StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What happened to my bike? Help

I just got home at 9pm with a rented trailer with my beloved 2005 DL650 vstrom on it.

The preshow: I commute in LA about 50 Miles a day. Bike works awesome, has a PowerCommander, pulls strong, great sound and power. For the past 2-3 weeks I have been hearing a slight rattling noise coming from the engine area. Just a very slight, got more prominent at around 5000 RPM, then over 5000 it went away. When the engine got warmed up, it kind of went away completely, or I just couldn't hear it because of the normal engine noise and kind of loud scorpion muffler. I wanted to do a check on it over the weekends, I just couldn't find a time.

The show: This morning (10/20) I was really annoyed by the rattling noise, but I thought I would check on it on the weekend. (also do a valve-check and adjustment). I was almost at the end of my 25 Mile route, admittedly going a little fast (followed another bike) about 100-105 when the bike suddenly started losing power fast, and the rattle sounded exactly like bolts and other metal parts freely flying inside the cylinder or who knows where. I pulled to the side lane, and the bike was still doing about 40-50 mph, I found the nearest exit ramp, the bike was slowing down rapidly, engine still going. Then I stopped, and about 5 seconds later the engine stalled. I could smell a slight burned oil smell, but was nothing visible on the engine. No oil on the ground or on the sides of the engine. Everything looked fine, but of course I knew something terrible had happened. Just to see what's going on, I turned the ignition on, the engine turned slowly few times, (my battery a little tired) then I stopped tormenting my bike. Ignition off, put it in neutral and pushed about 3 miles (about 1 hour) to my workplace. 8 hours later my wife picked me up, rented a trailer and took the bike home. I am glad my baby didn't sleep on the side of a street 25 miles away from home. The bike is here with me and I can't wait to take it apart and fix it on the weekend.

I would love to hear some suggestions, opinions, feedback, what it could be. I will know more on Saturday or Sunday. No way I am going to the shop, I will try to do it myself. I did everything so far on my bike, but this rattling thing is new to me.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How many miles on the engine? Was it ever run without oil? Tearing down the engine is not for the faint of heart. I know it would take me forever to put it back together! Drain the oil and see if there are any metallic bits in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 95000 on the engine, the oil was spot on. Never run without oil.
Thanks for the tip.

How many miles on the engine? Was it ever run without oil? Tearing down the engine is not for the faint of heart. I know it would take me forever to put it back together! Drain the oil and see if there are any metallic bits in it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Cam chain ?

There's a "ting ting ting" sound when they are stretched and the engine is hot.

I know that because a dealer mechanic picked up the fact that one of the tensioners wasn't working on my DL (See, there are SOME good dealer mechanics) , and I eventually replaced the chain/guides and tensioner - before anything broke.

And yes, check the oil first, if that looks O.K. the two side cases need gaskets for reassembly, but can be pulled off in the frame as well. It may be something inexpensive.

It could be anything , but the cam chains are probably the most common known cause of engine failure - what all of three cases ?

Pete

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I don't want to be gloomy but at 95K I doubt its worth a rebuild

Somewhere there is an engine on flea bay or even a whole bike taht gets you going cheaper and faster

Does anyone know which suzi 650's bolt in Dl and sv or gladius etc.

G

·
If you can cut the filter open it would give you and idea roughly how much damage there is.... use a magnet to tell if there are any steel parts loose in the oil.

On the bright side, the bike only let you down slowly. It could have locked solid and tossed you WWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY down the road.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
SV yes, not sure on the Gladius.

Pete
The SV will bolt up, but there is A LOT of extra work involved to make it run! It has been done, but not easily.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I don't want to be gloomy but at 95K I doubt its worth a rebuild

Somewhere there is an engine on flea bay or even a whole bike taht gets you going cheaper and faster

Does anyone know which suzi 650's bolt in Dl and sv or gladius etc.
Baloney.

My motor has just about 100,000 miles on it, (2007 DL-650). If it goes, I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild it.

Have a Service Manual in hand, and take plenty of photographs BEFORE, and WHILE you disassemble.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Black Lab,

I am always taking a lots of photos, also for making tutorials for this site. I have the full service manual book in hand, all the tools and I will take my time and hopefully fix it. Will post back the details, but keep coming with ideas. I know 100K is nothing for these bikes, so it's up to me.

Baloney.

My motor has just about 100,000 miles on it, (2007 DL-650). If it goes, I would hesitate to rebuild it.

Have a Service Manual in hand, and take plenty of photographs BEFORE, and WHILE you disassemble.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Thanks Black Lab,

I am always taking a lots of photos, also for making tutorials for this site. I have the full service manual book in hand, all the tools and I will take my time and hopefully fix it. Will post back the details, but keep coming with ideas. I know 100K is nothing for these bikes, so it's up to me.
I am glad that you picked up on my misuse of the word "would"! I went back to my post and changed it to "wouldn't". As in, "I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild the motor." Unless there was catastrophic internal damage, I would go the route of repairing the motor myself. It is how I learn stuff.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If there is metal loose in there I would have to strip it and blow out every oil passage etc.

Meanwhile there is a whole motor ready to bolt up for $500

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
If there is metal loose in there I would have to strip it and blow out every oil passage etc.

500 sounds like a deal if it runs, you can rack that up and prehaps more on a top end rebuild doing it yourself (gaskets, fluids, parts, valve train, ect, and misc stuff)!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks richw,

$500 is nothing for a full engine. Great deal.
I hope I will find good news as soon as I open up the inside. Will see, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts