StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding in the rain, when i get off the bike i have noticed that my seat is wet. So far this has not bothered me as it has only happened on short trips. My concern is that if I'm out on a longer ride eventually that water is going to soak through my pants making for a very cold and uncomfortable ride.
I did not have this problem on my 06' 650.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Would a Fenda extenda possibly fix this?
TIA

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
Did you get really really really scared when riding the bike? Perhaps enough that you maybe. Just maybe had an.... Accident? :)

Seriously, I put a few miles on my 2006 and can't say that my crotch got wet when riding in rain as long as I had appropriate rain gear on. Yes I did have a fends extends after the first 20,000 or so miles, but don't recall it being an issue before then either.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Rain gear? Frog toggs?
I went through some frog stranglers and my Aerostitch din't give me a wet crotch.
The Armpit gussets were open and I realized the err of that! I'm on an 04 Wee.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Even with my frogg toggs on , after several hours riding in the rain , my crotch and ass get wet .

After the last event , I actually bought a cheap kayak spray skirt , that would wrap around my waist , cover the tank bag , and maybe the camping gear strapped to the pillion seat . Of course , I didn't take it to the leafpeeper tour in Maine , and had 2 days of rain on the way home .

My findings so far : Joe Rocket gear is NOT waterproof . It is not water resistant . It is a sponge . Tourmaster gear is much , much better , but still no match for several hours of riding in the rain . Frogg toggs make my torso absolutely warm and dry , but with 4 hours between gas stops , a puddle forms in my lap , and will eventually soak through .

note : I'm not talking about a light mist , or a 20 minute sprinkle , I'm talking about that huge swath of red and green you see on the radar image , that covers the entire eastern seaboard - home is on the other side of it , and I have to work tomorrow .

Alex

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have noticed it seems to retain water even if you wipe it down, like if you leave it out overnight and some dew soaks in.
Might try some lamb seat covering or something like that, might also help with the pain the butt this seat seems to deliver after a few hours :)

Also I use, and this may be getting a little personal :yikes: , only polypropylene underwear.

I cant post links yet but they are the ExOfficio Give-N-Go briefs. They are quick dry for traveling and make awesome drawers for riding. Amazon usually has them for about 13$

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks for the replies. I have tourmaster gear that works nicely when rained on, but sitting on water is just not ideal and will eventually soak through.
I believe the water is coming from the road spray up. Has no one else noticed this between the newer and older version vstrom?. my seat was never wet on my wee. what gives?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since I started using a Beadrider, my but stays dry because it lifts the rider up but the rain runs through.

G

·
0 Posts
My seat was soaked during my trip. I had over 350 miles of pouring rain on a few days. I was wearing klim pants and would just give a quick hand slap on the seat before getting on the bike.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I keep a quick-dry camping/backpacking towel under my seat. I will pop the seat off, shake off the water and wipe it down with the towel. Then hop on and go. That plus good rain gear keeps my butt dry.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
On the outside of your rding gear, wear adult diapers, inside-out.

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
In long periods of rain whether heavy or not, water collects in my crotch area from run off down my jacket and helmet, and that is what ends up soaking my crotch and butt area eventually.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gonna kinda derail here, anyone have issues with water on there faceshields? I recently was caught in a bad rainstorm and traffic was terrible so I didn't have wind to "wipe" away the water. What do you guys do about this?

Back on topic though, I was lucky enough to get a nice pair of rain pants from a member in the pay it forward free thread! Have to give a shout out to everready for them. Anyways I had them on and had no water on my butt/crotch. However the rain was coming down so hard it had begun to penetrate the zippers that run up the side of the legs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've noticed the updraft on the bike as air wraps around the front fairing carries alot of rain with it and collects on the seat. I've used a 4 wheeler Stearn's seat pad from Wally world. It has helped raise me above the pond that forms.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I try to stay out of the rain because I haven't found gear where the crotch doesn't leak. I didn't use a windshield on my old bike so I had a lot of water running down off my chest.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gonna kinda derail here, anyone have issues with water on there faceshields? I recently was caught in a bad rainstorm and traffic was terrible so I didn't have wind to "wipe" away the water. What do you guys do about this?
I reach up and wipe with my hand. You can get some rain gloves that also have a little "wiper blade" attached to one of the thumbs that you can squeegee your shield with.

I would rather ride in the straight rain that get the mist kickup from cars in front of me... the rain will bead and run off in the wind, but that mist tends to collect causing you to have to manually wipe it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
After the last event , I actually bought a cheap kayak spray skirt , that would wrap around my waist , cover the tank bag , and maybe the camping gear strapped to the pillion seat .
Hmmmm...now you got me thinking about maybe packing my 'dry suit' to get into when a major downpour is imminent. :yesnod:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts