StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Oxford Heaterz that I will be installing though an Eastern Beaver Fuse panel, as members have stated that the stock handgrip connector plug does not supply consistent power.

This begs the question. What should I do with the now unneeded power connector. It seems a shame to let it go to waste. The lead is already located at the front of the bike and is both fused and switched. So what other applications are people using this plug for?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the OEM heated grip connector and it does supply consistent power. It is fused by the signal fuse so turn signals and brake lights would be lost if whatever was plugged into it blew the fuse. Since I have a fuse panel, I don't use it for anything. It can be used for anything that draws the same or less power than OEM heated grips. Heated clothing or lights would be a bit much but most anything else can be handled. What electrical accessories do you want that you don't have yet? Do you have a voltmeter for example? With heated equipment and extra lights, it's important.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just getting started on my electrical farkles, this is what I have and have planned.

1. Heaterz - switched from EB panel
  2. SAE plug: battery tender, compressor, etc - unswitched from panel
  3. Garman GPSmap 60csx - unswitched from pannel
  4. Electrified tank bag: phone, ipod, other low draw stuff - panel, switched
  5. Spare Powerlet outlet: Just in case - switched
  6. Lights: probably go with LED for low power draw - switched*
  7. Maybe vest - switched*
* Don't have

A voltmeter would probably be a good idea. Do you have any recommendations?

The reason that I am wiring the Heaterz directly to the fuse box rather than the OEM plug is that many members report that Oxford's controller cuts out sporadically when wired to the standard outlet.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
A voltmeter would probably be a good idea. Do you have any recommendations?
In no particular order:

1. Martel
2. Datel
3. 5 Function Digital Meter

#3 is what I believe GreyWolf uses. It's not totally waterproof, but he's had success tucking it away under the instrument cluster. #2, the Datel is a sealed unit, but only is a voltmeter. None of the extra fancy functions. #1 seems very similar to the Datel.

There are others, I'm sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts