StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 90k miles on my 2007 650. Love the bike, still gives me a smile when I get on it. Looking at a 2014 1k, low miles and a good price. Just for grins of course. ? So I don't need comparisons between the 2, I am really just interested in what you owners don't like about it, perhaps the little things that get under your skin. The seller was nice enough to let me take it for a short ride, and of course I like the power, but you can't tell too much more from that. Of course I know I'd have to make ergonomic changes to suit me, but that will be the case with just about any bike.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
It is really hard to beat as a reasonable all-around adventure bike with enough power for two and steep hills/mountains but not too much crazy power. Most changes will be minor and for your personal preferences. I rode 154 miles today and it was a slice of heaven. Comfortable stock although I added $18 mirror extenders so I didn't have to see my shoulders. I guess if buying mid to premium gas bothers one that might be a nit but I am hard-pressed to think of something that bothers me. My 650 on the other absolutely needed a different seat (it was bad after an hour) and I got a Terry Adcox. Stock works well for me on the Vee2.

Reactions: BUBBAMAN

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 2014 v2 is the best bike I've owned. Just replaced the oem tires after 12,300 mi. with the same brand. I love the bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
"The seat, The seat, The seat"

And I miss the storage room my Wee had under that seat.

I do prefer a cable clutch over the hydraulic unit on the V2 but I can live with it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The worst thing about owning the V2 is having to look up how to change the clock twice a year!
Seriously, I love it. Way better than my 2006 DL650 in every way.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
This bike was near perfect brand new, the seat was reasonable although I did get sore on long rides so I swapped it out. The windshield was a little small on rainy days so that was replaced too. Other than a million ad-on extras the bike is a great purchase.

I have thought about changing the bike for giggles, but cannot think of anything better at this price point with these features and reliability.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I lowered the pegs and extended the shifter. I also added mirror extenders. Those I needed to do.

My two biggest complaints - no shaft drive and no cruise control. But, I still love this bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whats not to like it does everything I ask. Sport bike, touring bike and adventuresome backwoods. It does it all at a awesome price point. So many options now to make it your bike. I have 70K with these Vee2's. Would buy another tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Reactions: Hanz

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Me too. lol I am so used to these things it might be tough to switch to a real cruise control.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't know how to use it after 30 years without it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 02 VFR was the "perfect" bike for 35k of the 40k miles I rode it. Still think the 800cc v4 is the motor of all motors. Gimme 10k miles of use and I'll let you know likes/dislikes

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I agree with all other posters. Needed mirror extenders, but for me, that's about it. Currently, just shy of 30000 miles. Was just at the n.y. motorcycle Show, and for the life of me, could not find another bike I had to have.I even looked at, and sat on the new multistrada 950, and could not see where or why it was better than my 1000. And, just my opinion, I find the seat just fine. I had the Givi adjustable screen on my 650, and it was great. I found no need to change the windshield on my 1000. It gives me fresh air around my chest without any buffeting. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
well all depends what you want it for....

but here are my gripes (they are mostly if you go off road) now abs kill switch or off road mode ,handlebars not adjustable, rear rack worth a shit,
ground clearance a little low ,first gear a little jumpy ,seat a little hard ,screen is too small.

now except for the ground clearance and rear rack...all fixable.

now i want to say it's a great bike!!! the engine is awesome.
but if you plan to go a lot of off road then i would go with the AT or the new 1090 adv r that coming out.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The seat for me is awesome! (i rarely go out for rides that are less than 6 hours)

For the negatives:
Rear rack flakes off, but it's no biggie, it gives the bike tough cred.
No real electronic cruise control.
Weird shaped side luggage.

It's all i can think of :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
nearly 32,000 kms (20K miles) now.
Handlebars raised, footpegs lowered, ride height raised. So these were the things I wanted to change but they weren't urgent and I took my time to see exactly what I wanted. Those modifications probably cost $150 all up and some of my time - although I feel time spent modifying and learning is never a waste.

I have fitted a Kaoko cruise control for long straight roads, a heavy duty 15A waterproof power source to my crash bars.
Paint worn on luggage rack but no big deal since it's a bike that shows it's used to do things other than glamping around the place.
I voluntarily sent my clutch basket away for a permanent fix to the noise many develop but that was my choice and one that others don't feel the need to do.
Accessories include standard hard panniers (big enough for me in conjunction with an intrument case on the rear rack).
Comfortable all day seat for me. Screen is moved away from it's mounts by 35mm to allow air flow up the inside.
Will not be throwing away money on anything else till technology gives us a similar bike at under 200 kgs fuelled up.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Reactions: V-Tom
1 - 20 of 72 Posts