StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to get a new Vstrom 650, I was wondering what you would suggest for accessories. I am looking at the following:

- Engine/crash guard.
- heated grips
- new windshield? Not sure on that one
- Saddle bags/box and on back. Which brand would you suggest?
-Aux. lights for fog and night riding.
- center stand

Anything else you would suggest. Plus, what accessory would you try and work in in the final sale.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
center stand (for maintenance)
top box WITH LIGHTS (for cargo-helmet)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Don, I'd go for what's on your list minus the heated grips (I don't need them here). All depends on where and how you ride, that's why accessories are accessories.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say a Throttle lock (cruise control) if you are doing long trips. It really takes the pressure off the wrist. I use a simple GO CRUISE throttle control (just google that and you'll find suppliers for it).

If you ride with the same buddies, A SENA 20S bluetooth system or similar is awesome.

A Ram Mount for your phone or GPS is also quite handy.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don, here's what I put on immediately, and glad I did.

Crash bars/engine guards (sw motech)
Skid plate (sw motech)
Barkbuster handguards

I've dropped the bike on both sides in low speed crashes (because let's face it, I suck at driving this thing at this point). They have protected the pretty (and expensive) bits from major damage. Worth the money.

I've also since added auxiliary lights from adventuretech, fork brace, 12v powerlet, battery tender, givi racks and wolfmann saddlebags.

Of those, the first I'd do are the aux lights - HUGE difference in visibility (both seeing and being seen).

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Ride for a while and see what bothers or worries you.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
look in the for sale section here and get a good used one. Less costly loss if you drop it, will already probably have the most common improvements. Then do what most suggested, use it and you'll find what else you steed really needs. Then watch for the items to come up for sale here (or fleabay) and complete the package.

You see that I am a cheapskate .. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
You never said what kind of riding it will be used for. Makes a big difference in what you need.
My first 2 were 1. Center stand 2. Crash bars. Then added as the need arose.

·
Registered
279 Posts
VStrom 1000 here but I don't think that matters.

Crash bars/engine guards (sw motech)
Skid plate (sw motech)
Top Pack
Slip on Exhaust (MIVV)
Windscreen (Mid size light tint VStream)

Not yet but wanted in this order:
Gel seat cover
Drivers back rest
Cruise control

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
I suggest you just enjoy riding it for a bit and see what you need/want. ;)

Oh.....you don't even own one yet.
Ride for a while and see what bothers or worries you.
I'm with Big B and Greywolf; ride it and it will tell what you need to add.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ride it and it will tell what you need to add.
By the time the bike tells you that engine guards are a good idea, you're too late.

As far as I'm concerned, a top box of some sort (large enough for at least your helmet) and a centerstand (if you want to do your own maintenance) are no-brainer accessoires as well. And if you're still in a bargaining position with the dealer, you may want to try and negotiate that they install a set of heated grips as part of the sale.

I have installed all these myself and I found the heated grips the most work. Partly because the #$%^&* connector is so well hidden behind the radiator (need to drop the radiator for access), and partly because it's hard to get the glue exactly right. If I could have bargained someone into doing that work for me, for free, then I would have done it. The other accessoires are simply exterior bolt-on so even with two left hands you should be able to do those yourself.

As far as the other suggestions are concerned: Yes, it's perfectly OK to wait.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think most would agree that a skid plate and engine guards (crash bars) should be first purchases for any bike that doesn't already have them, and indeed not the things you want to wait on since they're for protection and not riding joy. I immediately bought my Hepco & Becker crash bars after laying my bike down in the driveway, fortunately with no lasting damage. Then a center stand. Just about every other add-on is about enhancing your joy (wind deflector, seat, hand guards, girl/boyfriend, ...).

·
Registered
22,256 Posts
If I was to get a new Vstrom 650, I was wondering what you would suggest for accessories. I am looking at the following:

- Engine/crash guard.
- heated grips
- center stand

Anything else you would suggest. Plus, what accessory would you try and work in in the final sale.

Thanks,

Don
hard to suggest without knowing what your riding priorities are, solo adventure? 2up touring ? commuting? fair weather/adverse weather rider ?

I would say get the bike, ride it, and decide what YOU want for YOUR needs, go on groupe rides with other V-strommers to get a look at their accessories and decide what helps your personal rides

for me personally, my first accessory was heated grips, my second was an auxiliary fusebox & necessary relay for a switched power source for other accessories that require electricity

you may want to consider different sprocket gearing, or ergonomic accessories like brar risers or a peg lowering kit

and fwiw, I have 90k on my Vee with no skid pan, no crash bars and no plans on ever installing them, what is an adventure bike anymore susceptible to needing those items if you use it like any other sport tourer

·
Registered
549 Posts

- Engine/crash guard.
- heated grips
- center stand

Don
Crash guard not necessary IMO, unless you expect to drop it (like going into gnarlier off-road situations). Same for belly pan/skid plate. I rode my '02 for 10 years and never needed them. Even went down on pavement at 40 km/h once and the fairing suffered no real damage (tiny point at front touched down) - but that was because my Givi hard bags and racks took the brunt and kept the side of the bike off the road.

Heated grips if you've had them before and know you like them. Depending on what you're after, heated gloves and/or hand covers might be a better bet.

Leave the windshield until you know what you like or dislike about the stock one.

Hard luggage, if you know what you want and that you will use them? Go for it. I put Givi racks and side bags on my '02 pretty much right away. Top box came later. If doing it again I'd probably put the trunk on first for day to day use.

Extra lights? Do you really do a lot of night riding? I don't like riding at night as a general rule, so I've never seen the need. Stock headlights are quite good.

Centre stand? Sure, you can't go wrong there. I've only tried the one that Suzuki sells.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I categorize accessories into convenience, comfort and function/safety. All are fairly personal choices, like picking the bike you ultimately buy to begin with.

If I consider the bike reasonably functional and safe as manufactured, I am going to add convenience farkles first (tank bag right off), comfort second, and function (e.g., crash bars, etc.) last. But that's just me. Others have their own priorities. Another way to look at it is a V-Strom needs all the things you think any bike might do well to have, like a centerstand. Much will be based on your previous habits and how you will use this bike. I'd consider, ride, and reconsider.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,230 Posts
Givi AirFlow acreen was absolutely the #1 item without a doubt for me. That stock screen just sucks. Center stand was #2 for ease of maintenance. Then pannier set (sides and top box) to carry stuff, then crash bars, then BarkBusters. In between I put in an aux. fuse box and wired for GPS and heated gear. Some guys put a new seat near the top of the list but it does ok by me cuz I'm skinny. Congrats on the new ride and enjoy the hell out of it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts