StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the ear canal sound dampening, they're comfortable, they block outside noise and allow music in. They sound fantastic.

Best part... I stepped on mine, they fixed them for free.

Made in the USA

·
Rjsurfer
539 Posts
How do you compare their noise blocking capability to lets say a standard foam ear plug, which has a Db rating of 32?

The reason I ask, I'm getting some bike to bike commo gear and I might switch out their helmet speakers for earpieces. I'm afraid if I use the foam ear plugs (which work very well in eliminating road noise) I won't be able to hear the speaker output.

Ron

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very familiar with foamies being around aircraft for 20 years, I still carry them on my bike. The UM1's are foamies with a tube down the middle for the audio source of your choice. The UM1 foamies come two sizes and the larger option fill my ear canal the same way.

I can play my music at slightly high volume, and I cannot hear my Stebel horn sound off.

I would definately recommend them for a comm system.

Better pic with large foamy

·
Registered
137 Posts
How are they on price though? I've got a couple pairs of Shures and love them, but you do pay for the quality and outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the ear canal sound dampening, they're comfortable, they block outside noise and allow music in. They sound fantastic.

Best part... I stepped on mine, they fixed them for free.

Made in the USA

Thanks for the post, Scotty. The gray (foam) Comply tips, although expensive, are the best available in my opinion. I'm glad Westone could assist you with your repairs!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UM1's run about $100.00 (single driver). They are not cheap. UM2's are $200.00 ish (dual driver).

I'm familiar with high ens sound. Honestly my hearing loss, and the fact that the majority of time used is on the Strom, the UM1's are a perfect blend of quality -vs- price.

The headphone are good enough I hear flaws in my mp3 rips I've never noticed previously. I've gone back to re-rip some music in mp3 and in wav. To listen to the difference.

I am going back to Westone to request they consider a rider version of the UM1. It should includes an inline volume and mute control that can be clipped to a jacket, and is big enough to contol with gloves on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UM1's run about $100.00 (single driver). They are not cheap. UM2's are $200.00 ish (dual driver).
Scotty, street price on the Westone UM2 is $299.00. The UM1 is probably a bit better for a motorcycle application (due to its slim profile, single-speaker design), particularly if your helmet fits tightly in the earcup area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm dumbo when it comes to.....

It all comes down to how well these fit your ear and how they hang on your head. Don't know exactly why, I just can't wear the headphones I have under my helmet anymore..

A rubber "nipple style" resulted in me getting a pretty painful sore in my inner canal. Still curios of some alternative. Just a precaution I wish so that no one experience the same thing. Maybe this goes for all the rubber styles??? Don't really know. But I will look for foam or something else in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts