1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
255 Posts
does the seat really have the option to be set as low or high? I didnt think it did

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
does the seat really have the option to be set as low or high? I didnt think it did
I do not know - but listen to the first video on that page (MotoUSA) at time stamp 0:54 "High and low seats options are available"
Not sure if it means a setting, or different seats.
It is probably a different seat.

I will remove this 'feature' from the Wiki.
Now you know why I need help - I don't have the bike..

EDIT: My bad, "A selection of seat heights is nice, but I’d prefer one seat that includes built-in height adjustments like Triumph’s 800 Tigers"
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2012-suzuki-vstrom-650-abs-review-first-ride-91171.html
I prepared that list quickly and misunderstood the video

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please come up with a correct and full list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seat

In the U.K the seat height is altered by replacing the complete seat, they offer high & low seats as aftermarket cost in U.K is about £140. I was considering the low option, as I get my 2012 650 Strom on 1st July, but have decided to try the standard seat first.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can google, thanks - but what I'm asking for is an ordered set of features preferably from someone that has the 2012 DL650.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can google, thanks - but what I'm asking for is an ordered set of features preferably from someone that has the 2012 DL650.
In addition to the improved power band of the new motor, it is also much smoother and quieter, with less internal engine noise present.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
As of this writing I have almost 17,000 km on my NewStrom, or roughly 10,500 miles.

Things I noticed comparing my 2006 DL650 (OldStrom) with my 2012 DL650 (NewStrom.)

-Less mechanical noise
-lighter clutch lever (actuating system is simpler and more effective on NewStrom)
-more effective brakes. Don't know why, but the brakes feel much more powerful front and back than the 2006 with EBC HH pads.
-better suspension, so much so that I won't be changing the stock suspension. Front and rear spring rates seem much higher so that I don’t use full pre-load
-Motor seems to have better throttle management. Less jerky at low speeds
-motor pretty much vibrates the same as old, which is to say not much
-when stock the Newstrom is more stable at speed than Stock Oldstrom
-more mid-range power
-more power everywhere
-noticeably better fuel mileage
-smaller fuel tank but for me better range in normal riding
-slightly different ergos. Hard for me to say exactly as my Oldstrom had different seat (Corbin) and Handlebars
-Stock seat is more comfy on NewStrom than Oldstrom, but my butt requires better (Corbin coming!)
-Wind buffeting is much better on new than old, but I still got a Madstad
-speedo error is about the same as stock was on 2006, but isn't as easy to change as is digital
-really love the trip computer functions and digital dash. It took me a while to get used to the digital speed readout but am fine with it now. Love the fuel mileage readouts (which for me are consistently off by about 8%.) Love the thermometer.
-headlights are as effective as old when adjusted properly (it seems many never have their headlights adjusted properly.)
-pass to flash works differently. What was old pass-to-flash now toggles display on trip computer, with flash to pass on headlight switch
-water based oil cooler heats oil faster on cold starts and should provide more stable oil temps
-I didn't have ABS previously, but can't see any negatives to the system in the 2012 DL650 (and I am often on gravel roads but not trails.)
-The fit and finish is much better on new than old. It feels like a much higher quality bike
-it is slightly less ugly than old.

-I don't like the turn signal switch on NewStrom as much as the OldStrom It doesn't feel as natural to me.
-I seem to accidentally trigger the high beam on occasion. The High Beam switch is a bit different and that seems to trip me up.
-The High Beam indicator is quite bright. I hated it at the beginning but don't seem to notice it now.
-taking the Plastic Fairing parts off is more difficult on NewStrom than Oldstrom. I think this is a side effect of making it look more finished.

That's what quickly comes to mind, if I think of something else I'll post.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of this writing I have almost 17,000 km on my NewStrom, or roughly 10,500 miles.

Things I noticed comparing my 2006 DL650 (OldStrom) with my 2012 DL650 (NewStrom.)

-Less mechanical noise
-lighter clutch lever (actuating system is simpler and more effective on NewStrom)
-more effective brakes. Don't know why, but the brakes feel much more powerful front and back than the 2006 with EBC HH pads.
-better suspension, so much so that I won't be changing the stock suspension. Front and rear spring rates seem much higher so that I don’t use full pre-load
-Motor seems to have better throttle management. Less jerky at low speeds
-motor pretty much vibrates the same as old, which is to say not much
-when stock the Newstrom is more stable at speed than Stock Oldstrom
-more mid-range power
-more power everywhere
-noticeably better fuel mileage
-smaller fuel tank but for me better range in normal riding
-slightly different ergos. Hard for me to say exactly as my Oldstrom had different seat (Corbin) and Handlebars
-Stock seat is more comfy on NewStrom than Oldstrom, but my butt requires better (Corbin coming!)
-Wind buffeting is much better on new than old, but I still got a Madstad
-speedo error is about the same as stock was on 2006, but isn't as easy to change as is digital
-really love the trip computer functions and digital dash. It took me a while to get used to the digital speed readout but am fine with it now. Love the fuel mileage readouts (which for me are consistently off by about 8%.) Love the thermometer.
-headlights are as effective as old when adjusted properly (it seems many never have their headlights adjusted properly.)
-pass to flash works differently. What was old pass-to-flash now toggles display on trip computer, with flash to pass on headlight switch
-water based oil cooler heats oil faster on cold starts and should provide more stable oil temps
-I didn't have ABS previously, but can't see any negatives to the system in the 2012 DL650 (and I am often on gravel roads but not trails.)
-The fit and finish is much better on new than old. It feels like a much higher quality bike
-it is slightly less ugly than old.

-I don't like the turn signal switch on NewStrom as much as the OldStrom It doesn't feel as natural to me.
-I seem to accidentally trigger the high beam on occasion. The High Beam switch is a bit different and that seems to trip me up.
-The High Beam indicator is quite bright. I hated it at the beginning but don't seem to notice it now.
-taking the Plastic Fairing parts off is more difficult on NewStrom than Oldstrom. I think this is a side effect of making it look more finished.

That's what quickly comes to mind, if I think of something else I'll post.

..Tom
Thanks!

I also find this article:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012MayDL650.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts