StromTrooper banner

What gear do you wear and why (including your helmet)

32K views 150 replies 101 participants last post by  Tall Man 
#1 ·
In my case, my main gear is Rev'it Cayenne Pro (top & bottom) + Shoei full face and Shark EvoLine2 flip up helmet. How about you and why?

#2 · (Edited)
Good thread :thumbup:

1] X-Lite X551 helmet - wanted a really good quality adventure style helmet, and it had to have the internal sun visor. Plus the X-Lite had the option for an integrated communications system. Love this helmet :yesnod:
X-lite

2] AXO Stone Jacket - this is a really nice adventure jacket, great for summer. It has no liner, lots of venting and removable sleeves. Plus it has lots of pockets.
Stone jacket

3] Joe Rocket Live Wire Gloves - nice short gloves. Beautiful leather (tan palms) and a great fit. Plus you can use a touchscreen because of the Speed Dial™ Touchscreen Technology.
Live Wire Leather - Joe Rocket Canada

4] TKD Kevlar Denim "Sammy" Cargo Jeans - these Australian made Kevlar jeans are awesome. They feature a complete Kevlar liner (not just knees & hips) and this liner can be removed. This way when I get somewhere for a stop eg: (Lunch, gathering) the liner can be taken out and they feel just like regular jeans.
TKD | Mens Collection | Sammy | Relaxed Black

5] Gaerne G-Midland Boots - great adventure boots. Solid as, but still comfortable enough to walk around in. They look good too!
Gaerne | The Boot Co. TOURING: G-MIDLAND <span>AQUATECH</span>2526-001

#28 ·
Thank you. What a great respond Stromtroopers! Specially these posts with pictures and first hand comments on gear you use or used to use. Pos. & neg. I hope it will help many new Stromtroopers with decision what to wear and for what weather conditions. Manufactures descriptions and jurnalists reviews are not always right...as we all know. Keep going gentlemen!

#3 · (Edited)
Helmet: Peice of crap HJC, but soon to be a Shoei Hornet DS - because I want a dual sport helmet with a peak and it works well with glasses and is high quality.

Jacket: Olympia Scorpion Commander II - because it comes in a tall, it is high quality, and comes in high-vis yellow.

Pants: Joe Rocket Alter Ego - because it comes in tall and is versatile in cold and warm temps.

Boots: Gaerne Balanced Oiled - becuase they are not black, they don't squeak, and they are comfortable to hike in (but they are awfully wide for me)

Prophylactic: Trojan extra large - because, well... what can I say

#4 ·
Helmet: Nolan N-104. It was comfortable, had an internal visor. Replaced an HJC IS-16 which was noisy as all get out.

Jacket: AGV Sport Falcon "Suzuki" (blue and black). Because being my size, AGV was one of the few companies that made leather jackets to fit me, at a reasonable price.

Gloves: Icon Pursuit Perforated Gloves. Tried them on at the local shop and was sold on the comfort and quality.

Pants: First Manufacturing 5-Pocket "Modem Fit" Pants. Made of thick leather, and they fit like jeans. A spare tire negates me wearing dedicated motorcycle pants that go up to ones armpits. Chicken legs cause any included armor to flop around.

Knee Armor: Forcefield Zeus Knee Protectors. Pricey, but very comfortable. Armor will be in place should I ever need it, not flopping around.

Boots: Tour Master Solution 2.0 WP Boots. Wide widths available, good quality at a decent price.

Chuck

#5 ·
Just a fair weather rider here, temps of 55 to 100 F. Mesh gear...I use Olympia Airglide jacket/pants to stay comfortable in the hot/dry SW as well as the hot/humid NE. Along with the insulated and windproof/waterproof liners I'm good.
Currently using HJC IS-16.....not recommended....too much wind noise. I had to plug the upper air vents to keep the noise level down and I wear earplugs. Purchased after I watched a video raving about this helmet.
Recently purchased Alpinestars Scout WP boots. I find them comfortable and lightweight. Recently retired my 14 year old Aerostich combats. Gloves...Aerostich Competition Elkskin Ropers.

#6 ·
Helmet: Shoei Qwest. Great fit and finish, fit well and I know I can get replacement pads, visors easily (though expensively).

Jacket and Pants: Bilt Explorer Air set. Was on sale for $360 for a 4 piece top to bottom set. Fits great, very comfortable, has a removable inner rain and warm liner, a ridiculous number of pockets and I got a spare helmet and gloves for me or if the wife wants to go two-up.

Gloves: Alpinestar SP-S (I think). Got a good price at the Navy Exchange after taking my MSF BRC. I have a back up set of Bilt Explorers that fit well too.

Boots: Bilt Cyclone. $40 on sale. I wanted something other than my military boots for riding of duty and these fit and feel great. Need some kind of insole to be comfortable walking in them, but at that price, you can't go wrong.

#7 ·
Jackets - First Gear Kathmandu and a First Gear Mesh. 3 different leather jackets, two from First Gear and one from Triumph.

Pants - First Gear Stealth Pilot (perfed) and Draggin Jeans

Gloves - Belstaff for cold weather, Teknic Violators and Tourmaster Roadrace for summer.

Helmets - Arai Vector and Quantum

Boots - TourMaster 2.0's and Alpinestar SMX5's

Some of the gear, in particular the classic First Gear leather jackets and pants are 19 years old and still perfect condition, supple hides, no stitching issues, etc. Buy it once, take care of it and it will last. Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner, 2x a year. Same treatment for anything leather...boots, gloves, etc.

Only thing on the list above which I woould not buy again are the Tourmaster boots. Attractive for their $112.00 price, but in reality, they should be half that cost. Overall fit is relatively imprecise compared to a quality boot maker like Alpinestars and Gaerne. The uppers are fair but the soles are complete garbage. They wear out so quickly it's mind boggling. I've had Gaerne and Alpinestar boots last 6+ years under the same conditions, these, barely 1 year. I would be better off wearing Doc Martens or some Georgia/Rocky work boots.

#8 ·
Helmet: Arai XD3 for trails and dual sport riding but I don't like the peak for highway riding. Cheap Zox modular helmet for street riding. I love the internal sunshade but it is way too noisy. I'm looking for a quiet helmet with internal sunshade (maybe Shoei GT Air)

Jacket: joe Rocket Alter Ego - great jacket. Warm when needed but converts to mesh jacket for hot weather.

Rain Gear: Frogg Toggz - light, waterproof without making you sweat. Only drawback is that they don't seem too durable, but so far no problems.

Pants: Klim Dakars - comfortable, decent protection, good venting when needed. I bought a pair of Aerostich Goretex pants on this forum but haven't tried them yet. They are a bit large for me so might be reselling them.

Boots: Alpinestars Scouts - very comfortable, good protection. They are supposed to be waterproof but mine aren't.

Gloves: I have 7 pairs of gloves and I still haven't found a pair I really like.

#136 ·
Another Gear Update

I've updated most of my gear since posting last.

Helmet: I bought the Shoei GT Air I mentioned. Much quieter and very stable in the wind.

Jacket: I got a used Aerostich Darien. It's an older version, before they lined the collar with soft material. I like it a lot but I need to wear a Buff to protect my neck from irritation from the collar. No biggie, I usually wore a Buff anyways.

Pants: Klim Latitude Misanos. Really comfortable, fit like a pair of jeans.

Gloves: BMW GS Drys. These are Goretex Xtrafit gloves which means the Goretex membrane is bonded to the outer layer. I hate gloves that have a loose lining because they are hard to put on when my hands are wet.

Rain gear: I still have the Frogg Toggs but hopefully I won't need them since all my gear is Goretex. But I haven't ridden in heavy rain yet so I'all hang on to them for now.

#9 ·
My Gear

I have a Suomy Apex helmet (with Scala Rider) because it's the lightest decent helmet that I could find. Bad neck. I wanted a full face because I've read that about 80% of dismounts involve hitting your chin.

I live in the mountains so I needed warm gear, but don't really like to be plugged into a battery. In cool weather I have a black and grey 3/4 length 1st Gear mesh jacket with removable liner and black 1st Gear removable liner pants that I use. The colors don't show dirt so bad. I have a fluorescent runners singlet velcro-ed to the jacket to make me more visible

During warmer weather I wear a grey Revit Airwave with the fluorescent arm stripes. It's only a year old and already the arm stripes are showing a lot of dirt.

Unless it's really cold I'm almost always wearing my BMW Motorrad Summer 3 pants. I really really like these pants. When I'm wearing the 1st Gear stuff I feel I look like the Michelin man. The jacket and pants are slim looking. I almost didn't get the BMW pants because it says BMW on them ( it's subdued ) and they cost $260.00. I'm glad I did, but it was hard writing the check and my bride had to shorten them for me.

I've pulled up to some of the outside bars around here and the summer outfit catches the chick's eyes. Then I take off my helmet and they all turn back around :) Been too long since I was born.

The gloves I use are a tight fitting 1st Gear leather. I also bought a pair of battery operated heated gloves from a website called Sportsman's Guide. They were actually for setting in a deer stand or duck blind and came in camo and black. I got the black, they cost $80 and they work good.

I'm a EEE width so it's hard to find a decent boot. I just wear black duty combat boots, which to me are fine and again only cost $80.

Best/RR

#14 ·
I've pulled up to some of the outside bars around here and the summer outfit catches the chick's eyes. Then I take off my helmet and they all turn back around :) Been too long since I was born.

Best/RR
I look better with my helmet on too. On the plus side when I pull my helmet off after a traffic stop (very rare now a days but it has happened) it can be an advantage when the officer realizes he is not dealing with a punk but rather someone of his father's generation.

#10 ·
Helmet: Previous years, Arai XD. This year, Arai XD4. Cause it fits with good visibility.

Jacket: Olympia X-Moto. Comfortable, good protection, lots of waterproof pockets, and good venting for a 3-4 season jacket. Looking at adding the new Olympia Dakar jacket for warm weather riding.

Pants: Olympia X-Moto. Comfortable, good protection, and good venting for a 3-4 season pants. Looking at adding the new Olympia Dakar pants for warm weather riding.

Rain Gear: Frogg Toggs Horny Toadz - light and waterproof. Aerostich Triple Digit rain gloves.

Boots: TCX Infinity. Comfortable, waterproof, and durable. My only complain is they are a tad wide for my feet but would not trade for something else.

Gloves: My weak link. I have Cortech Scarab RR gloves and Tourmaster Cold Front gloves which fit really well except they are a tad short in the fingers. For cold weather I have Tourmaster Winter Elites which are fantastic, fit well and keep my hands warm.

#11 · (Edited)
Helmet: Arai Signet-Q (best fit I've ever experienced)

Jacket: Olympia Moab

Pants: Olympia Airglide

Gloves: Held Agadir, Speed n' Strength

Boots: Fox Comp 5 shorties (which suck), new boots incoming, but not sure what I'm buying yet.

ETA that I ended up buying Gaerne G-Midland boots. A very nice boot for the money...

#12 ·
Helmet--Shoei MulitTic It's comfortable

Jacket--Olympia AirGlide2 or FG Kilimanjaro They fit well and are versatile

Pants--FG Mesh overpants or Draggin' Jeans Looking for new pants this year

Gloves--I have several pairs, mostly Olympia They just work

Boots--Sidi OnRoad Sympatex and Tourmaster Solutions Both are waterproof and comfortable, and offer good protection and support.

#13 · (Edited)
Helmet - Shoei White NeoTec. Best helmet I've ever owned

Pants - Tourmaster Ventura Air Pants / Alpinestars Hellcat Tech. I wear the Kevlar Jeans most of the time....so comfy

Jacket - Tourmaster Hi- Vis Sonora Air / Tourmaster Hi- Vis Transition Series 3. One summer jacket and one winter jacket

Gloves - Scorpion SG / Tourmaster Intake Air / Alpinestars GPX. I must have fifteen pairs of gloves, but these are my go-to's depending on weather

Boots - Tourmaster Solution 2.0 WP Road Boot. Comfy

Guess I'm a Tourmaster freak :thumbup:

#15 ·
Well..back in the 70's
Denim jacket, tennis shoes, blue jeans, cheap open face helmet, winter gloves if cool; rubber boots and rubberized rainsuit in the rain.
Now..tourmaster series two jacket (sonora air if really warm), kevlar lined jeans and for longer trips or if cooler tourmaster venture air overpants and evs tugg padded armoured undergarment, sidi canyon goretex boots, either my klim vented induction or revit bastion gtx winter, cool weather gloves, shoei multi tec helmet, frogg toog horny toadz together with the revit gloves (goretex)for the rain...times have changed..

#16 ·
Helmet: Shoei Hornet dual-sport helmet. Due for replacement. I was an early adopter, and purchased one of the first Hornets to reach U.S. shores in 2008. I'm tempted by the new GT Air. We'll see.

Jacket: Firstgear. They manufacture Talls. Sold at price points that haven't left orbit. Maybe one day I'll go all in and join the Minnesota cult.

Pants: See Jacket.

Gloves: Aerostitch Elkskin gauntlets. Most comfortable gloves ever. Christmas gift, so no cult club card for me.

Boots: Sidi Canyons. Love the performance. Mildly annoyed at the compromises required by European sizing.

#17 ·
I always wear helmet, Hi-Vis jacket and gloves. If I'm doing any interstate/highway travel then I put on riding pants.

Helmet: HJC CL-16
Jacket: Joe Rocket Hi-Vis mesh or Sliders Hi-Vis Adventure Kevlar
Pants: Tour Master Caliber or Joe Rocket mesh
Gloves: BMG Rapido gloves
Boots: ICON Accelerant

#18 ·
Lazer Monaco Helmet - flip-up, light weight, photochromic pinlock visor, pinlock insert included, integrated BT headset.

Motoport Mesh Kevlar with wind/waterproof liners - tough as nails, one jacket/pants combo for year-round. It works, but all the zippers and velcro are a PITA. I think that a better option for liners would be something that you pull over and pull up without any zippers prior to putting on the mesh gear.

Cruiserworks boots - they were a free promo item, but they are reasonably nice premium leather and definitely waterproof. These are no longer produced to my knowledge.

Fieldsheer gloves - cheap, I should have paid for better protection.

Firstgear heated jacket liner, Gerbings heated gloves and insoles - a must for riding in sub-freezing temps for longer rides. Wind chill can easily draw heat from your supposedly insulated body. It is just a matter of time before it begins to lower your body temperature and erode your ability to ride safely.

#19 ·
Helmet:
Bell Revolver, love the look, but is extremely noisy and the chin bar latch is flimsy. Also have an HJC I-S Max that is not as sexy looking but feels better made.

Jacket:
Tourmaster Transition 2 for winter riding, I really like this Jacket, it is very comfortable and offers very good protection.
For summer riding I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh. This is the second one I've owned. Not as protective as a good textile jacket but a good hot weather jacket.

Gloves:
My favorites are Triumph brand mesh with Kevlar pads on the palms and hard knuckle protection. For whatever reason, like a lot of others apparently, I have bought a lot of gloves searching for a pair to love.

Pants:
I've got a pair of Sliders Kevlar jeans from Competition Accessories.

Boots:
Currently wearing First Gear Kili Hi boots, comfortable, fair amount of coverage, but I find myself wishing I would've popped for a better boot. Thinking Gaerne Pro Tech next time.

#20 ·
Helmet: icon variant. I wanted a helmet with a visor I had a helmet with an internal drop down sun visor and did not really like it

Jacket: Firstgear Kathmandu. I bought this jacket a year ago and love it so much. I just bought the matching pants. With the liner in I can ride down to about 5 degrees C with nothing but a t shirt underneath. Also. I rode for 8 hours in a massive rainstorm and got home completely dry minus some leakage around the neck

Pants: Firstgear Kathmandu I just got these last week. Based entirely on my love of the jacket. I wen for a ride today at 5 degrees C wearing only underwear underneath the pants. I was out for about an hour and no once did I feel cold

Boots: Alpinestars Scout. Picked these as they were a good compromise between road and mx boots. And while they were completely waterproof they seem to be more water resistant now. I did treat them this winter so well see if that restores some of the waterproofing

Gloves: icon super duty 2 for summer riding, they are a short leather glove and breath pretty well, as well I have a pair of icon patrol waterproof insulated glove for colder weather

#134 ·
I need to update my list, over the winter I've changed a few things,

Helmet: Fly trekker in highviz green
Gloves: Klim inversion for warm weather,still have the icon patrols for cold weather

Pants: upgraded to Klim badlands pro, they seem very well built, and were on clearance as they have update the style this year

Auto part Vehicle Car

#21 ·
I recently got back into riding and have a small amount of use out of this gear.

Helmet Street: Shoei RF-1100 Matte Black with Pinlock face shield. Large with 39mm (stock is 35mm) cheek pads due to narrow lower face features. Wound up buying a Pinlock faceshield because this vessel fogs up fast. It was on sale as an outgoing model and the Salesperson at Revzilla talked me into this instead of the Icon Variant.

Helmet Dirt: Fox V1 Matte Black; Large; I needed a new dirt helmet at budget price; Fit is good for my Long Oval head. After trying a few of the same model and size, I picked the one that fit the best.
Goggles: Fox AIRSPACE; "Enduro" version with Double pane lens for fog free operation; It's a goggle, matches the helmet and works just like my gamme of Scott's

Jacket: Icon Patrol Raiden in Red; Large; I let my inner teenager buy this glitzy schtick, Meh. It's warm so far, even at 32F with a few layers underneath.
Back Protector: Icon CE Stryker; The inner adult picked this. Easily intregrates into the Patrol jacket after removing the original flimsy pad. On the plus side, it can be used alone or with another Icon jacket

Pants: Icon Patrol Raiden; Medium; Matches the Jacket, I initally bought a large pair and exchanged them. I normally wear 32-34 Waist x 30-32 Inseam

Gloves: Icon Patrol

Boots: Alpinestars Tech 2; Size 11; Bought them for street use and mild off road.

#22 ·
My helmet is a Scorpion EXO 900. Previously I had HJC Sy-Max II. I have a large square head and have found the HJC and Scorpions fit me best.

I went through two different seats of riding gear before getting my current setup, an Aerostich Roadcrafter two-piece. I used Frogg Toggs as my raingear and loved them. I still will carry the Frogg Toggs jacket as it works well as an extra layer if I find myself unexpectly caught in colder weather. The previous gear included Joe Rocket pants that had zipper failures and I forget the other stuff. I would have saved a lot of money if I had bought my Roadcrafter in the first place.

Most of the time I wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter Two piece. I commute 100 miles round trip and most days wear a suit and itie. The Roadcrafter is perfect for me as it goes on in about 15 seconds, comes off just as quickly, and has proven to be water resistant as long as I snug up the neck collar.

In cold weather I wear Aerostich TLC Fleace pants (wind pro) under the a Roadcrafter pants. These are very warm and have zippers on the outside of the legs so they go on without pulling my work pants up. Italso means, on longer rides in cold weather that when I stop I won't overheat as these come off easily and doesn't cause me to overheat. For my torso I might wear a soft shell and Warm-n-safe waterproof heated jacket. (Before the heated jacket I would add another layer of fleace. This worked well down into the 20's f for commuting but the heat is especially nice on longer rides.).

In warmer weather I wear less layers. In very hot weather I will still normally wear the Roadcrafter but might have shorts and moisture wicking T-shirt. (If returning from work in the heat I would fold up my work suit and put it in the top case.) This covers 99% of my riding, the other percent I might wear my dragging jeans along with the Roadcrafter Jacket.

I have lots of gloves. I the hottest weather I have some nice thin "Five" glove. For a bit cooler I have some Tourmaster gloves that are okay from perhaps 10 degrees f and up to somewhere in the upper 70's. Below that I have several different cold weather gloves but since last fall have been using a set of Gerbing gloves. These work extremely well.

I also have extensions under my (Suzuki) hand guards that help a lot on older weather.

..Tom

#24 ·
LOL... RKIT... (Road Kill in Training)

Helmet: Bell RS-1 (also have Arai Signet-Q, Shoe Neotec, Scorpion Exo-1100 as well. Bell just fits better, is light, and has features I like).

Jacket: Hi-Viz Olympia Switchback (my favorite - you need sunglasses to just look at it); Joe Rocket Phoenix 5; Tourmaster Flex 3; Cortech Denim; FG Kilimanjaro; assorted leather (Depends on weather, and you just accumulate ... stuff)

Pants: Bilt Ironworker Denim (have other textile/mesh, but keep coming back to the Kevlar jeans).
Also use Freeze-Out thermals < 60F

Gloves: RevIt Hybrid WSP; RevIt Carver waterproof; A* Road Tech winter; Sedici perforated (Depends on weather)
Really like the RevIt because of the short cuff, and conductive fingertips

Boots: S&S Moment of Truth (Summer); S&S Urge Overkill (all other seasons / and rain). Also have A* SMX-5, but don't wear them too much since getting rid of the sport bikes.
Love those Speed & Strength boots -- ridiculously comfortable. Can walk around in them all day.

Rain: Tourmaster Sentinal rain jacket and Olympia Horizon rain pants for the wet.

Misc: Schampa Velcro neck gaiters < 50F; Hearos ear plugs; Various Sena BT; Drift Ghost and GoPro cams

#25 ·
Helmet: Nolan N90-comfortable, modular, good venting, internal sun shades.
Jacket: Tourmaster Saber-supple, good armour, zip-out liner.
Pants: Aerostich AD1-comfortable, plenty of pockets.
Boots: Gaerne Adventure-comfortable, waterproof, lug soles.
Glovers: Icon(don't remember model- comfortable, good protection.

#26 ·
Helmet: Shoei rf1100 with a SENA smh10 attached, also a HJC dualsport helmet. Love the shoei, like the HJC.

Jacket: high viz cycle gear bilt brand mesh jacket with liner and a first gear cold weather jacket. Like them both but I like the first gear better.

Gloves: fox bombers I believe. Love them.

Pants: sedici veneto higher end cycle gear brand waterproof pants with cold weather liner. Like them but don't love them. The integrated knee protectors are not my favorite.

Boots: MSR World Tour Italian. I love them but they are an old boot that isn't made anymore plus they are the only boots I've worn so nothing to compare against.

#29 ·
Helmet: Fulmer SRS ... Need to find a replacement this summer... This one is terrible at venting and trips longer than 200 miles make my head itch

Jacket: tourmaster flex series 2 (bought in spring 2008 and it's still keeping me dry) buying a flex series 3 this summer
Pants: jeans, hopefully investing in Kevlar pants and tourmaster flex pants this summer.

Boots: bates GX-8 or dura shocks

Gloves: cold weather, seirus extremes. Summer- mechanics gloves to protect from wind and sun.

I need better/more equipment. I just can't afford BETTER stuff, but something is better than nothing, right?

#30 ·
I am frugal when it comes to my motorcycling hobby. I look for good quality at a great price.

Helmet: HJC CL-15 Cyclone (red and white). Clear and tinted shields. Great price and fit. Was able to put in Large cheek pads and X-Large crown pad for a perfect fit.

Jacket: First Gear "Rush", Hi-Viz Mesh with liner. Picked up new on eBay for only $70 three years ago. CE armor in the elbows and shoulders. Wear a windbreaker under jacket and liner for cold days <50. Liner in for <70. No liner for everything up to 105 degrees.

Pants: TourMaster Venture textile overpants. Picked up in like new condition off of eBay. Comes with a padded liner for the cold days, but I have never needed the extra insulation. I would like to get some mesh overpants for the really hot days. Right now, when I go on longer rides during the summer I wear light weight pajama pants under the overpants, but still sweat like crazy.

Gloves: Sedici leather full gauntlet for warm days and Bilt Techno Waterproof gloves for cold days. I love the Sedici's and have had them for about three years and wear them almost year round. Need the Bilt waterproof gloves for those cool days <50.

Boots: Bilt Hurricane Waterproof boots. They have been a decent boot for three years, but would like to get something with a little more ankle protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.