1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Either a car tire mounted on a motorcycle or this... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Darkside" simply means switching from a motorcycle tire in the rear to a car tire. Every post I've read, (here and on other forums) and every video I've watched is from people who have done it and will never go back to motorcycle tires on the rear. Better selection, more contact patch, lower cost, and two to five times more miles per tire.
The other posts have been from people who haven't done it, and yet will tell you that you shouldn't because car tires aren't meant to lean, and how crazy you are, etc...

Personally, I will try a winter tire come November and stretch out my riding season.

·
Registered
254 Posts
"Darkside" simply means switching from a motorcycle tire in the rear to a car tire. Every post I've read, (here and on other forums) and every video I've watched is from people who have done it and will never go back to motorcycle tires on the rear. Better selection, more contact patch, lower cost, and two to five times more miles per tire.
The other posts have been from people who haven't done it, and yet will tell you that you shouldn't because car tires aren't meant to lean, and how crazy you are, etc...

Personally, I will try a winter tire come November and stretch out my riding season.
Yes, if you only ride on straight roads

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

I just watched a video, showing the contact patch lift and distort while making modest turns in a parking lot.

If you want to ride it the way it was designed to corner, it's sheer idiocy. And you're right, I haven't tried this or lots of other stupid skinflint ideas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dark side

it means you live in the prairies :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Or, you don't need to use your kickstand to hold up the bike....the car tire does that!

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Not to get off topic.........(was there a topic in this thread??)......but, what is the appeal of using the car tire........only long tread life (and I guess cheaper to buy)????? If longer tread life is what you are looking for, I would think there would be plenty of alternative "motorcycle-specific" tires out there that would do that.....plus give some of the sidewall flex desired??? I don't know.......I'm just axing??? Maybe a big goldwing/HD bagger/Triumph Rocket type tire........made for a huge bike???? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Not to get off topic.........(was there a topic in this thread??)......but, what is the appeal of using the car tire........only long tread life (and I guess cheaper to buy)????? If longer tread life is what you are looking for, I would think there would be plenty of alternative "motorcycle-specific" tires out there that would do that.....plus give some of the sidewall flex desired??? I don't know.......I'm just axing??? Maybe a big goldwing/HD bagger/Triumph Rocket type tire........made for a huge bike???? :confused:
Cruiser tires are designed mostly for long life with the heavy weight of those bikes and would readily last well over 10,000 miles on a V-Strom.

Here's the video I mentioned. Purporting to show why it's OK to use a car tire, it demonstrates quite the opposite.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Here's a better video, from an infinitely better point of view - it's interesting to note that when the rider is halfway thru the video, and starts zig zagging, the tire doesn't shift from side to side as one might think it would.

Interesting.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
My friend Rob, an accomplished Iron Butt rider, showed up with a car tire on his Vee at Daytona this year. He said that the car tire does not handle well (or as well) in corners as a bike tire does. But that's not as important to him as getting the mileage, so he's happy with the car tire. For me, handling and grip are more important than tire life, which is why I bought Avon Super Venoms for my HD (about 3-4k on a rear) and Conti RA's for the Vee (about 6k on a rear).

I have nothing against car tires, I just wouldn't want my sister to marry one.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
30,000 miles is not uncommon on a CT..I did it on my V when I had a sidecar on it,after I took the sidecar off I left the CT on and liked it alot.I'm NOT a peg dragger,but I could with the CT if I wanted to.I'm a everyday rider in Seattle,I ride about a1,000 miles a month in the winter and double that in the summer.My biggest cost's are FUEL,TIRES and OIL so by going darkside I eliminated one of the cost's!!.At $100.00 a tire and 25,000 miles per tire thats
0.004 cents per mile.!!For somebody like me with not money it makes it very appealing.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Or, you don't need to use your kickstand to hold up the bike....the car tire does that!
surprisingly, the bike is harder to balance when sitting still, than with a bike tire.

at increasing speeds, the center expands more then the edges changing its shape and arching more like a bike tire shape, just think, we're pinching a 205/50 intended for a 5½"-7½" wheel width on to a 4" wheel:yikes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe the Goldwing or the HD, but those Rocket III tires don't last long at all! As a Triumph owner, I ride with several RIII owners and that is one of their biggest complaints is tire life (with 160 lb*ft of torque, I can't imagine why). There are a lot of RIII darksiders.

As for me, I'm going to fall on the side of I'm not going to try it, but I support those that do. Maybe if there were enough darksiders, the motorcycle tire manufacturers would design longer life tires at a fair price.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
In my opinion it's about as smart to run car tires on a motorcycle as it is to run motorcycle tires on a car. Personally I'm not doing either.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
In my opinion it's about as smart to run car tires on a motorcycle as it is to run motorcycle tires on a car. Personally I'm not doing either.
not a fair comparison, a motorcycle tire would not meet the load rating required to support the weigh of a car

another advantage of a CT on a bike, you can easily exceed the max weight rating of the stock MC tire on the V-strom by riding 2 up with cargo

at this point, the CT is safer than a bike tire

with suspension upgrades and the CT, I have increased the payload by 300 lbs or more

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
not a fair comparison, a motorcycle tire would not meet the load rating required to support the weigh of a car...
It IS a fair comparison. Motorcycle tires may not meet the load ratings of a car tire but car tires don't meet the handling requirements for a motorcycle. The compounds are wrong, the profile is wrong, the treads are wrong. In my opinion one is just as wrong as the other.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts