StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new battery. Are there any suggestions for a battery brand with long life and good value for the money? I see batteries on line for prices ranging from $40 to $100. I imagine the $40 ones are the thing to buy if you're selling the bike, and I'm not sure the $100 battery has good value for the price.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I picked up the Interstate FAYTX12 battery, 9 months ago for about $80.00. So far all is good. I keep this one on a tender, when the bike is inactive.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have no info on quality comparisons, but the following will all fit.

Yuasa YTX-12-BS
Motocross M3RH2S
Delco GTX12-BS
Interstate YTX12-BS
Sears 44016
WalMart ES12BS
Yacht CHT12-BS

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Walmart battery in my Marauder, which is rarely ridden, rarely sees a charge and is never kept on a tender, outlasted the Yuasa that came in my Wee.

One anecdote doesn't exactly constitute a scientific study, I know. For what it's worth, though, I'm happy with the Walmart batteries.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Add the Champion 12-BS to the list of batteries that fit the Wee.

This six year old bike is about to get its third battery. I don't know the treatment the other batteries have received. I'm at least the third owner of this bike, but everything else on it works great.

I dislike shopping at Wal*Mart, but their auto batteries have been getting top rankings in "Consumer Reports." Their batteries are made by Exide, one of the two huge U.S. battery makers--Johnson Controls is the other.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Walmart battery in my Marauder, which is rarely ridden, rarely sees a charge and is never kept on a tender, outlasted the Yuasa that came in my Wee.

One anecdote doesn't exactly constitute a scientific study, I know. For what it's worth, though, I'm happy with the Walmart batteries.
Do you recall the price on the WalMart battery? Local dealer wants $80.00 for the same Yuasa (?) that the bike ships with. I was wondering if walmart was significantly less.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a stock Yuasa Super MF Pafecta which came on my KTM dual-sport bike. It lasted 7 years and never had to be battery tended. For the price (it was $ 85 for a new one) I thought that was an excellent deal for 7 years of service, so I replaced with the same.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I love my battery tenders. I get a minimum of 6 years out of my batteries. If I double the life of one of my batteries then it has been worth it. I think my last battery ran me $56 from standard batteries.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I believe the WallyWorld battery is $65-ish. It's a sealed battery like the OEM Yuasa -- you add acid, give it an initial charge, and then tap the seal in permanently.

I've never had a problem with a Walmart battery either, and I have had expensive Yuasas die for no reason.

More importantly, you can obtain a Wallyworld battery 24/7 in just about any podunk town with more than one traffic light. I hate going into the place too, but they've saved more than one trip.

Good cheap rainsuits back in the fishing section, too... :thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I dislike shopping at Wal*Mart, but their auto batteries have been getting top rankings in "Consumer Reports." Their batteries are made by Exide, one of the two huge U.S. battery makers--Johnson Controls is the other.
It may depend on the size, or who is the current low bidder, but both the group 49 car battery for the Benz, and the battery I bought for the Wee (both purchaced last November) were Johnson Control made in the USA.

I have had good luck with Walmart batteries in the past. The battery that came out of the diesel Benz was from Walmart (dated 1998... 11 years old!), and I got almost 6 years out of one of their MC batteries in my old PC800 before a failed stator killed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts