StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinkin bout a new strom any 1 know what fits the new strom off the old strom such as center stand and givi racks dont wanna buy this stuff all over again

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Don't think the racks fit.

Centre stand does - but you'll need to fabricate a stop. I put a U-bolt around the pipe and added a couple of slabs of 5mm aluminium for packing.

Suspension yes, but mounting a remove reservoir can be awkward.

Crash bars yes. Hyde racing belly pan yes. Fork brace yes.

Pete

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
U-bolt around the pipe and added a couple of slabs of 5mm aluminium for packing. ??

I'd like to do something on mine too, I put a murphs centerstand on mine. The Ubolt makes sense, but aluminum ? Any chance you can attach a picture? I've been trying to figure out a way to attach the rubber bumper that came with the stand. Also, it does clunk into the pipe but not really hard enough to do much damage, does it?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Oh, on the original question, seems engine guard/crash bars will fit, but Givi has come out with new racks for sidebags, none of the sites I'm checking have them in stock yet, but hopefully 1st quarter 2012. The centerstand bolted right up, and is much, much easier to lift onto the centerstand than my DL1000 with the Suzuki OEM stand was, maybe the difference in the stand, the lighter bike, or the new weight distribution of the 2012, it just pops up on the stand with almost no effort at all. Handguards are a new, more expensive part number, after trying two different aftermarket guards, I gave up and ordered the Suzuki guards, I'll pick them up today. I tried Trackside and Moose Racing, and even with articulating attachment hardware, I could not get them to fit the handlebar end, and clear the clutch or brake hardware and levers. I installed heated grips last night, after receiving the electrical plug for the harness from Eastern Beaver, that worked great, I used Trackside grips, they'll be tested on the way to Breakfast this morning, thermometer shows 29 degrees.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do you like the new bike

Oh, on the original question, seems engine guard/crash bars will fit, but Givi has come out with new racks for sidebags, none of the sites I'm checking have them in stock yet, but hopefully 1st quarter 2012. The centerstand bolted right up, and is much, much easier to lift onto the centerstand than my DL1000 with the Suzuki OEM stand was, maybe the difference in the stand, the lighter bike, or the new weight distribution of the 2012, it just pops up on the stand with almost no effort at all. Handguards are a new, more expensive part number, after trying two different aftermarket guards, I gave up and ordered the Suzuki guards, I'll pick them up today. I tried Trackside and Moose Racing, and even with articulating attachment hardware, I could not get them to fit the handlebar end, and clear the clutch or brake hardware and levers. I installed heated grips last night, after receiving the electrical plug for the harness from Eastern Beaver, that worked great, I used Trackside grips, they'll be tested on the way to Breakfast this morning, thermometer shows 29 degrees.
btw whats your opinion on the new bike

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
absolutely love it. Had the 07 DL1000, and my wife had the 08 DL650 (she sold it), and this one is really, really sweet. Haven't even got past the motor breakin yet, and I like it alot. My wife and I were on it today, and it is really fine for our combined 400 lbs, very smooth and comfortable. Most of my riding is done alone, all my trips are alone, so this bike will be ideal for me.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
U-bolt around the pipe and added a couple of slabs of 5mm aluminium for packing. ??

I'd like to do something on mine too, I put a murphs centerstand on mine. The Ubolt makes sense, but aluminum ? Any chance you can attach a picture? I've been trying to figure out a way to attach the rubber bumper that came with the stand. Also, it does clunk into the pipe but not really hard enough to do much damage, does it?
IF I'd been able to find a real stainless exhaust clamp locally (or had more patience) I'd simply have drilled a hole in the bridge section and put the old bumper in there. See this site for what I'm talking about:
JEGS Exhaust U-Clamps - JEGS

Couldn't find one, you may have better luck in a large town or ordering on the net. The best I could find was stainless U bolt, so I grabbed some 5mm thick aluminium strap cut it to length, drilled it to fit the U-bolt and added thickness until it was about right and bolted it on and use that as the clamp/stop. Turns out 10mm thick was enough.

I did need to trim down the U-bolt - the excess length of the bolt ends caught the stand coming up otherwise.

I was going to add a bit of extra padding using some rubber strip and some clever hole punching (can't just wrap it around the heat from the pipe will cook it).

But I had to stop the nuts backing off and neither nylock nuts or lock-tite will handle those temps so I put silicone adhesive on the ends of the threads - and slipped a section of rubber belt I had lying around over the top of the exposed ends as well. Hasn't fallen off yet :). The only noise is where it the centrestand hits end of the sidestand on the other side of the bike on the way up - tucks in quite a bit better than stock.

Sorry, I've never been able to post pics here, if you really need one, pm me with an email address - but it's straightforward enough.

Pete

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I emailed Al Jesse about mounts for his bags and they said they don't have a bike in the shop yet but are working on it. Said just watch the website for more information. (as of Feb 6)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
SW Motech Centerstand

Centre stand does - but you'll need to fabricate a stop. I put a U-bolt around the pipe and added a couple of slabs of 5mm aluminium for packing.
The new version of the SW Motech stand for the 2012 bike comes with a bracket and a rubber stop. It's on the same side as the side stand unlike the earlier version.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has anyone had experience with CONSTANDS centrestand?
They are substantially cheaper than other makes.

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Registered
374 Posts
Has anyone had experience with CONSTANDS centrestand?
They are substantially cheaper than other makes.

Sent from my iPhone8

I like the idea of saving cash, but substantially cheaper raises red flags.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts