StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on wiring my battery charging cable that came with my TomTom R2 up to my bike. I want to use an inline fuse like shown in the other threads. However, being electrically disadvantged as I am,I was wandering which amperage of fuse I should use. Planning on using mini fuses.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A 2A would be a good choice.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
If it's truly a "Battery Charging Cable" as opposed to a 12v DC power cable, and if it happens to be a "Quick Charger" it could pull more than 2 or 3 amps initially depending on the the battery and charging circuit. What gauge wire does it have?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 550 bike harness comes with a 2A fuse.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's truly a "Battery Charging Cable" as opposed to a 12v DC power cable, and if it happens to be a "Quick Charger" it could pull more than 2 or 3 amps initially depending on the the battery and charging circuit. What gauge wire does it have?
Not shure. Whatever the wire is that came with the TomtomRider 2. I'm wanting to say maybe a 16ga.?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
16 gauge wire will handle up to 22 amps in open air so it can be fused with up to 15 amps safely. Your GPS should NEVER require that much current. Do as Greywolf recommends and fuse it at 2 amps. If for some reason that doesn't hold you can safely go up some. I wouldn't think it would need more than 5 amps for any reason though. If it does something is most likely wrong somewhere.

Battery CHARGER cables are not exactly the same as DC POWER cables. When charging a battery there is more current draw initially and it will ramp down to virtually nothing as the battery charges. A DC power cable will normally draw the same load continuously. If your GPS cable is truly a charging cable as you said it might draw more than 2 amps initially and cause the fuse to blow. If it is a DC power cable it should not require more than 2 amps to operate the device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts