StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video should help with understanding what goes wrong in DL 1000-1050, SV 1000, KLV 1000 clutch baskets!

·
Registered
610 Posts
The fretting is the dead giveaway that there is way too much slop in the assembly. Oh yeah, and the broken bits that fell out, that was a pretty good clue too.

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, its me. To think I could have had a singing career.......

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fretting is the dead giveaway that there is way too much slop in the assembly. Oh yeah, and the broken bits that fell out, that was a pretty good clue too.
I should have put more emphasis on how much the springs embed into the aluminum basket once the plate gets loose. That is surprising in many cases!
The broken bits....that was a surprise. I made another video with a Go Pro but the audio was rather low. In that one I took it apart for the first time while on camera. You could tell it caught me off guard. I do see those early style plates cracked often. But one that was literally coming out in pieces was a first. You don't see the later models cracking the plates. But the wear on the bearing and slop in the plate still exist.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Yeah, its me. To think I could have had a singing career.......
LOL, no criticism of your voice was intended. It's just that I've been reading posts by you for almost a decade now, and the voice I'd imagined in my head didn't sound anything like your actual voice. Now that I know what you sound like, that'll be the voice I hear when I read your posts.

It's a good video, by the way. It's an excellent explanation about where the chudder comes from.

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do the same thing. What really gets you is putting a FACE to the posts!

·
Registered
2019 DL1000A
86 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I have a brand new 2019 DL1000. When do you think would be the best time to address this issue? I have a 5 year warranty.

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting that. I have a brand new 2019 DL1000. When do you think would be the best time to address this issue? I have a 5 year warranty.
Not seeing much in the way of noises and vibrations until in the 15K miles range. Then that is only on the baskets that must have started out a bit looser than some. I have one coming in with around 18K miles (?) on it. I may do a video comparing it with a brand new basket. That should show what early wear looks like.
The 5 year warranty probably won't do much for the clutch basket. Very few technicians will understand the noises and vibrations that come from a clutch basket unless they have been around for a while. Even then all they would want to do is install new OEM basket, which is good for a while then goes downhill too. I have had shops use the exchange program on baskets, but I don't think that would be covered under warranty claims. I wouldn't worry about upgrading to a WERKS modified basket till over 20K miles unless you can start to hear the metallic slapping noise from the inner plate or feel some vibrations that you think were not there early on. As I tell everyone, these baskets won't fail you. They don't leave you stranded. But they can make the bike seem rough and unrefined to ride. Since the wear comes on slowly, you don't realize how much it is worn until you put the modified baskets in!

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@realshelby,

You should send a Christmas card to the engineers at Suzuki for them refusing to fix this issue.
Hah!
They would send it back with the note "No problem here, return to sender"!

I could make two simple changes to fix the problem at no real cost for Suzuki. Change the casting die for the aluminum basket so the bearing surface was wider. And change the punch dies for the inner plate to make up for the shrinkage they don't seem to understand happens when you stretch metal. That would triple or more the life of an OEM basket.

Meanwhile, I can build a basket that outlasts the bike for about what a new basket costs and it runs smoother too.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Any way to tell if a bike has one of your baskets without disassembly ?.

Asking because I have a bike I got second hand bike here @7000k's and the previous owner had done some work on it (probably to fix a low rpm stumble), I did actually budget to have this done when I got it but it seems to have a really nice clutch which still isn't showing signs of problems (42,000km's at this point).

·
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In some cases you can look in the oil fill hole and see if the basket outer surface looks polished. Most of mine are shipped that way. That is about the only clue you could have without disassembly.
If you do get one apart, and the rivets are replaced with threaded fasteners, look for a bearing under the oil pump gear. I am the only place where you can get the second bearing in these clutch baskets.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Thanks, inconclusive but probably not. It's smoother than the outsides of the baskets on the two 650 clutches I've rebuilt and certainly in far better shape but not obviously polished. I had to carefully dress the basket fingers on the 650's to get rid of the hammer marks. What I can see of the 1000 basket, it looks essentially new with no wear marks. I'm obviously not riding hard enough ;).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts