StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a little kit to keep in my top case for daily riding, tire repair, chemlights, water & snacks... What kind of stuff do you guys carry for the daily commute?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Tire repair kit, A wet microfibre cloth (in a bag) as well as a dry one. Extra earplugs. Depending on the time of year, one or two extra layers of clothes that can go on top (My old frogg toggs jacket and/or a heavy ski/fleece kind of jacket. Extra gloves (warmer and colder weather) as well as my Aerostitch triple digit overgloves (for rain). An extra flashlight (a windup one) to complment the really cool one that 568V8 got me that fits on the handlebars and is very handy if stopped in the middle of nowhere in the dark. I have two kinds of tie downs.. the web kind and a set of ROC straps. (Both work well depending on what I need to carry) as well as a little reuseable shopping bag in case I pick up some groceries on the way home. I also have a sidestand pad for stopping in soft ground.

Factory tools plus leatherman multi-tool, compressor, manuals for the bike all fit under the seat.

If on day rides I'll add some water and chain lube (I lube after every gas fillup.)

..Tom

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Looks like a decent kit, add some Stainless stell wire, duct tape, spare plug, master link, and toilet paper, those bicyle wrenches are very handy in a pinch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
V-Tom ... Very interesting links! I had always done this but now I know why.

Well , when I read the title, I was going to say .... a 45.

But, since the other replies have been more about tools and such.
I have a moto pump tire repair kit, a cell phone, and a credit card. I do carry rain gear, mosquito repellant, a lighter, and a flashlight, as well as some zip ties, a roll of rescue tape, and a leatherman.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Just like the old saying goes....lawyers, guns, and money.

So my lawyer friend's card, a Glock (9mm of course), and a Visa card with a nice limit. All have been needed at least once.

In addition, gortex rain suit, pack of rainX knock off for plastic, tire repair kit capable of patching multiple 9mm holes, Gerbings heated vest with controller, mini LED flashlight, chain lube, clear and tinted safety glasses, real paper money for paying a local to haul me to an exit, a few Vicodin, real mechanic rag.

And a tampoon...for the heavy days.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
In my tool tube (misnamed, I guess)
- chain maintenance stuff -- small bottle of DuPont Multi-Use teflon lube, a couple of rags, an old toothbrush for if the chain actually needs cleaning, some nitrile gloves.
- various tie-downs: pair of 54" adjustable Rok straps with soft loop ends, pair of 24" Rok straps with metal hook ends, standard 6-hook stretch web.

Under the seat
- 12v compressor and tire patch kit
- assorted zip ties
- OEM tool kit

In the tank bag
- small but powerful LED flashlight
- tire pressure gauge
- leatherman multi-tool
- extra earplugs
- insect repellent
- small bottle DeFogIt
- small spray bottle of Plexus and microfiber cloth
- pepper spray

In the side cases
- soft case liner bags for grocery shopping, etc.
- the Pelican/Caribou cases have lid locks, but I keep a padlock inside each one (held in place with some industrial strength hook-and-loop, out of the way in one of the top corners) for when I want some extra security.
- cable-style gun lock (from a Glock, also held with velcro) for use as a helmet lock

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

1. compressor (with case split to make thinner)
2. tire patches, gorilla tape
3. pen drive with manual and parts fiche on board (plus pertinent threads and info)
4. small auto-ranging DMM
5. jumper kit and electrical tape
6. credit-card sized multi-tool
7. fuzes
8. electrical connectors
9. mechanics wire (stainless steel)
10. hose clamps
11. duct tape section (16" round)
12. disposable funnels
13. 3w LED headlamp and 5w Cree torch
14. nitrile gloves
15. tire guage
16. tow strap and nite-ize ring.
17. hot hands (in case grip heaters fail)
18. zip ties
19. ratcheting wrenches
20. allen wrenches
21. sockets and drivers, also spare bolts and quiksteel.
22. tire repair tools and strings (above that emory cloth)

That's my touring kit.

Just realized, I left out the most important tool of all...a good set of vice-grips (they were under the seat).

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys, the pics are especially helpful. Where can I find a compressor that fits under the seat?

Tire repair kit, A wet microfibre cloth (in a bag) as well as a dry one. Extra earplugs. Depending on the time of year, one or two extra layers of clothes that can go on top (My old frogg toggs jacket and/or a heavy ski/fleece kind of jacket. Extra gloves (warmer and colder weather) as well as my Aerostitch triple digit overgloves (for rain). An extra flashlight (a windup one) to complment the really cool one that 568V8 got me that fits on the handlebars and is very handy if stopped in the middle of nowhere in the dark. I have two kinds of tie downs.. the web kind and a set of ROC straps. (Both work well depending on what I need to carry) as well as a little reuseable shopping bag in case I pick up some groceries on the way home. I also have a sidestand pad for stopping in soft ground.

Factory tools plus leatherman multi-tool, compressor, manuals for the bike all fit under the seat.

If on day rides I'll add some water and chain lube (I lube after every gas fillup.)

..Tom
Good grief, do you still have any room to pack for a road trip? :confused: :green_lol:

Well , when I read the title, I was going to say .... a 45.
I worded it that way on purpose. I've got a 9mm myself.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Tell us about that case lid organizer!
They're unintentionally awesome, those panniers are Kinetics ABS cases originally for medical equipment (.mil stuff, I suspect, as the cases are DOD stamped). I found them locally for cheap. The cool thing is the outer lids have those organizers in them...they're perfect for tools and stuff. The inner case had foam glued in, which I removed and bed-linered the interiors.

I imagine they can be bought somewhere, I haven't really looked.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, the pics are especially helpful. Where can I find a compressor that fits under the seat?
Good grief, do you still have any room to pack for a road trip? :confused: :green_lol:
I got an AIRMAN from Canadian Tire. That might not help you if you aren't in Canada (putting your location on your profile would be very helpful) but I'm sure they are available elsewhere. Also under my seat is an Blue Seas Fusebox and an Autocom Avi-Pro communications hub.

As far as how much room, in addition to all I mentioned previously tonight I bought home an 18 pack of bottles of beer and also strapped a case of 24 of beer bottles on the back seat. There was still room in my GIVI 52 litre topcase.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Nice swingset. The only thing I would add not mentioned is JB Weld
I have some quiksteel, which I've used with equal success. I had to use it not terribly long ago to get home after I broke a throttle cable on my trail bike...did the "Bend and L into the break on both sides and mold a connector" trick. I was skeptical it would hold, but it got me back to the truck just fine. Cool stuff.

BTW, a ball-cable section off of an old cable is something I always carry on the trail bike for this very reason, I'm gonna add it to the strom since it's tiny and could be useful...obviously useless on the hydro clutch side but if I snap a throttle cable could work. I usually end up using my stuff to help other people out....because Stroms don't break.

:biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts