StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend owns a 2006 DL 650. His wife wants to buy him a GPS mount, cable, etc. for Christmas. I recommended a RAM bar mount setup because that's what I have, but since I own a sport bike (for now) I use the short RAM mount arm. What length of arm do you guys use on the V-Strom to put the GPS in a comfortable place? Or is there a better setup on for the V-Strom instead of a bar mount?
Thanks,
B

·
Registered
146 Posts
get the shortest one that will work, less vibration, the screen wont look as blurry when you are on a bumpy road.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I use the 5" on the crossbar, which puts it up higher than the tank bag to allow good visibility and clearance of the bag when I turn the bars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use RAM Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp RAM-B-367U. This is a hollow ball with a bolt through it. The bolt replaces one of the handlebar mounting bolts. The mounting arm clamps to this. I found that using the u-bolt type handlebar mount would slip.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I use a 2 1/2 inch ram mount which puts the GPS in a nice visible spot below my dash.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I use the SW-Motech GPS mount, it has vibration damping. Mounts the GPS just above the speedo and tach under the windshield. I did have to put a foam wedge under the GPS to keep it from bouncing on rough roads but other than that it has worked really well.

SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped Quick Release GPS Holder (Suzuki DL1000 & DL650 V-Strom, '04-'11) - V-Strom DL650 '04-'11 - Suzuki - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I used the Garmin power cable designed for motorcycles/hardwiring to power it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
RAM

I use 3.5 in RAM mount and I have riser bolt with a ball on it. However, I have to use a 1.25 magnifier on the bottom of my shield to see/read the Garmin Nuvi 1350. The magnifier is plastic and you use water on the shield and after a while it is "glued" on but is easily removable. I can see the SW Motec rig would put the GPS unit further away, which seems appealing although I don't know if I could read at that distance, and the display would be smaller.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
1945, what brand name of magnifier and where you buy? That sounds like a good old guy farkle!

I used an old radar mount and attached a Ram Aqua box to it so I can switch from bike to bike with one screw loosened. The Aqua box has foam in it to dampen the vibrations. The Aqua box keeps my automotive Garmin from being dampened. The rod I mounted the AQua box is very short to, Yah don't want a lot of weight on a long arm to wiggle around.
You could velcro the GPS to a tank bag as a easy remove mount.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I use 3.5 in RAM mount and I have riser bolt with a ball on it. However, I have to use a 1.25 magnifier on the bottom of my shield to see/read the Garmin Nuvi 1350. The magnifier is plastic and you use water on the shield and after a while it is "glued" on but is easily removable. I can see the SW Motec rig would put the GPS unit further away, which seems appealing although I don't know if I could read at that distance, and the display would be smaller.
I like the distance and location of the SW-Motech; it's closer to my line of sight. But I did have an issue reading the display like you mentioned. Old eye's. I now usually wear safety glasses with cheaters (bifocals). Sunglasses or clear. They solved the problem for me.

Your idea to use a magnifier on the shield is a good idea, for me it would have to be a 2.0 or so but worth looking into.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use the Richland Rick above dash mount with the short RAM arm. Great solid product and puts the GPS unit inside the windshield, much like the SW-Motech.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just use the suction cup made for your car windshield on a flat bracket mounted behindthe windshield of the bike. It lasted from PA to CA which was an 11 day trip.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Magnifier on Shield

The product is Optx 20/20 Stick-on Lenses. Optx 20/20 - Enjoy Life's Little Details
or www.optxeurope.com. They now call it a Hydrotac. They are 1/2 moon shaped, like the bottom of a bifocal and they come in various powers. My dominant right eye has -1.75 d of cylinder and only about -.25 d of myopia. So, I wear a gas perm contact which fixes both errors but also means no near vision for the GPS. I made a good guess at +1.25 for the Stick-on but I am fooling with cheaters I have GP contacts between 0.0 power and -1.5 d in 1/8ths. One could measure with a tape the inches between your eyes on bike and the place where the GPS will be. Then take small piece of a phone book (small pt type) and go to a store where you can try cheaters in various powers and try some out. If you wear glasses on bike, put them on, look at the ph bk text through the distance corrected part, then put the various cheaters on until you find the power that will make the text clear at the same distance as the GPS will be. This will work better if you get some single vision glasses just for riding. If you do that, you'll have full distance vision looking out of the shield but a small part of it can also magnify. The stick-on can be moved around. Make sure you carefully follow the directions and wait until you are sure the whole installation is dry. I bought 2, which is really 4 as I only use 1, and I have had 1 fly off the shield. I go to all this because I could never deal with the fog on the glasses, which in any event do not perform like GP contacts. One more thing: I always use a Pin-Lock insert and I have placed the Stick-On under the Pin-Lock insert. I does not affect the performance of the PL insert but if you don't wait 20 minutes or more after installing the Stick-On, it will move when you put the PL insert in the shield because you have bend and deform the shield quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Instead of using the handlebar mount I only used half of it and I bolted it to the top triple clamp.

On the front of the triple clamp between the key and the right hand fork tube is a bolt that holds a wire loop that is there as a cable guide.

I replaced that bolt with a longer one and used it to fix the ram mount to the triple clamp and refitted the wire loop.

I then used a 2 1/2 " arm to clear my Scott stearing damper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts