StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had all of my luggage off the Wee to perform some pre trip maintenance i.e. plugs, air filter, coolant renew, etc. When finished, I went for a test ride. Mind you I have not ridden without the luggage in 16,000 miles. Geez! it is like riding a different bike. Lighter more flickable, far better handling all the way around.

As anal as I am, wanting to always be prepared for whatever, I have all kinds of stuff with me at all times. Well, I am going to ditch the luggage for daily riding and use it for traveling only. All the stuff I carry for just in case, will just have to sit home.

Woo-Hoo! I got me a new ride and it didn't cost a dime.:hurray:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Today I had all of my luggage off the Wee to perform some pre trip maintenance i.e. plugs, air filter, coolant renew, etc. When finished, I went for a test ride. Mind you I have not ridden without the luggage in 16,000 miles. Geez! it is like riding a different bike. Lighter more flickable, far better handling all the way around.

As anal as I am, wanting to always be prepared for whatever, I have all kinds of stuff with me at all times. Well, I am going to ditch the luggage for daily riding and use it for traveling only. All the stuff I carry for just in case, will just have to sit home.

Woo-Hoo! I got me a new ride and it didn't cost a dime.:hurray:
Compromise- keep the top box on to carry your wet gear and anything you need to keep secure, this option leaves you with a slim silhouette in traffic.
Use the full luggage when on a trip.

Another option is to fit "cannons" [tubes made out PVC plumbing tube with end caps fitted] to carry basic stuff like wet gear, cable ties, duct tape, oil, water bottle and other stuff.

Personally I've not noticed a big difference between luggage and no luggage, I'm so used to swapping vehicles [cars,trucks, bikes] on a daily basis I just ride/drive the vehicle I'm on/in and don't seem to have any problems with the changes.
Others have reported noticeable differences with and without luggage.

I have two bikes and the 4WD that I own, plus at work I'm swapped through eight different vehicles depending on shift requirements.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I ditched my sidecases three seasons ago for BOTH daily riding and long trips. When on a trip, I carry my gear in drybags, cinched down across the back portion of the seat. All of the weight is now on the centerline, right behind me.

Still "flickable" and also "slim".

·
Registered
522 Posts
The Wee must be more supsetible to weight changes than the Vee. I've ridden with and without my luggage (E36 sides and E52 top) and the bike really feels no different ('07 Vee). I generally ride with it all on just to present a bigger profile since there is no lane splitting in these parts.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The Wee must be more supsetible to weight changes than the Vee. I've ridden with and without my luggage (E36 sides and E52 top) and the bike really feels no different ('07 Vee). I generally ride with it all on just to present a bigger profile since there is no lane splitting in these parts.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't notice a difference on my Wee either.

Even with the 41 litre Givi panniers loaded very uneven on weight balance I don't notice enough of a difference to concern me, only a slight difference of feel on tip in to corners.

·
Registered
759 Posts
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

You will be unhappy the very first time you need one of those 'discarded items'

Just saying...

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

You will be unhappy the very first time you need one of those 'discarded items'

Just saying...
Probably wouldn't be too happy if he did need one of those items anyways. :furious:

If one is willing to rely on another, though, I guess all we really need is a charged cell phone. :yesnod:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
If one is willing to rely on another, though, I guess all we really need is a charged cell phone.
Nope. Not where I ride. Usually there is not cell phone coverage. I take 18 lbs of tools with me though.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Not noticing a loss of bike weight and wind resistance would be like not noticing a naked lady in front of me, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Not noticing a loss of bike weight and wind resistance would be like not noticing a naked lady in front of me, but that's just me.
Ok, so let me clarify.

I adjust for the differences in balance and weight without any concerns.

A bit like adjusting for different road conditions, it just comes naturally [after having been a professional driver for 30 odd years]. :fineprint:

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
I found the same thing, the luggage make the bike more cumbersome. The stock saddle bags also seem to detract from the mileage up to 10 mpg.
The pack behind the seat seems to be a good thing.
I always liked the Jed Clampet look anyway! maybe a spare tire as the icing!

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Point conceded but then, you live on the far fringes of civilization. For most of us, our daily travels don't take us too far into the wilderness.
I find many of my favorite riding areas have poor to non existent cell coverage. Coverage is poor in rural areas, add some mountains and you can pretty much forget it, in my experience. 'Course I prefer to ride in places where you can pretty much stop and pee in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My favorite combination for normal riding is a Givi tail box. Slim profile, no wind resistance, lots of space. For touring, the side cases go on. Well actually for touring the Goldwing comes out, but you get my point :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Learning to ride light.

I have taken very cumbersome loads long distances, and often returned
home having used less than half of my gear, whether it be clothing or
equipment for solving problems. Of course with a reliable bike, I seldom
need to rescue myself. Once, in Skullbone Tennessee, the load was so
top-heavy that I fell down while attempting a U-turn at negligible speed.

My "pared down" baggage is a small aluminum top-box, sometimes with
a smaller plastic top-box bolted atop that, a pair of knapsacks adapted
into a pair of throw-over saddlebags, and a satchel holding down the
saddlebags. My width is no wider than the passenger pegs, folded down.
All this gear is cheap, expendable even, and not at all waterproof.

Inside each saddlebag I have two waterproof boxes, made by cutting the
tops off plastic bottles of kitty-litter, salvaged from recycling bins. (I think
such salvaging may be a felony in some jurisdictions, but I ignore the risk.)
Inside the boxes and satchels, the things I need to keep dry are in stout
plastic bags.

My total expense here is $5, and the bike looks almost as nice as Barry's.

Almost.

Keith

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
My total expense here is $5, and the bike looks almost as nice as Barry's.

Almost.

Keith
Remember though, you came first. ALL of my inspiration has come from the, "Keith Falkner" way of living and riding.

Thanks for the "nod", but the "nod" is your direction.

B.L.

PS: I do suspect that you did "borrow" that $5 from a family member, right? Makes me smile even more!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will most likely continue to carry all the (unnecessary for daily riding) items in my side cases as this is who I am. :thumb up: I was just amazed at the difference in handling without the weight and wind drag of the luggage. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I notice the difference with I mount my HT boxes. The added width also really detracts from lane splitting clearance when the need arises.

When I'm just riding local or around town I normally only use my soft tail and tank bags. That gives me suitable capacity to store extra riding gear, a few groceries, etc. and adds maybe a couple pounds of weight and no extra width.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Weird. I pulled my cases off the bike for a recent group ride with some more 'sporting' riders I know. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. Maybe the missus just has me so brainwashed I don't see ozart's naked lady anymore.

Lane splitting is illegal 'round here. Not that I have the traffic to warrant it most days anyway. But either way, bike width isn't that much of a concern.

Given, my cases are givi E21's and they typically have nothing but my jacket liner and an extra pair of gloves in them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts