StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wonder if I can connect directly small electric tyre pump without blowing a fuse?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If you mean the built in accessory outlet, I think it's capacity is either three or five amps. Mainly it's to power low draw items like phones or GPS units. I'd recommend against using a compressor in an outlet rated for either (though you still might get away with it). Some compressors (even small ones) can draw in excess of five amps when they kick on.

For running a compressor, the simplest solution that doesn't involve auxiliary fuseboxes is just wiring a fused pigtail directly to the battery. That's how I have it set up on my Super Tenere. Plus, if you do it that way, you also have a place to hook up a Battery Tender.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
If you mean the built in accessory outlet, I think it's capacity is either three or five amps. Mainly it's to power low draw items like phones or GPS units. I'd recommend against using a compressor in an outlet rated for either (though you still might get away with it). Some compressors (even small ones) can draw in excess of five amps when they kick on.

For running a compressor, the simplest solution that doesn't involve auxiliary fuseboxes is just wiring a fused pigtail directly to the battery. That's how I have it set up on my Super Tenere. Plus, if you do it that way, you also have a place to hook up a Battery Tender.
I would add......use a pigtail of at least 12ga (or heavier) wire and concomitant sized SAE plug. That way you can rest assured that the wires will not overheat if you use your compressor and you can even use it to jump start your bike if you have to. I have witnessed the standard 16-18ga wires of battery tenders melt when a compressor is used for any length of time.

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Gauge-Quick-Disconnect-Harness/dp/B0057ZQJ12

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Yeah, I should have mentioned the wire gauge issue. 14 gauge stranded wire is conservatively rated for 15 amps, and 12 gauge stranded for 20 amps. There are other factors at play, like the length of the wire run, but those numbers are a reasonable guideline (or at least they are going by the chart I have, I'm no electrical wizard).

I actually have two pigtails on my bike. One is 14 gauge, fused at 15 amps, and that one is for my air compressor. The other is whatever gauge came with my Battery Tender. I kept the 14 gauge pigtail because I knew it would handle most anything I was liable to plug into it; I don't know what the wire gauge was on the Battery Tender, so I didn't want to rely on it for anything but the battery tender.

I actually carry mini jumper cables in the event I need to do a jump start. I figured they'd be more versatile. If I had to guess, I'd say they're either 10 or 8 gauge.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Definitely, Gert. I have a fuse holder wired in to the pigtail right at the battery, with a 15A fuse.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have had a few of these little compressors over the years. Sometimes they seize when they get hot and then they can blow even a 10A fuse. I wouldn’t risk getting into more trouble when already dealing with a flat tire, and therefore would avoid using any of the bike’s OEM circuits. The compressor I carry under my seat came with alligator clamps for hooking straight to the battery so there is no risk of blowing any of the bike’s fuses or overheating existing wires. Fortunately the battery is readily accessible on the V-Strom. A beefy enough pigtail as suggested above achieves the same.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I also like to use alligator clips.

That way I can lend my pump to others and my bike & I do not need to be involved if I don't want to.

Reactions: Gert
1 - 8 of 8 Posts