked into a bunch of deals advertised on the web. When I contacted the seller(s) the deals were close to what I paid when I dialed in shipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a new 2018 1000xt back in February for $8500 out the door. I did get a tax credit on my trade in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can help here. I have been searching for a NOS Vstrom ( 1000cc). Its a long story about getting the best price for a New Old Stock 2015 to 2019 bike.
Here is the short version. After contacting at least 10 dealers through Cycle trader... The best price I got was $9,000 OTD + sales tax for where you live. So on Saturday I am going to pick it up in another state ( about 700 mile round trip). It will cost time and money to travel. $30 for trailer. When I get back home, taxes will be ~= $ 890.00. There were others around the 9,500 to 10,500 range.

I did my best and many dealers would out right lie. When I would push for the price in writing they would always add 1,200 to 1,900 in bull $hit fee's.

However there are deals to be had. There is a 2018 1000XT north of dallas in CT for $8,200. It only has 3,000 miles. He will go down to $7,500. YA better hurry cause he has 4 ppl coming today to look at it. No warrantee on this one.

There is a 2015 NOS NEW in Scott La. Contact me if you need help. He would take 7,400.

If you want a NOS, you better hurry they are going fast. Folks are spending their stimulus, just like me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
March 27th I purchased a “leftover” 2018, Vstrom 1000 (not the XT). I bought it in Alabama, I live in Arkansas. Out the door it was $8,209. Sales tax, licenses and title fees were separate. I “shopped” on line for months. Advertised prices were lower but the there were “prep and set up” fees. These fees ranged from $500-$1,200 bucks. I was satisfied with the price I paid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts