StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 07 wee abs that my partner and i are going to ride from australia to england at the end of the year. one of the problems that i suspect we will run in to is that neither of us have any knowledge around how to fix bikes - so we're slowly learning how to service it properly etc.

one thing that i am expecting to have to do is mess around with the fuel/air mix as we hit high altitiudes (we're likely going through tibet and various other high places). i was hoping folk on this site might be able to point me towards what (and how) i need to do to keep the bike happy at height? any info on how the bike will 'tell' us that it is ready for an air/fuel mix change thing would also be great....:confused:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yep, expect to lose about 1% of power per 100 meters of elevation due to the lower oxygen content in the air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha! see what i mean when i say i have no idea when it comes to fixing bikes!

that's great news! :hurray:

i'll still be ok even if i'm 5,500m?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I don't know about that high, but I have been to 11,000ft (3300m) and didn't notice any difference in performance. I'm sure there was some loss in power but not enough for me to notice.

Sound like a great trip, good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've taken my carbed and severely underpowered Ural north of 12k feet without much trouble (aside from the power loss), I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with the Vee :).

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
i'll still be ok even if i'm 5,500m?
That's 4000 feet higher than me and my 650 has been. The bike handled it better than I did.
If PTRider is correct, the 650 would only have ~10hp at that altitude.

Take some oxygen (for you, not the bike).

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
no problems

I've ridden my 2007 Vee at sea level and up to 12,000ft; and when necessary have used farm gas with octane as low as 83 and never had any issues.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I think you should have lots of preparations etc. but I would not worry about mixture.

I would do the external fuel mod and carry a spare filter

I as a human being begin to get headaches and a little nausea when I am above 10,000 feet for a few days

I am jealous

I would say if you can find a good mechanic to come along and prep the bikes and spares it would be smart

·
Registered
317 Posts
Its hard for any of us in North America to give you accurate information on how the bike will handle at 5500m (18,044ft) since our highest passes in CO are just over 14kft (4267m). I've been up Mt Evans & Pike's Peak (both near 14k ft) a couple times and other then reduced power, the Vee & Wee both handled it fine. You are going another 4k ft above that and a lot could change in that altitude.

It should handle it fine though. Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts