StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I am launching a new online motorcycle magazine (www.adventurebikingnews.com) next month aimed only at adventure bikers and I would love any in put you have on what you want from a biking mag.

At the moment we plan to have daily news coverage; trip reports; interviews with riders on those mammoth journeys; photos and videos of the rides; techy developments and reviews. But what are we missing?

The site will be completely free and I hope you will all get involved. If all goes well we should go into print later this year/early next.

If you want to get in touch with me email at [email protected]

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
How about a section on farkling with a how to install on various adventure bikes or cost benefits of various add-ons, etc?

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
I agree with SH some great "how to" vids like like adding fork valves, valve adjusts, farkle add on's etc.

Riding tips would also be nice.

Ron W.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Just another thought.

Maybe a "this worked for me" section about repairs on the road, or adjustment made to gear or bike that made an unexpected breakdown or nasty situation better while on the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adventure Motorcycle News

Thanks guys for your feedback, you are giving us a lot to get working on, keep it coming!

On this side of the pond we are used to motorbiking and motorcycling, but it has "biking" is causing some confusion in the US. There is no harm in a pre-launch rebrand. Before you know it we'll be functioning under www.adventuremotorcyclenews.com (www.adventurebikingnews.com will still work so no need to change your book marks!).

If you want to get involved and help with reviews/trip reports or anything else then please get in touch ([email protected] soon to be [email protected]!)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I love to read comparison tests. One thing that I wish other magazines did more is tests of different sizes and styles versus each other.

You could compare the advantages of a v-strom 650 versus a large BMW GS versus a KLR etc. To me, that would be much more informative than reading the small differences between the four 600cc supersports.

·
Registered
654 Posts
maybe a addition to frackles, but also freckled bike installs. Ie take someone like hell myself who spent all winter making there bike into a touring beast and go over the ideas. Mostly custom ideas of course or odd ball ones. IE the crash bars are normal mods not a oddball.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'd suggest giving a serious review of ROADRunner magazine (in print and on-line). They set the standard, IMHO. One of the things I miss from their articles, however, is a more thorough description of the gear and bikes used in ride reports.

I know how to ride and pick good roads. But choosing what farkles are best, and what gear to pack -- and perhaps more importantly, how to pack it -- seems to be lacking.

I tend to skip over articles that cover flat roads in Arkansas ridden on cruisers and focus more on curvier roads, especially in the Western US, and on bikes that are closer to the Strom in design and capabilities. Perhaps taking a more specialized approach than ROADRunner will help you stand out. Any time you specialize you tend to get fewer readers but they become more attentive. It can also help your advertisers because they know your demographic is better defined and 'targeted'. Dual-sport farkle makers don't want to advertise to the Harley crowd; it's a waste of their money.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Something I used in an e-zine from years ago that people really seemed to like was a "20-questions" bio of a contributing writer/rider. Have them answer some questions that we all face or debate....sometimes that's compelling reading.

1. What's a perfect ride?

2. Why are you on the bike you're on?

3. Do you have a travel philosophy?

4. What's the cheapest accessory you've gotten the most out of?

etc.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
In-depth investigative reporting on manufacturer's product development and prototyping with photos and video, of course.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The one thing I hate about all current magazines and sites is that there is absolutely no bad reviews at all. I assume it is because the manufacturers are also the advertisers in the magazine. Just once I would like to see an honest review of a bike or merchandise that says "it is junk" or "beware."

If you do ride reports it would be great if you could have the GPS route posted on line so others may follow it.

Good luck on your endevour.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea! If this works out well, you'll steal my readership away from Ultimate Motorcycling!

Stuff I really like to see in magazines (this is why I barely ever read any...)

1. GOOD writing. Not just grammatically...I want to FEEL an adventure, not read about one. I want to know what it FEELS like to ride a street bike down a rocky gulch, not read about it. Demand good writing from your contributors, and good writers will find you.

2. Same goes for photography. Good photography for web and print means large resolutions (most serious scenic magazines won't even take digital photos...only large format film), even if they have to be shrunken for real use. Best rule to follow, after you make sure it isn't a totally cliche picture: does it make your heart beat faster?

3. LOTS of content. The downside to magazines is that they are over so fast. Guys like me read the whole thing in an hour if it is a big one...the more the merrier. A blog that releases online-only content on a more regular basis to compliment your print magazine is a REALLY smart idea.

Basically, have high standards. It is harder to make a magazine (or anything, for that matter) a good one, but it is worth it. Leads to more loyal readership, and you draw very talented content providers to yourself.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
enough of the BMW yuppie scum articles

Please, not too may Bavarian Manure Wagon articiles. The other mag's have that covered. More stuff for us mere mortal's please. Like for instance, Wee Stroms, Dr650's and the occassional KLR article.

Thanking you in advance

Orange #19:hurray:

·
Registered
322 Posts
...agreed!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good luck on this adventure.Sounds great.

Each month offer a tech spotlight where you highlight some maintenance item on the most common adv tourers, complete with pictures, and a web site that could answer questions.

Clem

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Please, not too may Bavarian Manure Wagon articiles. The other mag's have that covered. More stuff for us mere mortal's please. Like for instance, Wee Stroms, Dr650's and the occassional KLR article.

Thanking you in advance

Orange #19:hurray:
Maybe an expose on the full extent of the final drive failure issue and how BMW is dealing with the problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Things I'd like to see:

1. Campground reviews, ranking on price, amenities, proximity to supplies of fresh food and beer.

2. Road food guide.

3. Strip bar reviews.

4. Small town m/c dealer/repair shop reviews and references.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts