StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be good to have a thread that we can refer to that talks about what parts are and are not directly transferrable from previous DL650's to the new 2012 DL650 (Wee II?)

For example, do the mounting points of the SW Motech side racks for the original DL650 work on the new DL650?

..Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
For the most part, stuff located on the upper part of the frame does not fit but other stuff does. Seats and windscreens are different. Luggage racks that use the top frame bolts like the SW-M don't fit. An exception is the Scotts steering stabilizer. Crash bars all seem to transfer. Center stands physically fit but don't have the stop on the exhaust so clang into the bottom of the bike unless some kind of cushion is created.

·
38,104 Posts
Dop you know if the Pyrimid Plastics Fenda Extenda from the original DL's fit the 2012 Dl650?
Not well enough for me. The new fender is narrower at the bottom.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
For the most part, stuff located on the upper part of the frame does not fit but other stuff does. Seats and windscreens are different. Luggage racks that use the top frame bolts like the SW-M don't fit. An exception is the Scotts steering stabilizer. Crash bars all seem to transfer. Center stands physically fit but don't have the stop on the exhaust so clang into the bottom of the bike unless some kind of cushion is created.
The Scotts WILL NOT bolt right in.

It can be made to fit yes.

You need to modify one of the brackets or drill a hole in the Scotts mounting plate to make it fit.

There's a round spigot on the front tank mount of 2012 bike which comes down to meet the lug cast into the frame so the Scotts mounting plate doesn't have room to fit. You can either grind down the spigot on the bracket, or drill a hole through the Scotts mounting plate.

Just FYI. The riser from the Scotts is also really tight on the piece of plastic in front of the tank. Warming the plastic with a heat gun (< 100c) or dipping it in hot water for a few seconds will help it slip in, warm it's just flexible enough to be able to get the plastic clips in and have it seat neatly, but could be fun if you do it in cold weather.

Pete

·
38,104 Posts
The Scotts takes some work but the same part is listed for all years of V-Stroms including 2012.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The Scotts takes some work but the same part is listed for all years of V-Stroms including 2012.
Yeah, and I've fitted one. There's quite a bit of work needed to get it to fit on an L2.

On the K6 it's just a drop in, possibly with the need to clean up some of the casting on the frame.

The L2 it also needs machine tools (or I guess a lot of patience with a file) and some irreversible mods to the hard parts.

Pete

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Caribou Cases

I heard from Caribou Cases and their brackets for previous Caribou/Pelican side cases won't fit. Here's what Roger sent:

Hi Dale,

You can reuse the cases, but you will need new side racks ($302) and a new mounting system ($190), shipping is $20 in the lower 48 USA. Note that you will have to re-drill the cases (template provided) and fill the old holes with JB Weld.

Thank you.

-roger

I asked Blair from SV Racing to check on swapping out the ELka rear shock. He's checking with Elka and I haven't heard back yet.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I heard from Caribou Cases and their brackets for previous Caribou/Pelican side cases won't fit, new mounts are required, plus you'll need to drill new holes in the cases and fill the previously drilled holes with JB Weld.
So are they available yet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, and I've fitted one. There's quite a bit of work needed to get it to fit on an L2.

On the K6 it's just a drop in, possibly with the need to clean up some of the casting on the frame.

The L2 it also needs machine tools (or I guess a lot of patience with a file) and some irreversible mods to the hard parts.

Pete
Do you have any pics of said install please?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Do you have any pics of said install please?
Nothing particularly useful. I had my hands full of DL parts when I was doing this.

The only non-obvious part is getting the side tank plastics off. There are numerous clips and a patch of 3M dual-lock holding them in place, so once you have ALL the necessary bolts out - you have to gently pull the panels back, up and out from the rear. The owners manual was pretty decent here.

The front plastics can stay in place, you only need the side panels and the small panel in front of the tank out of the way. A towel across the front of the tank will allow you to remove the tank without scratching it.

The rear tank bolt is the same as the last model, but the front pivot point has changed a lot - there's now a clamp at the front of the tank instead of a bolt it pivots on, and on the bottom of that clamp a bolt that goes through to the frame.

To keep everything tight, that clamp now has a round boss on it which meets the cast boss coming up from the FRAME. The Scotts mounting plate expects to sit in a no longer existant gap at that point - so metal has to come off somewhere. Drilling out the centre of the Scotts mounting plate is possibly the better option, but I couldn't do it on the small drill press I have at home.

Hope that's SOME help at least.

Pete

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I discovered that the mirror extenders used from my 2006 DL650 won't fit the 2012. The bolts etc appear the same, but the new Strom switch units on the handlebars are taller than previously so that the extenders won't clear.

..Tom

·
38,104 Posts
Wouldn't a washer or two get it high enough?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Anyone ask Jesse Luggage? I'd assume the bags are the same but the frame different.

·
Administrator
13,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wouldn't a washer or two get it high enough?
I think it needs a bit more than tht.. Maybe half an inch or more but il take a second look tonight. I was just looked at a diagram of an SW-Motech unit and it has a tubular spacer on the bottom so that and a longer bolt will prob take care of it.

..Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think it needs a bit more than tht.. Maybe half an inch or more but il take a second look tonight. I was just looked at a diagram of an SW-Motech unit and it has a tubular spacer on the bottom so that and a longer bolt will prob take care of it.

..Tom
Richland Rick's extenders fit with just enough clearance to operate the switches. I re-used the existing spacers.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Will a SW-Motech plate for top boxes made for the earlier models fit the 2012 Wee?

Just wondering if the bolt holes line up where it attaches to the stock rack?

·
38,104 Posts
The 2012 has an entirely different rack. Besides hole placement, it is resin and stuff bolted to it really does best with metal inserts in the holes. I have a universal Givi mount I intend to make work.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts