StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What CB antenna do you use on your bike?

I have a Firestik and have seen the smaller cell looking antenna's. Anyone use one of these? Its a no ground antenna. Only disadvantage I see is most of these types of antenna's require 17' or so of cable to prevent problems with the signal. Tough to high that much cable.

If that wont work I may replace the one I have with the Firestik Firefly since it smaller than the normal Firestik.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
On the Strom????

I have a Wilson 1000 on my truck...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I prefer 440 FM.

Crystal clear, but you need a license. www.arrl.org

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a walkie talkie type.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yep on the Strom. I am using the J&M CB/intercom/weather radio unit: http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24

Used it for a few years on another bike and am moving it to the Strom.
How does the intercom work on that unit?

Is it an always-on intercom like having an open telephone line?

And the CB overrides the intercom or do they both come on at the same time?

Do you like that intercom arrangement?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the intercom work on that unit?

Is it an always-on intercom like having an open telephone line?

And the CB overrides the intercom or do they both come on at the same time?

Do you like that intercom arrangement?
Intercom is VOX and works really well for us. CB overides music and I don't remember if it overides the intercom. Soon as I finish my install I'll test it again.

The unit comes with a push to talk button if your passenger wants to use the CB. I never installed it. We just cruise and listen to music and if we talk it overrides the music. I usually have the cb squelch turned down so we get no interruption of tunes or intercom. If I need to use the CB I increase the squelch.

I also like that each component has its own independent volume control.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Intercom is VOX and works really well for us. CB overides music and I don't remember if it overides the intercom. Soon as I finish my install I'll test it again.

The unit comes with a push to talk button if your passenger wants to use the CB. I never installed it. We just cruise and listen to music and if we talk it overrides the music. I usually have the cb squelch turned down so we get no interruption of tunes or intercom. If I need to use the CB I increase the squelch.

I also like that each component has its own independent volume control.
Thanks Tray, that is very helpful.

"One" more question please. Is the CB ever useful to a rider? Does any useful traffic information come over the CB like traffic problems or accidents? Any useful enforcement information, like speed traps? And what do truckers talk about anyway :mrgreen:?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

"One" more question please. Is the CB ever useful to a rider? Does any useful traffic information come over the CB like traffic problems or accidents? Any useful enforcement information, like speed traps? And what do truckers talk about anyway :mrgreen:?
Glad I could help! I use the CB to talk with truckers to get info on speedtraps, road conditions, accidents, etc....

I originally got it because several of us who ride together had CB's. I like the unit better than having to get an device like an autocom, starcom, etc... and then add a FRS radio or seperate CB unit. You'd be suprised what truckers talk about. Very entertaining! Sometimes I just listen to them instead of the radio!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

It's useful to me as a driver (non-commercial).

Enforcement info, traffic info, directions, etc.

'Course, I only installed it because I like to tinker with stuff, and it was one more gadget to mess around with. I could absolutely do without it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too favor 440 MHz and 146 MHz, ham bands.

A single band ham radio is tiny, and a dual band handheld is even smaller.

Most units have weather check features, can communicate through repeaters, and even place phone calls when repeaters have phone patch capability.

KRS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts