StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just interested in Android applications for navigation that are readily available on Play Store. Both free ones and those with a charge are fine. i.e. Waze, IGO, Offline Maps, etc.. Why do you like it? What route creation software are you using? i.e. Basecamp, Tyre, Furkot, etc.. I already browsed other forums.

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use Maps.me, i like it because i don't need internet, haven't had any problems yet, just download the maps you need set it and go. happy happy

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
I can't talk of navigating on android as I use a GPS (discussions elsewhere ) but have come to know and love Furkot as a trip planner. It can display your route on your smartphone but leaves the actual navigation for whatever app/device you prefer.

It can export routes or tracks in all kinds of formats.

Completely free (they make their money when you use Furkot to book accommodations .)

For me Furkot saved on my phone provides a backup in case of gps failure.

..Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've tried lots of apps and for on-road, I like TomTom. The interface is similar to a dedicated unit and it does a good job of following a custom route.

I also like Galileo Pro. It's the modern equivalent of a map and highlighter. Easy to store lots of track/waypoints. Does simple navigation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
OsmAnd+
Galileo
I also have tried Locus. Many love it. I find it too complicated for my needs.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
OsmAnd+
Galileo
I also have tried Locus. Many love it. I find it too complicated for my needs.

I've been using OsmAnd+ for a few years.

Pretty easy to set up and use.

I build a route in Goggle maps, convert to a .gpx file with GPS Visualizer and send it to Goggle Drive.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Comparison of commercial satellite navigation software

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of nav programs and comparisons.

It says OsmAnd or OsmAnd+ does not have a 3D navigation mode. Is that right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_commercial_satellite_navigation_software

Generally, Navigon was considered the best of the best but Garmin purchased the company and took it off the market because it was hurting their dedicated device sales. The application was considered a lot better than the software on Garmin's own devices. I read you can still download it some places but it is now unsupported.

The IGO I am using or the Garmin software on my Zumo seems as good as anything out although I prefer the IGO.

Navigon app off the market
Garmin has decided to take all navigation apps – with a few exceptions – off the market as of May 14th, 2018.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts