StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2005 DL1000 a few months back. Used it mainly for commuting during that time. Recently on a twisty back road I felt the bike slip a bit in a turn. Not sure if it was the front or rear but I didn't like it. Nothing on the road to contribute to it so I took a closer look at the tires. Front tire is an original Battlewing. Rear is the same but newer. I learned from the date code that the front was 10 years old and the rear was 8. :thumbdown: I immediately ordered a new set. Just got them in and was wondering what tire pressure everyone is running? I previously was running 36 psi front and rear. The new tires are Bridgestone BattleAxe Adventure tires.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Trailwings are OEM, not Battlewings. I run 34 or 35 in front, 39 or 40 in the rear. I've owned 3x DL650's since 2005. 125k miles or so when you add them all together.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Presently with shinko 705,s am using 36 front cold, 36 rear cold reduced to 39 to 40 hot seams to extend rear life, also noticed execelent slip resistance on gravely asphalt.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
NorCal, are you getting any help from all this?

Every pneumatic tire needs a certain amount of inflation pressure to carry a certain load. The tire makers have load/inflation tables that they do not share with us. It would be great if someone telephoned the tire makers and asked what the tables show for our size tires and the weight they carry. We'd need to weigh the load on the tires when we're mounted and ready to ride.

Above the minimum pressure needed to safely carry the weight, more pressure causes the tire to flex less, run cooler, and have less traction. Less air, but above the minimum, let's it flex more, run warmer, and have more traction. More air gives a harsher ride; less air gives a softer ride. Higher pressures might give a bit better gas mileage and longer tread life at a cost of less traction and harsher ride.

The sticker on the swing arm and the owner's manual used to show recommended cold inflation pressures for 1-up and 2-up. I think in 2009 the federal rules changed and the sticker & manual must show only the pressures needed for the max load. My new '14 shows 36 front and 41 rear. That worked OK, but I'm trying 36F/39R, and that its OK too, and a bit more comfy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good. I've been running 36/36 and thought it was a bit high. Turns out I'm right on the mark. Heavier bike(than my KLR) requires greater pressure I guess. I just got my new Bridgestone Battleaxe Adventure tires on it and am anxious to break them in. They already feel much stickier than the old Trailwings that came off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts