StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is likely very simple to many and has probably been covered before, but I couldn't find it. I've never come across an occassion to do any electrical wiring - on anything - but I'd like to add a 12v outlet to the Strom. Nothing fancy, just want to run an air compressor if I get a flat or charge my phone, so I guess I'd wire it directly to my battery and keep it under the seat until I actually need it. Others have recommended getting a simple 12v outlet from Radioshack for about $10, so I plan to do that this weekend.... but then what? Can someone please describe the basic steps of how to hook one up to the battery and how to ground it? Or perhaps you know where on the WWW such a procedure is already documented?

Thanks folks.
~Geoff

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I did the Radio shack thing. Red wire to the Positive nub, black to the Negative and your are done except as to where to mount the 12v Receiver.
I have mind up near the front of the triple trees. Easy to access.
I use it for my under seat Air Compressor, GPS and Phone!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it would be a simple thing... I just have a tendency to ask a lot of questions before I do something.

Thanks for the scoop!
~Geoff

·
Registered
192 Posts
I forget now where I saw it, probably somewhere in this forum, but there is a neat 12V receptacle you can buy that fits right into the hole in the steering stem. Seems like a perfect place for it and gives a nice, clean look.

Soldered connections will withstand vibration better. Trust me on this one. I have many years of experience restoring old British bikes, and only an old Harley will vibrate more than them.

If you put it up near the front, don't be thempted to run a shorter ground wire to the frame. Not a good thing with an aluminum frame. Run ground wires back to the battery.

Bob

·
Registered
355 Posts
The v-strom frame isn't grounded. I found that out the hard way, and had it confirmed by a couple of people.

Here is an accessory plug. Not quite in the steering stem, but close.

I use jacks from Powerlet Products. They are the BMW style plug. You can also get them from John Deere, but Powerlet has good prices and a solid plug.

All my wiring pics:
http://perljam.net/moto/dl650/farkling/

-ted

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a nice lookin' gadget. See, now I'm thinking about an outlet installation that's a bit more permanent than just storage under my seat. The catch is that I'm heading out on a 3-4 day ride in Michigan's upper penninsula next weekend so I really need to install at least a basic 12v setup for the trip. I checked out the Powerlet Products website and found out they're about 60 miles across town. If I don't get on the ball this weekend I may have to run over there next week for some hands-on suggestions... assuming they have an physical retail location.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update for you...

I called up Powerlet today (a Saturday) and talked with the owner / founder John. In short, I rode out and met with him, he showed me their products. and set me up with exactly what I need. I've already heard from others about the quality of Powerlet products, and now that I know it's backed by a nice, customer-oriented group of people, I highly recommend Powerlet as well.

And keep your eyes open for an announcement... they've started construction on a new retail space that stands to become "a destination spot" for riders. Anticipated grand opening is in a couple months.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I second that motion on the Powerlet product. My 650 has one of their outlets on the left side of the fairing, beside the bars on the black part. Bought a 2 outlet cigarette lighter socket from them too, so that I can run a ham radio and a GPS at the same time. Works like a charm!! :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Powerlet Products Are Great

I realize this is an old conversation but I am just joining the group, so forgive me if I am beating a dead horse. I have had a lot of experience with Powerlet Products and I have spoken with John many times. They are good people, making, distributing and selling useful products for fair prices and he paid me well to say that. No, I am kidding of course. He didn't pay me to say anything but everything else is true.

One of the very first things I did to my brand-new K4 was to remove the helmet lock and bolt on a fairly think plate of aluminum in that same spot. The 11/16 inch hole I drilled in that plate carries the Powerlet PS01 socket which is a copy of the BMW power socket. It works great for my heated vest or anything else I may want to power up. Winter is coming sonn so I will have plenty of time to spiff up this installation with a relay cut off and the addition of a second PS01 socket in a more forward location.

Yep, the Powerlet people are good folks offering useful gadgets.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts