StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of us jumped on our Stroms and hit the pavement yeserday or today. I am about to jump back out there and brave the last minute Christmas Shoppers on the roads around Baltimore. How could I not with temps in the high 40s and low 50s? Don't write now enjoy the sun and write back after your done :)
Merry Christmas fellow Stromtroopers

·
Registered
43 Posts
There were a couple of us on DL1000s out Christmas Eve AM near Wilmington, DE. Warm but the electric gloves were needed. I'm retired, so I'm out most any decent day, though I might be on one of a variety of bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been riding to/from work on the dry days. Rode a week ago yesterday @28deg and the Friday before Christmas. Also rode today. Home is Milford CT and work is New Haven. It was 33 today. Not bad.

I wish I could have gotten out on Saturday though. It was nice.

--Kevin

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin you are a better man than I :shock: That is just too darn cold for me. I guess I am a wimp when it comes to cold but after winter mountain school in the Army and multiple winter exersizes I just don't want to play in the cold anymore. My hat is off to you man. Don't you worry about a stray ice slick or a shady spot that refroze?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would love to wait until the temperature gets above my age (59) but since the DL650 makes me feel younger I lowered it to 40 degrees.

G

·
0 Posts
I was out in western Maryland yesterday (great way to start the new year!). Had my hippo hands on, and my heated vest (turned it off though - at 43 degrees it was too warm!). Gorgeous ride, little traffic, found some fun backroads.

Trevor

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man yesterday was wonderful for riding the Strom in Maryland. I sure hope this keeps up. I am really feeling for all you guys and girls that can't get out there and still have your fingers and toes left when your done. The weather in the Mid Atlantic has been very, very good to me. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Winter in Florida

I really feel bad about posting this since most of you live in Maryland, but I went on a 200 mile ride yesterday along the gulf coast of Florida. It was a beautiful day, and the weather was in the mid 70's (just a little above my age). I live in the central part of Florida, and managed to find a few new back roads heading to the coast. My initial target was Tarpon Springs, just north of Tampa. This historic and picturesque community is clustered around beautiful saltwater bayous and other waterways. It is world famous for it sponge industry and antique shops in the historic downtown area.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I wandered around the waterfront area for a while, and then headed north along the gulf coast. The next beautiful city was Port Richey, then Bayonet Point, and a little farther up was Hudson, with some very awesome beaches.

As the sun started to dropped low into the horizon, I made it to Weeki Wachee, home of Weeki Wachee Springs, one of Florida's oldest attractions.

It was time to head home, so I headed East on Hwy 50, which isn't an exciting road, but got me home just as it turned dark. It was a nice ride, but aren't they all.

If you get the chance, come on down to Florida in the winter time. You can ride in comfort almost every day.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey Guess,
nice pics. I live 25 miles north of 50. You ride during the week? So do I. Most of my friends work. Give me a call when you are up this way again. Great roads a little north in the Ocala Horse Farms, twisties and nice sweeps.

Charlie

·
Registered
169 Posts
Riding

Hey Charlie.....I posted the above ride report, but I guess I wasn't signed in. I'm looking forward to see you this weekend at the Florida V-Strom Meet & Greet.

Lou

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
Re: Winter in Florida

Anonymous said:
I really feel bad about posting this since most of you live in Maryland, but I went on a 200 mile ride yesterday along the gulf coast of Florida. It was a beautiful day, and the weather was in the mid 70's (just a little above my age). I live in the central part of Florida, and managed to find a few new back roads heading to the coast. My initial target was Tarpon Springs, just north of Tampa. This historic and picturesque community is clustered around beautiful saltwater bayous and other waterways. It is world famous for it sponge industry and antique shops in the historic downtown area.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I wandered around the waterfront area for a while, and then headed north along the gulf coast. The next beautiful city was Port Richey, then Bayonet Point, and a little farther up was Hudson, with some very awesome beaches.

As the sun started to dropped low into the horizon, I made it to Weeki Wachee, home of Weeki Wachee Springs, one of Florida's oldest attractions.

It was time to head home, so I headed East on Hwy 50, which isn't an exciting road, but got me home just as it turned dark. It was a nice ride, but aren't they all.

If you get the chance, come on down to Florida in the winter time. You can ride in comfort almost every day.
Don't EVER... post that kind of crap this time of year again!! :lol: :lol: Why aren't you a member... do you own a Strom?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Florida Riding

Big B...Sorry for posting stuff like that during this time of the year. I know it's not nice, but just had to do it. Yes, I am a member and have a V-Strom, but I guess I wasn't signed in.

PS - Come on down to Florida next weekend and you can ride with our Florida V-Strom group. One of us will be posting a story and some pics on that ride as well.

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
Re: Florida Riding

motoxusa said:
Big B...Sorry for posting stuff like that during this time of the year. I know it's not nice, but just had to do it. Yes, I am a member and have a V-Strom, but I guess I wasn't signed in.

PS - Come on down to Florida next weekend and you can ride with our Florida V-Strom group. One of us will be posting a story and some pics on that ride as well.
Welcome to the site!!! If I didn't have a small little thing called "WORK", I would take you up on that invitation! :wink: Actually... me and a couple of pals, are gonna take a mid May ride down to the Blue Ridge mountains area, and ride the Dragon and wherever else we may end up! 8)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: Florida Riding

Big B said:
Welcome to the site!!! If I didn't have a small little thing called "WORK", I would take you up on that invitation! :wink: Actually... me and a couple of pals, are gonna take a mid May ride down to the Blue Ridge mountains area, and ride the Dragon and wherever else we may end up! 8)
I went up to Maggie Valley, NC in October for a dual sport ride in the mountains, which was great. I also spent a day checking out the paved roads in that area, and they were equally exciting. I only wish I'd been on my V-Strom instead of my DRZ400. A few of the tight turns on knobbys were a little scary :shock: .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another plus 60 day! This is almost too much to ask for here in the Mid Atlantic. I sure hope it keeps up but more importantly I hope you are all taking advantage of it. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
jag44 said:
Another plus 60 day! This is almost too much to ask for here in the Mid Atlantic. I sure hope it keeps up but more importantly I hope you are all taking advantage of it. :D
Oh yeah! Was a good riding day with a beautiful sunset in northern Delaware. My wheels were a'turnin...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hardly missed a day

I've even ridden up to the Blue Ridge Parkway area for a couple long weekends. Heading to DC for three days of work Monday.

The VStrom is now my fly fishing hauler to hit the fire roads in the George Washington National Forest.

Liking this mild winter!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/BmwDuc/VStromfish.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BMWDUC
How do you hook up a fly pole to your bike? That must look like a long whip antenna or something. I was thinking about a fishing pole on the bike but a fly rod is too much :D

G

·
0 Posts
Have to work on my posting abilities, image didn't show

Well, it is just a 4 piece road. Won't quite fit in the GIvi's, though! But the top case is good for my vest and waders.

Now I have to go figure out how to fix my image....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts