StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us in areas with snow, what are your winter projects going to be once you store (or greatly reduce the amount of riding) your bike for the winter?

I have some electrical work to do -- installing a powerlet outlet, a fuse block and Stebel horn. I've got some new handle bars to mount and I'm going to install new springs and fork oil up front.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I think I'll be adding some crash guards and custom graphics over the winter months.

My other winter project will be setting up the pool table that my dad picked up for me at an auction last week. 7/8" 3-piece slate top...table is probably 40-50 years old and has seem better days. No one else bid on it, so he got it for $45 :). So even after replacing the felt, I'll have a pool table for under $200. Can't beat that.

Reactions: Branch

·
Registered
483 Posts
My winter projects are actually projects that need to happen BEFORE winter arrives, so I can ride the bike longer! BlueSeas fuse box goes in this weekend, so I can wire up my heated grips and vest.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Winter projects this year are plenty. I am going to replace the leaking valve cover seals on my mothers Yamaha and install the after market lighting she got. Also got fix some rusts on the frame thats just starting.

For my bike i gotta install a throttle lock, get a gps and mount it, Sort out some LONG distance comfort solution, and due to gps research probably gona need to wire in a power plug (i did not want to for apperance reasons but looks as though im gona need too). Also want to get a new lid as my Modular flip up is NOISY as hell swapped to my old regular full face lid and missed how quite it was and seemed to buffet less.

The only comfort problem i currently suffer (I have the suzuki Gell seat)is after about 500kms in the seat my rear is hurting. Im gona try getting a seat pad and see how that goes. Hoping to find a solution good for 1000kms days 4 days in a row as thats what id need to pull off too go riding with my brother in BC next summer.

·
0 Posts
Suspension Fr and Rr. , Steering Stabilizer, some sort of power outlet, and GPS.

·
Registered
334 Posts
corbin saddle, advmotostuff bashguard, those f'ing KTM superduke mirrors if they ever come, and, if money and time permit, a set of touratech zega's (the big ones) mounted. perhaps a set of bar risers.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
New chain & sprockets, maybe Sonic springs, 15 wt fork oil & new seals, maybe a 52L Givi topcase, Metzler Tourance EXPs & plan the Rockies trip next July.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may sound really crazy to some but I really enjoy hunting and the outdoors. I bought a used dl1k strom and it has been kept outside so the paint is oxidized/faded a little. I am going to vinyl wrap my bodywork with camoclad which is a camoflage adhesive.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
Just been working on my winter stuff, getting ready to do some car travel with the wife. So far I've replaced oil & filter, 4 spark plugs, did a major throttle cable adj, changed the air filter, pulled the clutch cover and cleaned everything, cleaned the chain & adj, lubed everything it tells you to. Getting ready to wash & wax. :D

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Time to finally do the valve clearance check. ( I really had not expected the riding season to last this long)
I have a couple of Mermite cans I am going to turn into side cases so I'm looking at some ways to mount them. Can't yet decide how to paint them.
I might just spring for a center stand.
I have a new GPS unit that needs a mount.
I will probably take most of the bike a part and give it a good cleaning while I am at it.

I also have a kayak kit that needs to be built but that will take up most of my workshop and quite a bit of my time.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I'm thinking about making a set of sidecases using Pelican 1550s and the SW-Motech racks. After a short camping trip to Wisconsin, I can see that my Cortech softbags are just a few liters short of enough space for a solo trip longer than 3 -4 days, and I really am getting convinced that hard side cases can be a safety feature.

That and adding a thermometer, so I can tell if I'm supposed to be freezing when riding here in the winter!

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Winter Projects

Here is a list of what I would like to get done. The $$ looks do able. The only problem is I also have 4 four wheelers that all need a good going over and a few parts as well. May be a long winter in the garage! At least the BEER fridge, radio and heat work. :mrgreen:

1.) Sonic front springs
2.) Flush and replace fork oil
3.) Hard side cases
4.) Remove swing arm and grease needle bearings
5.) Install iradium plugs
6.) Bash/skid plate
7.) GPS and mount
8.) Accessory plugs
9.) Seat rework
10.) Front fender mud flap/fender extender
11.) Fork brace
12) Modify rear wheel spacers like the master's

·
I'll be back
623 Posts
Winter plans? I don't need no stinking winter plans!

HA HA HA HAAAA! Gonna keep on riding! No snow here...unless you choose to ride into the mountains. Must absolutely blow to have to quit riding every year. Seriously tho'...

I ordered a tall Parabellum and Madstad (finally) I have to do something to keep the rain from blowing off the top of my shorty shield and soaking my neck and shoulders. (Found that out in the first good rain out here in the Pac. NW. I was soaked between the clavicles and helmet) Those Florida guys must have it made

Have fun with your projects everyone.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HA HA HA HAAAA! Gonna keep on riding! No snow here...unless you choose to ride into the mountains. Must absolutely blow to have to quit riding every year. Seriously tho'...
I'm surprised it took so long to get a response like this! :) I usually ride into December and a couple times in January and February. The cop who pulled me over this morning on the way to work was wondering why I was still riding when the morning temps are in the low 30s.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I'm surprised it took so long to get a response like this! :) I usually ride into December and a couple times in January and February. The cop who pulled me over this morning on the way to work was wondering why I was still riding when the morning temps are in the low 30s.
I didn't know this was a quit riding thread. I posted my winter projects that needed to be done. I ride off and on all winter if it's dry and not to cold and I'm home.

·
I'll be back
623 Posts
I'm surprised it took so long to get a response like this! :)
Good for you Mr. Bell... That's hard core. I was just trying to have fun. No offense intended. Watch out for that black ice man. Riding with the temp in the low 30's... cool

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good for you Mr. Bell... That's hard core. I was just trying to have fun. No offense intended. Watch out for that black ice man. Riding with the temp in the low 30's... cool
No offense taken:) With the proper gear, 20s and 30s are no problem. You're right about the ice, though.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
It was below freezing when I started riding in April this year and it has been below freezing fairly often this month. I keep riding partly because I love it and partly because at 60 MPG vs the 17-18 for my SUV, the Strom is paying its way big time. I draw the line at riding the Strom on snow or ice covered highways though.
The damn forecast for today says snow flurries. I noticed that after I got to work of course.

I almost look forward to winter and being able to strip down the bike for a project and not having to worry about it being ready for the Monday commute.

In addition to the projects I mentioned in a previous post I think my first project will be to redo my shop so it is more useful and more efficient. That includes putting in a different heater and a bigger door so I can get my new Honda ATV inside to work on it. Hmmm if it is on an ATV is it still a farkle? Oh and of course some new tools!!! *insert best Tim Allen noise here*

1 - 20 of 38 Posts