StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using plexus and novus for about 2 years and have a really heavy build up on the shield. When I ride in any kind of humidity the shield gets a foggy film on it. Trying to clean the film with either of the 2 products only makes it worse. Last night I took the shield off and cleaned it with dish washing soap which seemed to remove the film.

So, what do you guys use?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I use pledge
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Paper towels

Everyone can cringe, but I have used bounty papertowels and whatever kind of soap and water I can find.

On a decent shield with scratch protection, good quality paper towels are no issue.

I've found that once a shield starts to fog easily, it's time for a new one. I snowmobile alot, and shield care/fogging is a huge issue for that sport.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Clean my face shield? Interesting idea.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Water, microfiber cloth.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I use Plexus and a microcloth. I use it on my helmet, visor, screen, and basically the whole bike. Great stuff. Expensive, but worth it.

I've used Plexus for years and have never had any build-up.

SS

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
All optical shops sell a lens cleaner specially formulated for anti-reflective and anti-glare lenses (which mostly get their special properties because of thin chemical coatings). I use it on my regular eyeglasses, my sunglasses, and my helmet visors. It cleans very well and is easily absorbed by microfiber cloths and wipes.

The best part: Buy a bottle at the Wal-Mart Optical Shop -- they have two sizes -- and get free refills. I've been doing that for at least three years. Of course, they'll figure out that it's costing them money someday and quit the freebies, but until then it's a great deal.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I wash my faceshield with my open palm by wetting it first, pass my hand over it until the bugs are softened and wiped away. You can feel the surface of the shield really well and can tell when it's clean. It seems most bugs are water-soluable. Then I use any soft material such as an old (but clean) t-shirt, or sometimes the t-shirt I have on under my jacket (just wipe the shield on your tummy a couple of times). I know this won't please the fastidious or the particular, but its quick, effective, and convenient. Some of my riding buddys are now doing this as well.

If there is a lot of filminess inside, I remove the shield and give it a thorough cleaning session with soapy glass cleaner and a super-soft cloth, and its good again for a month or two.

I avoid anything abrasive like paper towels because I think this leads to a 'foggy' surface faster than necessary. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
pledge too!

I have had good luck with using lemon Pledge, and old t-shirts. I spray the Pledge, let is soak for a bit, and wipe. The wax helps the next cleaning too. If I clean and ride, the fresh bugs can be wiped away with your glove. It works on my windscreen too! My Harley riding friends are addicted to Chrome polish, they cringe at the thought of cruizing the home cleaning aisle at the grocery store! ;) I found this tip right here last year, and it works!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Sprayway Glass Cleaner is a great non-ammonia cleaner for glass and plastic. We buy it at Costco, it's the best we've found for removing sun dried dog snot from car windows, and cleans bike windshields and visors very well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I too use Pledge and, if I'm at the house, Plexus.
I like the lemony fresh smell in my helmet. ;-)
I use it on the windshield and the rest of the bike, have for years, with no problems.
bill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I avoid anything abrasive like paper towels because I think this leads to a 'foggy' surface faster than necessary. Just my opinion.
You are in the majority, but I stand by my position that bounty paper towels are soft enough and don't do any harm. I go through tons of them!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now I'm curious.

I'm going to go home and try to cause damage to my stock vstrom windshield with dry Bounty paper towels. (no I don't work for bounty, or whoever makes them (SC Johson I think).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the responses. I may try the Walmart eyeglass cleaner trick, I like the free refills. BTW no problems today after the dish washing soap, but I"m thinking it's time for a new shield (2 years old now).

Glenn

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
I use Plexus and a microcloth. I use it on my helmet, visor, screen, and basically the whole bike. Great stuff. Expensive, but worth it.

I've used Plexus for years and have never had any build-up.

SS
What Silverstrom said. No build up for me either and when the bugs are thick I spray it on pretty heavy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts