StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What Can Cause a MC Stator, Regulator Rectifier to Go Bad? the number one reason is heat. as per over heated engine oil due to detonation. Tip: see n how v-strom got 11.3:1 CR, its a good idea to always use regular automotive grade fuel with the highest AKI #. for example, i use 91 or higher R+M/2 octane fuel and, ive never had a Stator, regulator rectifier problem so far with 85,000 miles showing on the clock.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
None of those variables have anything to do with R/R life. It is mounted outside the engine. Higher octane does not run cooler either although detonation can cause combustion chamber damage. A properly working V-Strom engine does not detonate on 87 octane (R+M)/2.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
.. but, the R/R is not physically attached to the engine and is connected to the bike via electrical wiring, not plumbing... Engine heat (especially from a Strom) would have very little or marginal effect on the R/R's own temp... They burn up from electrical issues like bad grounding (battery connections) or diode burnout from excessive battery drain.. Maybe even a bad stator too... Use 87 octane and save your money my friend...

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
excess energy is NOT turned to heat?

its an electronic regulator - it should be switching things the circuitry off and on as needed to supply an "average" electrical output (the battery smooths out the small spikes)

just like in a car

·
38,104 Posts
Nope. A car has an electromagnetic coil creating the magnetic field so the alternator can respond to the needs of the system by varying the level of the magnetic field. Our bikes have the magnetic field created by non variable permanent magnets and controlled by an SCR rectifier. Any excess is shunted to ground and the resultant heat carried away by the cooling fins on the R/R.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
On vintage Suzukis, the number one root cause of R/R and stator death (and many other electrical woes besides) is crappy undersized, unprotected connectors.

The same applies to V-Stroms as well -- to this day, Suzuki has a bad habit of cheaping out on electrical connectors. Water gets in, corrosion begins, resistance goes up, the connector starts to get hotter and hotter, which stresses the related components...

When I got my 2002 home in 2009, I caught several connectors where these problems were starting. After thorough cleaning, I treated each with dielectric grease, and I check them every year or two. The stator connectors carry a lot of current, so these either get replaced with quality spade connectors or examined carefully for proper connection.

The headlight connector is another common trouble area. The nine-pin unsealed connector feeding the lights and turn signals up front is intended only for low current, but Suzuki stuffed the three headlight wires carrying 10+ amps into one corner of the connector... losing your headlights suddenly thanks to the poor decisions of some bastard yen-pinching accountant in Hamamatsu is great fun... :headbang:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Heat and lack of airflow...the RR on my 03 Vee is located under the left rear plastic cowl...it conveniently bakes itself to death...about 10k miles ago I installed a (fused) small 12V fan (from a older computer processor fan) and so far it works great, no issues through rain and such. I can hear a little swooosh sound anytime I turn the ignition on, so I know it's still working.

Other bikes have placed the RR in positions which provide greater airflow, the F800gs has it on the right side, ugly placement, but functional...The Tenere actually has a dedicated airflow path on the front right side of the cowling, just for the RR cooling.

Keep em cool, and they'll last long enough.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
Electrical death isn't confined to the Wee's and Vees. A popular German brand has a long history of Charging system failures, Diode boards, regulators, stators. I've bought plenty over the years.
Frequently aftermarket makers or inventive private folks find the better answer to the problems and the fix becomes known.
If a manufacture can make a part for 2 cents less, they do. Can you say factory recall?

·
Registered
166 Posts
On vintage Suzukis, the number one root cause of R/R and stator death (and many other electrical woes besides) is crappy undersized, unprotected connectors.

The same applies to V-Stroms as well -- to this day, Suzuki has a bad habit of cheaping out on electrical connectors. Water gets in, corrosion begins, resistance goes up, the connector starts to get hotter and hotter, which stresses the related components...

When I got my 2002 home in 2009, I caught several connectors where these problems were starting. After thorough cleaning, I treated each with dielectric grease, and I check them every year or two. The stator connectors carry a lot of current, so these either get replaced with quality spade connectors or examined carefully for proper connection.

The headlight connector is another common trouble area. The nine-pin unsealed connector feeding the lights and turn signals up front is intended only for low current, but Suzuki stuffed the three headlight wires carrying 10+ amps into one corner of the connector... losing your headlights suddenly thanks to the poor decisions of some bastard yen-pinching accountant in Hamamatsu is great fun... :headbang:
Have to agree with this one, had my Headlight connectors replaced 2 weeks ago, for exactly this reason.

·
38,104 Posts
Headlight relays and fork braces are top modifications.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wasn't for the "infamous" starter button burnout Greywolf, was actually the Low Beam connection, at the 9 pin connector behind the radiator.

Connection had burned out, so the wire has now been isolated from the 9 pin block and now has it's own separate, heavier duty spade connectors.

Haven't done the Relay Mod yet, however, having had to replace the starter button, and wiring about 12 months ago, I'm looking into it, to make sure that that issue does not re-occur.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
This thread is hilarious.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
What Can Cause a Regulator Rectifier to Go Bad? | eHow.com

After 6 years, my OEM battery is not turning over the engine with the save vigor that it used to.
Still does the job, though.

Maybe as I drive more, it will improve, but I should check for 13volts < charging rate < 17volts to avoid buring out the regulator/rectifier.

Might be best to change out the battery before it causes the R/R to burn out ?

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
None of those variables have anything to do with R/R life. It is mounted outside the engine. Higher octane does not run cooler either although detonation can cause combustion chamber damage. A properly working V-Strom engine does not detonate on 87 octane (R+M)/2.
sorry i miss lead you. i meant to say that, overheated engine oil can fry a stator. bad stator can burn out R/R. and that detonation is one way to overheat engine oil. after all, detonation can cause extreme pressure and heat. to the point of melting spark plugs and or piston. so im pretty sure it can overheat engine oil and possible stator damage.

·
38,104 Posts
Detonation is extremely rare, noticeable, and can damage the combustion chamber. If it does add heat, the cooling system can handle that. You are way off base.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts