StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not after but have a 2006 FJR that I have had since new. Three weeks ago I rented a HD Street Glide Special. After 3 hours of riding in the mountains of TN I decided to make the purchase and now I have added that to my garage. In the last 10 years or so I have also had a Honda CB-1000, CB-1000 RR, Ducati 900 Monster, and a Honda CB-1100F. The only thing they all have in common is 2 wheels. But then variety is what makes life interesting.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Just before and while acquiring the Strom, I owned a 2006 Triumph Sprint ST. I no longer have a bike, but when/if I get another, I suspect it would be another ADV style bike. I like sport bikes too, but couldn't really justify a purchase like that.

Ultimately, I'd love an 800 -1000 cc bike with a shaft drive, luggage capable and 500 pound wet. If money were no concern, of what is on the market now, I'd probably get a BMW GS

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
just curious what other bikes people moved to after the V-Strom?
The thread title asks what we had before the Strom. Make up your mind! >:)

Before the Strom I had Honda CBR1000F

and after (currently), a Yamaha XJR1300 (the blue bike in the pic with, obviously, the Strom behind it - the Honda in front was my wife's CB400ABS).

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I'd love an 800 -1000 cc bike with a shaft drive, luggage capable and 500 pound wet.
when you find one let me know.
CLosest I've got is the CBF1000 which covers all bases but the shaft drive.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I have a friend with the sprint right now - all kinds of gas/carb/fuel line issues. He doesn't ride it enough.
Somewhat unusual. Spints typically had some bad rectifiers and a small percentage had some engine problems, but most were reasonably reliable well into high mileage. The bike overall had tons of character and was a blast to ride. The engine was great.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
when you find one let me know.
CLosest I've got is the CBF1000 which covers all bases but the shaft drive.

I was referring to a balanced, do everything kind of bike like a GS or similar, only lighter. There are some great bikes in the category, but none have a shaft drive that are smaller and lighter.

On the sport side, the R1200rs is the closest. I like it, but it's a sport-tour.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

1981 Z550G1 (GT550)
Solid and reliable. Had two of them. Still miss the ol' girl.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Before the V-Strom, I had ridden an '04 Harley Road King for about 10 years. I only had the V-Strom for two years, then traded it in on a Yamaha Super Tenere. It meets most of the criteria you're looking for sans the 500 pound max weight; it dresses out at about 575 lbs, without accessories. I've put 26,000 miles on mine so far, touring all the way from Nebraska to Maine, and couldn't be more pleased with a bike.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
2003 EX250 Ninjette

2003 EX250 Ninjette

1 - 20 of 96 Posts