StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone comfortable recommending a particular brand and model of helmet for a year-round VStrom rider? In addition to safety, I am interested in areodynamics and helmet noise at high speeds.

While cruising about 80 mph on HW 5 in the California central valley today, I took a big ole' bug right into my helmet visor. I couldn't see anything, so I lifted my visor completely up instead of just cracking it open for more air flow. The deafening noise that I was putting up with almost completely disappeared, instantly!

It is rather incredulous to think the solution to helmet noise at high speeds might be a different helmet!

Like many I have played with the positioning of the windshield on my '05 DL1000 because I do get a lot of helmet noise and some helmet buffeting when I am riding at 75 mph or higher (according to the factory speedo). I played with the stock shield and the Suzuki "taller" shield, but achieved no great improvement with regards to noise. Buffeting is less of an issue for me because I am only 5'7" tall.

I have one of the better KBC full-face helmets. I used top-of-the-line Shoei helmets years ago, but got sticker shock when I looked at them last year. I can't remember if the Shoei were quiet.

Anyone have any knowledge of any helmet performances?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have you ever tried earplugs? They are about the best solution I have come up with, short of finding a retailer that will let you test ride helmets. My helmet is the loudest I have ever owned, while another member finds it the quietest.
I think the different helmets are more of a head shape issue, in my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just upgraded from a EJC C14 full face to a Shoei RF1000 full face and there is just a tremendous difference - better fit - better airflow - and much less noise.

I picked up the RF1000 for about $320 - pretty pricey but as much as I ride it is worth it easily...

Good luck,
Brian

K

·
0 Posts
I'm very impressed with the Shoei X-11 and the Arai Corsair, but I don't buy Arai any longer due to their sales policies. I like Shoei's shield system better anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
What works for one does not work for all. Have two helmets and one is very quiet with sheild flipped up. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
water warrior said:
What works for one does not work for all. Have two helmets and one is very quiet with sheild flipped up. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.
Last week I putting along with my shield open (for venting on a muggy day and to see as I just picked up a monster of a bug) and caught a bug to side of my eye. I was wearing glasses but the only I could think of was "there's a damn bee stuck in my lid" Panic, panic, panic. Dug out the bug that was buzzing on the side of face and stopped to clean my visor.

My TZ-1 is also quiet with the visor up.

You might want to look into a Aria XD.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have the KBC FFR Modular and I really like it but it was a little loud when I first got it. The face shield hinge point position is adjustable. I learned this on my previous KBC Vision Full Face. The shield sealed to the helmet opening but it was very loud and I noticed that on the left side, when fully closed the side of shield was not flush with the inset in the side of the helmet. I adjusted it and cut the noise by at lest 75% (estimated as I don't have a decibel meter). Anyway, just a thought.

K

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned a shoei, arai, AGV, and HJC in recent times. The quietest helment is the one that fits! Much of the noise comes under the bottom of helmet. Some are a little quieter around the shield area (my Arai is fairly good) but I ALWAYS wear earplugs at speed.

Many spend their time and money searching for a perfect windshield, and they are out there, but I personally don't like to have a slab of plywood on the front of may bike. I learned this by finally owning a sportbike (SV1000) and realizing it had the quietest screen I ever owned! Now I go for the lower screens and my head in cleaner air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts