StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exhaust to get, akrapovic is my first choice , any one have a sound clip , I do not want something to loud while cruising.

Does it get to hot to put soft saddle bags against ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally, I would not want anything louder than my stock exhaust. The extra 4-6 HP is great, but still not enough to warrant $800.

·
Registered
48 Posts
STOCK EXHAUST IS FOR GIRLS AND LIBERALS or is that progressives?? I had a scorpion on my wee and liked the sound.. Dan
Vessell makes a guard for the left side if yer usin soft bags
I would tend to agree....:thumbup: though might have been a little bit more PC.

The Akro sounds great IMO, I don't mind the 'noise' it makes while cruising. Its quiet compared to having a 650CC thumper cracking behind you at Cruising Speed! Makes the wee sound like a motorbike and not an electric bike.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Personally, I would not want anything louder than my stock exhaust. The extra 4-6 HP is great, but still not enough to warrant $800.
1. Not much louder, for good or bad. It sounds best under large throttle settings a low and medium rpms.
2. 4-6hp? Baloney, figure it's 1-2 at most. The difference between my totally stock SV650S and a Gladius with PCIII, map and pipe was 7hp, peak, but that's not through the entore rpm range.
3. Weight loss is probably biggest benefit.

Stock. I tried to make these as similar as possible. Start bike, rev lightly, rev to 3,000 rpm and hold, rev to 4,000 rpm and release. So you can play one, pause it, then listen to the other.

Akrapovic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
STOCK EXHAUST IS FOR GIRLS AND LIBERALS or is that progressives?? I had a scorpion on my wee and liked the sound.. Dan
Vessell makes a guard for the left side if yer usin soft bags
For a sportsbike I could understand this comment. I had a scorpion street extreme exhaust on my sv650s and it sounded awesome. I also have a yoshi on my zx6r.

But on a v-strom...seriously? The stock exhaust is brilliant on the new strom. And the added noise doesn't add any extra cool factor to the v-strom. And if people are squeezing out an extra few hp by getting a new exhaust for $800, why did they get the v-strom in the first place?

Like I said, I can understand adding new exhausts to sportsbikes, but not to tourers.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
The main benefit I see with an aftermarket pipe is weight reduction: approximately 12-13 lbs weight-loss with the Akro (is what I have read here). That's a sizable amount...........especially if you have added rear racks, hard panniers (Ammo cans in my case), topbox, skidplate (I chose not too just because of the weight added), crash bars, tool tube full of tools (mine is 4" PVC, 18" long and can hold alot of heavy tools), etc, etc........

Is it worth $800 just for 13 lbs??.........depends on the owner and his budget.

·
Registered
287 Posts
For a sportsbike I could understand this comment. I had a scorpion street extreme exhaust on my sv650s and it sounded awesome. I also have a yoshi on my zx6r.

But on a v-strom...seriously? The stock exhaust is brilliant on the new strom. And the added noise doesn't add any extra cool factor to the v-strom. And if people are squeezing out an extra few hp by getting a new exhaust for $800, why did they get the v-strom in the first place?

Like I said, I can understand adding new exhausts to sportsbikes, but not to tourers.
soooo let me get this straight.. are you saying no one who buys a strom should like the sound of a throatier exhaust.. if I wanted to listen to a sewing machine I woulda bought a SINGER.. I had my wee for about a week b4 I ordered my scorpion.. prolly added about 0 hp. took off a few lbs. and sounded MUCH better... I now have a 2003 dl1000...it came with staintunes and sounds pretty good wih the end caps out.. BUT I just bought a set of 2 bros. because I want MORE sound, plus with a power commander I heard it gains around 8hp.. staintunes look great and sound pretty good but I WANT MORE.. p.s. I turn 60 in 2 months..

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Akrapovic seem like the ONLY choice for the new Wee as of now, unless Leo Vince makes one.

And the Akra is only $700 from SV racing.

I still want one. I love the louder V twin sound! :hurray:

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Akrapovič sounds deep and mellow at part throttle and under 5,000. Over that, it gets a bit louder, proportionately. With the Db Killer Baffle in, it sounds surprisingly like stock, only slightly deeper.
Either way, cruising along at a given speed, neither one seems any louder than stock from the rider's point of view.
I'm actually thinking about modifying the Db baffle to find a sound somewhere between it and no baffle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd go with the Akra if you're dead set on purchasing now. I'm in the market to replace the stock exhaust on my wee, not to fond of it at all and do not like the "electric" sound the bike currently puts out. I've decided to wait to see if another company decides to throw it's hat in the ring like Leo Vince..etc..

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Akrapovič sounds deep and mellow at part throttle and under 5,000. Over that, it gets a bit louder, proportionately. With the Db Killer Baffle in, it sounds surprisingly like stock, only slightly deeper.
Either way, cruising along at a given speed, neither one seems any louder than stock from the rider's point of view.
I'm actually thinking about modifying the Db baffle to find a sound somewhere between it and no baffle.
^this. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Honestly though, I think I might run with the baffle out when I ride for fun, and put it back in for commuting. The bike IS A LITTLE LOUD without it in and gets too much attention (usually from somebody in a car... and they always seem to be shaking their heads in disapproval).

·
Registered
255 Posts
get's too much attention? Isn't that half the point of having a new louder exhaust? :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
soooo let me get this straight.. are you saying no one who buys a strom should like the sound of a throatier exhaust.. if I wanted to listen to a sewing machine I woulda bought a SINGER.. I had my wee for about a week b4 I ordered my scorpion.. prolly added about 0 hp. took off a few lbs. and sounded MUCH better... I now have a 2003 dl1000...it came with staintunes and sounds pretty good wih the end caps out.. BUT I just bought a set of 2 bros. because I want MORE sound, plus with a power commander I heard it gains around 8hp.. staintunes look great and sound pretty good but I WANT MORE.. p.s. I turn 60 in 2 months..
This is what I was looking for- a good sound. I don't want something so loud that everyone turns to look. There are enough attention whores on Harleys around here already.

·
Registered
255 Posts
GIVE IT UP.. you OBVIOUSLY dont gettit
What's there to get oh wise one who turns 60 in 2 months? Please enlighten me. You upgraded your exhaust because you want a better sound. Congratulations! I did exactly the same on my ZX6R and SV for the same reason.

My opinion was that the stock '12 strom exhaust is good and I prefer switching exhausts on sports bikes not on tourers. Thats MY opinion. Doesn't matter if you like it or not, or if its right or wrong.

Chill out and learn to accept other peoples opinions even if you don't agree with them BEFORE you start saying crap like QUOTE "STOCK EXHAUST IS FOR GIRLS"

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I'd go with the Akra if you're dead set on purchasing now. I'm in the market to replace the stock exhaust on my wee, not to fond of it at all and do not like the "electric" sound the bike currently puts out. I've decided to wait to see if another company decides to throw it's hat in the ring like Leo Vince..etc..
I liked the Scorpion but they only made them for 06 and earlier.

The Akrapovic is nicely made, fits well and with no cutting required, you could later refit the stocker if need be.

·
Registered
815 Posts
What are you doing with your Staintunes? Email me if you are getting rid of them. Address is in my signature.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts