StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there has to be a less costly and more available product that wont damage the plexiglass of face shields and windscreens. what do you use?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Less costly than what? The following work quite well:

A damp towel/cloth, followed by a dry one.
Soapy water.
Lemon Pledge
Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner
Plexus

I use the Honda stuff - find it cleans well and buffs up to shine easily. Plexus is better for leaving a non-staticky finish, and filling micro scratches. Some people swear by Pledge, and it's certainly cheaper than the latter two.

·
Registered
22,321 Posts
I use Rain-X brand De-Icer windshield wash fluid, its orange in color, $2.99/gal @ Walmart, I keep a small pump spray bottle that holds about 2-3 oz and a micro fiber cloth in my kit, the rest of the gallon goes in my jeep, I usually have a gallon or part of a gallon on hand

not only does it clean real well, it leaves a Rain-X coating that keep the rain drops off and helps keep road grime from sticking as well making it easier to clean next time

there are reports that Rain-X will yellow a shield, but that hasn't been my experience, however shields rarely last me more than 2 years anyway

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use Plexus at home and keep Windex ammonia-free wipes in the tankbag.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Meguiars makes a cleaner & a polish. Both are used on airplane windshields. Use the cleaner for everyday cleaning- the polish is slightly more coarse and is used to remove scratches-it also removes scratches in fairings. Both products are available in body shop supply stores. Never use windex!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Walmart brand Lens Cleaner from the eyeglass section is what I use on the road, comes in handy little spritz bottles for a couple bucks. My shield is crystal clear after years of use. The window-grade microfiber towels are the shiznit for this duty.

Lemon pledge at home.

Oh, another trick if it gets really built up with bugs, lay a dripping wet paper towel on the shield for a few minutes to soften up the bugs, they won't scratch or mar the lens if you wipe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Windshield cleaning

I keep a bucket of soapy ( car shampoo of some sort) water handy and soon after I get in from a ride drape a towel wet with this over the windshield sometimes using clothespins to secure. After a 15 minute soak lightly wipe the now softened bugs and dirt off and finish with Plexus.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I clean the helmet shield with the same product I do a windshield. Natures universal and safest solvent....hot water. With a few passes the bug guts soften up and come right off. The price is right. Water won't haze a shield. I am pretty sure its environmentally friendly and it works.

Then a liberal coating of some rain x nock off product.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
pledge

I use pledge, lemon or orange, for both my CeeBailey screen and shield on my helmet. Cleans without scratching, and leave a wonderful citrus scent :) Plus it drives the Harley guys crazy!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
don't leave home without it

Plexus is great.
Bugs and road grunge don't stick, and rain streams away.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's what CalSci provides with their windscreens:
We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid

1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
2 cups = 500ml water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

If you don't want to play home chemist, go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Your OEM windshield is polycarbonate, and is very soft. Once scratched, it's scratched forever. Any abrasive cleaners are no-nos, and will make it worse, creating a haze. Ask me how I know.

Good aftermarket windshields are acrylic; those can be restored with mild abrasive cleaners, and will therefore last much, much longer.

In both cases, avoid anything that will remove oils from the plastic. Cleaners and solvents intended for glass are no-nos.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My self and Randyo are on the same page

I use the BUG STUFF not the Ice stuff but I believe it is VERY similar

I do use the 3m polishing/rubbing compound found at walmart near the auto sanders etc.
when if I think I need to polish out haze.

I am now a devoted fan od microfiber clothes

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
+ whatever on Plexus. Helmet, shield, windshield, front end plastic etc. I use it as a pre-soak, being careful not to rub the bugs in when cleaning it off and then touching up with a light coat and buffing it out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts