StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to move my windshield up from the middle set of holes to the top. Removed it, and immediately lost one of the rubber nut/grommets that it screws into. Purchased replacements, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. First, it's a major pain trying to fit them in the hole without falling through before I can get the bolt started. But I managed to get that done and the shield is not being held tightly. The rubber grommet slides in and out, so I ended up just taking it all off. I'm actually happy without the screen, if it didn't look so goofy wo I'd like to get it back on. Any tips? Did I lose some other part that I don't realize? Doesn't seem like it should be so hard to adjust the screen height. Thanks for any help!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
If the rubber grommet is sliding, it isn't being compressed by the threads on the fastener. Make sure they are the same size/thread pitch as the factory rubber well nuts. M5 x .8mm. If the rubber well nut is turning with the fastener it isn't going to tighten. Make sure each fastener runs in and out of the well nuts smoothly by hand before mounting the screen. If you have all the well nuts removed, start them onto the fasteners after putting them through the screen. Then carefully work each one into the appropriate hole in the cowl. Then tight by hand to snug them up. Much easier than trying to fish the fastener into each nut while they are in the screen! Eliminates pushing them through to never never land also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that's what I was doing but it was still loose, but you made me think and I believe I must be putting the rubber grommets in backward. I was putting the wide, flared out end in first. But of course that would never tighten up all the way with the extra half inch pointing out. I probably just need to turn them around and like you said attach to the bolts through windshield first before pushing through the hole. Will try that, thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have different length screws for the top holes versus the bottom (2015 650XT). Not sure why they didn't keep all the same length and minimize false starts (using the long ones on the bottom and then the short screws won;t work on top holes).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm just a dummy. Was pushing the flared end in through the hole, thinking that's what held it in place. After reversing them, no issues. derp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, I'm just a dummy. Was pushing the flared end in through the hole, thinking that's what held it in place. After reversing them, no issues. derp.
In the future if you do it again, lightly coat the rubber with motor oil or at minimum wet it with your saliva. The grommets while pop in the hole much easier. Obligatory ”thats what she said".

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts