StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to install Sirius or XM on my Wee and was wondering what everyone is using for speakers installed under the padding in your helmet.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Can't stand to have "things' stuffed in my ears so I ended up carving up a set of "decent" quality Pre-China Manufacturing Sony Headphones and putting the "guts" inside my helmet. Headphone plug comes out the left side and down to my pocket where it plugs into my Zen. Simple answer for my "less than sophisticated ears".

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't stand to have "things' stuffed in my ears
you and me both brother. Earbuds hurt after an extended period, especially when I take off my helemt. They seem to get mashed in even further for some reason.

RideTn may have the right idea. I was talking to a Goldwinger today and she had J&Ms also and was very pleased with hers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Can't stand to have "things' stuffed in my ears
So you don't wear earplugs and have speakers turned up loud enough to hear in your helmet? Pretty soon you'll be changing your name to just "What?" ;)

I've been dealing with tinnitus since I was at least 17 (that's when I really noticed it--it made me fail my hearing test and kept me out of the military), due to lots and lots of shooting practice without ear protection. It really sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst nemesis.

I use Etymotic ER-6s. I have my iPod turned up 25% at highway speeds, so it blocks out a lot of noise. They only hurt after a while when I'm wearing my balaclava under my helmet, and that's obviously only when it's cold. The only complaint I have on them is that I need to keep my ears squeaky clean, or wax gets on the filters and they need to be replaced. At a price of $15 for 6 filters, you better believe I keep my ears squeaky clean.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I agree with the earplugs. If you use helmet speakers, the sirius and xm units will not usually be loud enough to hear over the wind noise unless you use an amp. Get some etymotics or some cheaper earplugs with etymotic tips. I bought my Sony's with Etymotic tips for about $25 from Ebay. They are very comfortable and you can run the music volume without boosting it with a Boostaroo or another amp.

bogey78

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
So you don't wear earplugs and have speakers turned up loud enough to hear in your helmet? Pretty soon you'll be changing your name to just "What?" ;)

I've been dealing with tinnitus since I was at least 17 (that's when I really noticed it--it made me fail my hearing test and kept me out of the military), due to lots and lots of shooting practice without ear protection. It really sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst nemesis.

I use Etymotic ER-6s. I have my iPod turned up 25% at highway speeds, so it blocks out a lot of noise. They only hurt after a while when I'm wearing my balaclava under my helmet, and that's obviously only when it's cold. The only complaint I have on them is that I need to keep my ears squeaky clean, or wax gets on the filters and they need to be replaced. At a price of $15 for 6 filters, you better believe I keep my ears squeaky clean.

To each his own. . . .
I have tinnitus in one ear as a result of flying with over priced Bose (rhymes with hosed) noise canceling headphones. My takeaway from visiting the best an brightest about the left ear problem was to "learn to live with it" (I have). My brain has learned to accommodate the ringing and discriminate and separate sounds and noises exceptionally well according to the aforementioned best an brightest.

"Back in the day" I wore earplugs when racing a variety of high pitched two strokes and obnoxiously loud four strokes...worked as best as can be expected for technology "way back when".

Anyway, like I said . . . "Can't stand to have "things' stuffed in my ears".

I am glad to hear that your ears are "squeaky clean" :rolleyes: but you really don't have a clue to what level I have my volume set, the quality of the headphones or even what it sounds like in my helmet. Like the name "implies" compared to what?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts