StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically average 240 miles between fill ups. I commute 2 to 3 days a week to work (20 miles each way in small city traffic). Since July I have gone to the Blue Ridge Mountains every weekend and put in 500 to 700 miles.

The last tank everything was running fine and today I was seeing the "blinking gas pump" at 180 miles. I filled up with 194 miles on the odomoter and I put in 4.8 gallons.

Any suggestions on why my mileage is so low? I fill the tank all the way up to the same point each time. I have not done any aggressive riding lately. I have 8,300 miles on the bike which I bought brand new '08 dl650 in November.

I appreciate any info you guys can provide.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I wouldn't think 1 tank is a strong indicator. If the reduced mileage persists for a few of tanks, I'd start to look into it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Clogged air filter? My KLR used to get consistent gas mileage until the filter was plugged and then I lost almost 100 miles/tank all of a sudden. Too bad the Wee filter isn't as easy to get at!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Don't feel bad - I averaged between 48 and 52 mpg with my 09 Wee, and am landing around 44-45 with my 05. However, I suspect that has more to do with the top case that I didn't have on the 09 and the fact that the Holeshot exhaust on the 05 keeps encouraging me to twist the throttle "just a little farther".

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Cleaning the chain couldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
you didn't get the chain too tight did ya? I did that on my vee one time and it bound it all up so tight it cost me a bunch of mileage. Dumbass move. Drinking whisky and working on it. Glad I wasn't adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Chain: Clean thoroughly (kerosene), lube, and adjust.

Tires: Check and adjust pressure if needed.

Right wrist: Should be recalibrated, but you're probably having fun, so let it go.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The OP also did not mention whether he is buying the same fuel from the same gas station at each fill up.
The drop in mileage could be as a result of filling with E10 or similar when he has previously been running 100% petroleum based fuel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You probably pulled up to the gas pump from the opposite side, causing the tank to fill far before it would have if you had pulled in from the other side. Concrete gas fill surfaces aren't level. They are angled to drain water.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys.. I knew I could count on you all for some good suggestions. :D

1. I'll check the air filter (not looking forward to doing that).
2. When I am riding out and about I have to use all sorts of different gas stations. Fortunately when I am at home I gas up at the same Costco gas station every time. Maybe they had just received a batch of fuel before I arrived and I pumped in some crud??
3. The chain may be my problem. While I have not tightened it since I bought the bike, I did ride last weekend in a horrible rain storm. I meant to clean it after that since it desperately needed a cleaning. I will do that tonight to see if anything improves.
4. I know this sounds a bit anal, but I always put the bike on the centerstand when I refuel. That way I feel comfortable knowing I got every last possible drop in the tank.

I'll really appreciate the great advice. I will post back in a few days and let you know how things turned out.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts