StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is only my second spring riding, and last spring was mainly parking lots. I have been taking it really so far this year with all of the grap on the roads and the cold tires. I read that riding in the cold is like riding in the rain.

Which leads me to today! I road the bike to work, it's not terribly cold at about 45F. However we have a heavy rain warning for right when I leave work! Awesome haha. Any difference in wet and cold? should I just get my wife to pick me up? lol. I have about a 15 mile commute home.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
not much concern on a 15 minute commute, but the most important thing on a ride of any length it to stay warm and dry, hypothermia is a killer, reaction times and cognitive function/decision making is comparable to that of a drunk. If you are shivering, you are hypothermic

commuting is not racing, follow recommended 2 second separation, stick with flow of traffic speeds, cold tires or wet roads are of no concern except for the obvious considerations of things like black ice, bald tires or rain so hard you can't see where your going

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I take it you have no heated gear and no waterproof gear? I don't mind riding in the rain, and I don't mind riding in the cold. I just dress appropriately, heated gear for cold and goretex for rain. If the temps are in the 80 to 90 degree range I skip the rain gear and just get wet. Forvcold and rain, I wear both the heated gear and the rain gear. 15 minutes of riding in the cold rain isn't likely to kill you, but you're gonna be cold as hell when you get home. ATV he minimum, get yourself some goretex shells to pull on over the our regular gear.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some waterproof gear, it's not the best but it's adequate. I am also dressed for cold weather and have heated grips.

I'm fine riding in the cold and i'm fine riding in the rain. I just didn't know if mixing the two together was going to cause me any problems or not.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You should have no problems with that short commute. I don't have heated gear, but have frog toggs for the rain and they also add an additional layer of warmth. Have ridden hundreds of km's in this type of weather, rain included, just keep away from traffic in the rain if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
wet and cold

Tenny80, you've not been wet & cold until you've ridden in Newfoundland. See ya Sunday.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
I can't speak for you but I have gear that keeps me warm and dry and don't worry about high winds or rain in my 80km commute. This evening's for at wouldn't change my mind at is stage of my riding experience. It took me a lot of silliness and stupid rides before I learned how to make it work for me and what my limits should be. Sadly to some extent I'm still learning.

I would suggest if it really concerns you then be safe and get a ride home. There is no shame in coming home alive but lots of shame in having a crash when you could have easily avoided it.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Sometimes I worry to much haha. I got thinking that cold is less traction and rain is less traction so when you combine them is it like riding on freakin ice haha.

·
Registered
22,196 Posts
Thanks guys! Sometimes I worry to much haha. I got thinking that cold is less traction and rain is less traction so when you combine them is it like riding on freakin ice haha.
if its cold enuf, it can become ice

I find that motorcycles are a lot less prone to hydroplaning than car, you can go thru deeper water, but slick oily spots are even slipperier when wet, like a steel grate bridge deck

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think you're right that the two combined are worse than either alone, Tenny80. The big factor in cold, wet weather (other than a cold brain) is that the tires may not ever really warm up so you will always be experiencing lower traction. Dark, wet roads can hide sand patches better and puddles can hide potholes.
The traction is usually adequate for normal riding, but if you need to do a quick stop, beware of startling that front tire! It'll lock up very quickly and with much less warning that when it's warm. :yikes:

EJ

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Really cold is having to slide your clutch side hand sideways off the grip, then awkwardly reach over and use that as a hammer to get your throttle hand loose.

Peter

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I ride in near freezing in the rain a lot here in the Pacific Northwest, 15 minutes is probably not long enough to become hypothermic in proper gear

Best suggestion I can add is watch for painted lines, they become very slippery when wet and cold...

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
I ride in near freezing in the rain a lot here in the Pacific Northwest, 15 minutes is probably not long enough to become hypothermic in proper gear

Best suggestion I can add is watch for painted lines, they become very slippery when wet and cold...
Here's what your bike might look like after riding half an hour when it is at freezing and raining:

..Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts