StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I was upgraded in our family to main mechanic and I have the pleasure to maintain my wife's V-Strom (MY 2004). Now the thing is we plan a longer journey (100+tkm and some rough terrain in the middle of nowhere). I will ride with my own bike and a sidecar.

In order to prepare a little for this, I would like to hear from you what kind of known / typically defects there are for a V-Strom with high km and rough terrain e.g. issues on clutch, bearings, ...

Bike has now 50tkm and I am going to change the stearing bearing - otherwise it has been running just fine and only the usual stuff was replaced (chain, filters, ...)

terv.
Wolfi

Saarlandilainen

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not a lot breaks by itself. If you drop it then that is another story.

Crash bars will hopefully protect the radiator and pipes. Propper Barkbusters or similar should protect your levers. If you are going over realy rough stuff then a sump guard should also be on the list.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The rider goes broke[n] from too much farkling (adding extra goodies) of the bike.

And the rider goes broken trying keep riding non stop until the fuel tank runs low [450-500km on a trip per tank full].

As Paturoa said, not really anything on the Wee-Stroms is renowned for breaking.

These bikes are basically bullet proof.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Headlight wiring can be a problem over time with switch contacts and connectors. Installing headlight relays heads off any problems in that area. There is even a kit available at Suzuki VStrom Electrics

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ok - now I get it

Headlight wiring can be a problem over time with switch contacts and connectors. Installing headlight relays heads off any problems in that area. There is even a kit available at Suzuki VStrom Electrics

G: until you said it this way, I did not understand why folks would bother with the relays. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
The oil filter is vulnerable.

Debris can damage the oil filter. I put a magnet on the front of the oil filter, and an old can over the filter, where the magnet holds it in place. The can gets dings from gravel, so I think it helps.

I do not ride off-road enough to justify buying and installing a shield, but you might.

Enjoy your voyage. Please take pictures and show us what you saw.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The one thing you won't have to worry about is the engine breaking. The Wee doesn't make enough power to hurt itself:green_lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Various levers: shift levers, etc, can break if the bike is dropped.

Good idea to either install tougher levels, or have tools and materials aboard to rig an emergency fix.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
When you have the tank and plastic off, take a very close look at everything. Check that every bolt is tight. There are two bolts behind the headlights that sometimes come loose and can jam the steering. Check the ends of the throttle and clutch cables. Check that everything that should be lubed has been lubed correctly. Check that the tire valve stems are good rubber with no cracks--they should be replaced periodically but get forgotten. Check that the rubber dampers in the rear wheel drive hold the sprocket firmly. If you have the wheels off, check that the wheel bearings and sprocket bearing are smooth and clean with no sign of rust coming from the bearings. Check that all the rear suspension pivots and bearings show no signs of wear or internal rust.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you drop it on the left side....

....there is a switch that can get knocked out of place and the bike will not start until you plug it back in.

Left me stranded for 34 minutes one day until I found it.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A switch at the clutch lever is the usual culprit. There is one on the side stand also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 on the fragile turn signals (in a tipover).

Some folks replace the stock turn signals with these from (now-defunct) Buell. Their stems are more flexible, so they can bend instead of break. (and they're much cheaper than OEM)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts