StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put some type of cruise control on the strom. I have read about the electronic ones and just don't think I want to go there at this time.
How about the vista cruise, or NEP??? Anyone had some experience with comparing or just using these?
Which would you recommend or is there something else that works better as a friction lock?

Mike c

T

·
0 Posts
I would go with the O-ring c.c. It is the cheapest and I have heard it works really well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been ignoring that option, but maybe I will try it. Is there a specific size o-ring that seems to work better than others?

P

·
0 Posts
Caterpiller part #8M4991 or Caterpillar Part #8M5266. Either will work. I've used both. These are made of silicon, so they will not deteriorate from exposure to sunlight like rubber will. Cost was approximately $3.

J

·
0 Posts
I have the vista cruise universal (I think) it was on my 04 when I bought it last month. The one wit the arm. I used to not like those but this one works pretty well. Fits in snuggly and holds speed well.

P

·
0 Posts
cruise control

How does this caterpillar o'ring work and where do we get it usually?
I'll be puting hand guard on the bike, any interference?
Thanks
Pif.

M

·
0 Posts
My simple Vista cruise control does not fit with the OEM grips. I don't want to get a universal Vista because it takes up too much grip space.

I'm thinking of trying a NEP cruise because I hear its even narrower than the simple Vista.

Does anyone know which model of the NEP cruise works best for the 2004 V-Stroms?

P

·
0 Posts
Re: cruise control

pif said:
How does this caterpillar o'ring work and where do we get it usually?
I'll be puting hand guard on the bike, any interference?
Thanks
Pif.
A Caterpillar dealer or heavy equipment parts & repair place would have them. There is a guy that sells Burgman accessories that also sells them if you don't have local access to them. His name is Jac Vinson, and you can contact him @ [email protected] / phone: 512-454-3469. I use the same size on both the V-Strom & the Burgman.

You simply roll the O-ring onto the bar end weight. To invoke the throttle lock, you just roll it over the valley between the bar end and the throttle grip. You can still operate the throttle manually, but it will stay where you set it. To turn it off, you just roll it back onto the bar end weight.

It would depend on how the hand guard attaches. With the DL1000 there is no interference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought and installed a Throttlemeister on my DL650 --- it worked very well, but was not compatible with Suzuki hand guards. So it's on Ebay now, and the hand guards are on order. If hand guards are not an issue this (like new) set of Throttlemeisters should go for about half price.

Too soon we get old -- too late we get smart :roll:

Old George

·
Registered
144 Posts
mark30pwr said:
My simple Vista cruise control does not fit with the OEM grips. I don't want to get a universal Vista because it takes up too much grip space.

I'm thinking of trying a NEP cruise because I hear its even narrower than the simple Vista.

Does anyone know which model of the NEP cruise works best for the 2004 V-Stroms?
I am using a NEP CC-4. I had to tie the "stop" with a zip-tie to hold it from rotating. Doesn't look very slick, but works okay. Sorry, no pics.

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered the NEP CC-4.

To make your install look better, you could try the small black coloured zip ties that are sold at automotive stores. I did this on my last bike and it looked great.

J

·
0 Posts
I always use Goop to glue the foot to the bike controls. Works fine, holds up, don't really see much.

·
Registered
275 Posts
NEP...

Althugh it looks a little funky I think it works great..

Rides between the housing and the Ridge on the throttle tube. Works Perfect... Nice and Slick.... On when on, off when off

I Love My NEP

Vista Cruise is nice but you really have to Rube Goldberg the thing to make it work......and it still causes the throttle to stick inadvertantly in my experience...

Damn Suzuki ! What is with the Throttle Tube??? And that Damn Ridge..

My Freind has a DRZ 650... Same Throttle Tube

My only complaint about the Bike... SO I'll live with it Right :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Gang !

I had the strom out today... I was looking at my Nep and remembered this post.. Had the Camera Handy so I snapped a few picks.. You can see I drilled one little hole in the hook on the NEP and used a wire tie to affix it to the throtle housing.. I used a blue wire tie cuz thats all I had.. Black would be better..

The Nep has the Best Fit and the Best Action... Although it looks a little bulky it's really fine

5 or 6 More Pictures are here
http://home.earthlink.net/~chrisnagy7/NEP/

for a stupid little piece of plastic.. it is handy

·
Registered
9 Posts
nep cruise

I there a specific model of nep that was used? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vista-Cruise

The Vista Cruise does narrow the throttle grip some, but it works so well that I don't care. It is the quickest on-off-on and if it is adjusted right, the safest. Thumb it on....thumb it off.

Maby I don't mind the space used as much as some because I always use a Throttle Rocker (original, not the velcro thing they have now) with it so I never really grip the throttle that much anyway.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts