StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on riding pants. I have been looking at the different brands and styles available and I just do not know what ones to purchase. I am curious what you are wearing and why you like or don't like them.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Fieldsheer Four Seasons

I have a pair of these that I bought primarily for summertime, as they seemed to have both a large amount of mesh and were available in a color besides black - both important for coolness (of the temperature variety, anyway. I think I'm past the hip variety!)

http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/product/fourseasonM.htm

They're very comfy in the heat; when combined with wicking shorts and underwear I've been able to tolerate low 90s and high humidity for a 200 mile ride.

I haven't ridden with the liner yet, so I can't tell you about their cold-weather performance. But the liner fits well, even over jeans.

It took me awhile to figure out how to adjust the knee/shin guards, which still seem a bit small in width for my knobby knees. But there is a height adjustment in the pocket that allowed me to get the guards into the right position when I'm riding.

The sizing seems spot-on for me. I wear a men's 34 pant with a 31" inseam, and the 34 Fieldsheer fits snugly in the waist (with almost no cinching of the waist adjustments), with plenty of room in the hips and thighs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been wearing plain old jeans or my rain pants but just ordered some Tourmaster Venture overpants from newenough.com. They should arrive tomorrow. I was looking for flexibility (over or solo wear) and price, plus Tourmaster stuff seams to fit me well... http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html
They also had a pair of "cargo" style pants that I was close to getting for the pocket space...
I just did the same thing. Mine came yesterday. They're a little snug with the liner as overpants...for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got a pair of FirstGear HT 2.0 overpants. They work really well over jeans. Plenty of ventilation and they come with a liner for the rainy days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
+1

I have a pair of these that I bought primarily for summertime, as they seemed to have both a large amount of mesh and were available in a color besides black - both important for coolness (of the temperature variety, anyway. I think I'm past the hip variety!)

http://www.fieldsheer.com/2007web/web3/product/fourseasonM.htm

They're very comfy in the heat; when combined with wicking shorts and underwear I've been able to tolerate low 90s and high humidity for a 200 mile ride.

I haven't ridden with the liner yet, so I can't tell you about their cold-weather performance. But the liner fits well, even over jeans.

It took me awhile to figure out how to adjust the knee/shin guards, which still seem a bit small in width for my knobby knees. But there is a height adjustment in the pocket that allowed me to get the guards into the right position when I'm riding.

The sizing seems spot-on for me. I wear a men's 34 pant with a 31" inseam, and the 34 Fieldsheer fits snugly in the waist (with almost no cinching of the waist adjustments), with plenty of room in the hips and thighs.
I have Fieldsheer mesh pants as well and have worn them in mid 90's to low 50's (with the liner) along the coast. I like that I can throw the mesh pants on over shorts or jeans and take them off very easily and stow them in my top case when I get to my destination. The quality of both the Fieldsheer pants and the Hi-Temp mesh jacket is outstanding and I would buy them again without hesitation.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I started with Tourmaster Venture overpants. I went down in them at 30mph and the have a slight rub mark on the knee. They held up great and I'm keeping them a backup pants.
I changed over to motoport air mesh Kevlar being I commute. The motoport are cooler, easier to get in/out of and should be safer.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Motoport kevlar air mesh pants. Without the liners they are good from 50ish-100F, and with liners they are good down till 30f (assuming heated gear on the rest of the body). Very durable, totally waterproof, and the protective qualities are very good compared to lower end pants. They also have a 7 year warranty, and can be repaired in the event of any incidents. A little funny looking, but built like a tank, and very practical for everything except stuffing them into small places :)

Before that I had a pair of Joe rocket alter ego pants, which were nice, and also totally waterproof. Pretty cool with the vents zipped open too. However after seeing a guy burn through the butt in a 30mph slide I knew I had to get something better. For the year I had them though they were nice pants, I just wasn't confident in their ability to protect me at highway speeds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Olympia Airglide - another mesh-with-removable-waterproof-liner option. they work great and are well made. Very similar to the Fieldsheer four seasons. Seems like a lot of BMW dealerships carry the Olympia line, so that might be a place to try some on.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have Fieldsheer mesh pants as well and have worn them in mid 90's to low 50's (with the liner) along the coast. I like that I can throw the mesh pants on over shorts or jeans and take them off very easily and stow them in my top case when I get to my destination. The quality of both the Fieldsheer pants and the Hi-Temp mesh jacket is outstanding and I would buy them again without hesitation.
+1 +1 +1!!!

I have two sets of Fieldsheer - both the Street 2.0 and the Air.Mesh pants that go with my mesh jacket.

With the mesh suit, I can wear shorts and a T shirt in 90*+ temps, strip it off in about 2 min when I get there, and I'm not hot - either on or off the bike. The Street pants are lined (non-removeable) and too hot for summer, but with a pair of long johns or thin sweats perfect for cold weather riding.

It's really hot down south. I see you are in Arizona, so you know hot, too. :p Lots easier to layer up and get warm in the (short) winter than it is to sweat your $#*! off all summer long. I looooove that mesh setup. I'm also a 34" waist with a 31" inseam - the 34's fit like a glove when I'm on the bike. There is even enough room to put them on over a pair of jeans if I wanted to. I'm going to see how cold I can take it with the mesh pants, I might be selling the Street pants if I can get down to the mid-low 40's with the mesh as an overpant.

Really, it doesn't matter which ones you buy. Just the fact that you will be wearing riding pants at all gets a giant +1 from the old Monkey... ;) I've watched 3 friends go down in gravel/parking lots at less than 10 mph and what happened to their knees wasn't pretty at all. So I take the extra 5 minutes and slide on the gear.

You are wise to do the same... :cool:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
When I use them I use Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0

·
Registered
800 Posts
First Gear HT 2 over pants, way to warm, but are nice with the thinsulate liner in the winter. Will be buying the First Gear HT 2.0 Air over pants for the rest of the summer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Around town I'll wear my old black JR Alter Ego pants. They don't look so much like a space suit being black and not bunching at the ankle when standing. They do nearly pull up over my boot tops when riding though. My Olympia Airglide pants in silver for touring or very warm weather are better made. They come all the way down to my ankles when riding and do not heat up from the sun's rays so badly. They also are basically mesh wherever they can be instead of just have the small panels of the JRAE. The JR liner is for rain and wind only while the airglide has a waterproof and insulated liner.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
Aerostich DarienLight. Very hot in 100F+ weather, I can't wear them in Tucson over the summer. Not even on the highway, I sweat too much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Aerostich AD-1 Overpants - good to about 85-90F but you have to keep moving. Waterproof and armored.

Otherwise I wear Jeans with Kevlar knees, seat and thighs when I am riding in the near 100's with high humidity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have about 4000 miles on an Olympia Airglide 2 suit. Excellent for hot weather (removable "waterproof" insulated liner) and it provides above-average protection (knee and hip pads, no polyester fabric, cordura 500). Only problem so far is belt loops pulling out, doesn't look to be a problem in general with the suit.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
FG Mesh pants with zip-in water/windproof liner. They work well in cooler temps, but when it gets warm out, the black color it just too hot. We are thinking of getting the Olympia or Fieldsheer mesh pants as they come in silver, which would much cooler than black pants. The Motoport kevlar mesh pants are very good, but also quite expensive, but if you can afford them, that would be the way to go. I've heard that they will custom make them to fit you, so they ought to easily accommodate a 32" waist and 36" inseam configuration.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts