StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. So I bought an 07 DL1000, 13000 miles.. Love it. However, after bringing it home.. The battery died.. I do have a PIAA light setup, with switch, but the lights are always OFF. Jumped the bike, and it ran for awhile. Then started dying again. Would ride OK for a few days, then die.. Put a brand new battery in it. Ran like a champ for about a week. Didn't ride it for about 8 days. Started it up last night, and went to the grocery store. Walked out side.. DEAD. Got it jumped. Drove it for 20 minutes to a friends place. and DEAD.

So the point is.. It has a brand new battery and only starts with a jump at this point. You'd think if battery was low, riding it fast for 20 minutes would charge it back up. Someone said something maybe about stator coils? I don't know i'm lost.. anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Put a volt meter across the battery's terminals while the engine is running. When you raise the rpm to 4,000 to 5,000 you should read a bit over 13 volts. If not your charging system is not working satisfactorily. If so, could be the stator. There is a resistance test that will check it out if that's what you suspect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.. Thanks for the info. I jumped the bike, and it started. I put a volt meter where you mentioned and raised rpm to 4k-5k. It fluctuated from 12-12.7 volts. Definitely wouldn't go over 13volts. It's a bit puzzling, as the bike only has 13,000 miles on it. Would you think this is indeed the charging system? If so, is it an easy install? Could it be anything else? Sorry.. I'm a bit new to this, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Put a volt meter across the battery's terminals while the engine is running. When you raise the rpm to 4,000 to 5,000 you should read a bit over 13 volts. If not your charging system is not working satisfactorily. If so, could be the stator. There is a resistance test that will check it out if that's what you suspect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also read some scary stories about the magnets melting off in the stator.. That's concerning.. One quick thought on the reading I did. I did the reading right after I started the engine up. Should it have been a bit warm first?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Ok.. Thanks for the info. I jumped the bike, and it started. I put a volt meter where you mentioned and raised rpm to 4k-5k. It fluctuated from 12-12.7 volts. Definitely wouldn't go over 13volts. It's a bit puzzling, as the bike only has 13,000 miles on it. Would you think this is indeed the charging system? If so, is it an easy install? Could it be anything else? Sorry.. I'm a bit new to this, but don't mind getting my hands dirty.
research around here and you will find failing stators are not that uncommon on the Vee. do some more searching. maybe greywolf will chime in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The normal charging range for a car charging system is 13.8-14.2 volts. If you are under that but still above 12.5, you probably have a voltage rectifier problem. That is one of the weak links on the Strom.
There is some information on an aftermarket solution that is better than the factory rectifier. That one has mosfet diodes, there are several discussions on the Vstrom charging system.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a set of tests to determine if the problem is the stator or the rectifier. There are three wires coming from the stator. They may be either black or yellow. None of them should be grounded so check the resistance between each wire and ground. The Ohms reading should be infinity. Any two of the three wires should output at least 75 volts AC on an AC voltmeter with the engine running at 3000rpm. with the engine off and the wires disconnected from the rectifier, the resistance between any two of the wires should be between 0.2 and 0.5 Ohms. If any of those criteria are not met, the stator needs to be replaced and the magnets on the rotor need to be checked that they are solidly glued on and equidistant from each other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Grey Wolf. I don't have a service manual, and am very new to tinkering on a bike. I feel silly asking, but where and how do I get to the stator and R/R?

If this helps in trouble shooting at all, please share any insight. I charged the battery on a trickle charger over night, and it started right up. Does this help cancel out some of the possible issues? Also, If I were to just keep it on a trickle charger at night, how long would it typically take mileage wise, before the battery dies again, and I have to jump it to get it going?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'll let somebody who owns a DL1000 answer that. The 1000 has the R/R in a different place than my 650. You may be able to follow the wire bundle from the left side cover on the engine to the connection.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You won't get much more than 100 miles on battery only. Discharging the battery that much isn't good for it either, unless you have a Shorai.

Check your mailbox for more info.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Everything you're looking for should be under the left plastic below the seat. I took a quick peak there not too long ago and I believe the stator wires are black, but I may be wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts